Eric Sexton stepping down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    His time as AD was a disaster. Two complete failures in dealing with the women's BB issue where it seems he ignored complaints time and time again, and then of course his infamous handling of fHCGS which the baseball program and reputation of GS is still recovering. Oh.. In addition to an NCAA violation on his watch.
    lol. I see the firing of HCGS being a plus for the AD. The fact is it is probably more of testament of how many bridges Gene burnt with the supporters of athletic program than the AD backbone.

Comment

I'm not losing any sleep over this.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
        This. Everyone one here is really quick to bash Sexton, and I can understand why. But he is almost never given any credit for the good things that happened under his watch, and there was a lot of good. Not really fair IMO.
        When things go good, the person in charge usually gets to much credit. When things go bad, the person in charge usually gets to much blame.

I thank Eric Sexton for his time and efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          lol. I see the firing of HCGS being a plus for the AD. The fact is it is probably more of testament of how many bridges Gene burnt with the supporters of athletic program than the AD backbone.
          True that! ADES was walking a tightrope with the whole HCGS thing. Many here thought he should have been gone 2 or 3 years before it happened. ADES didn't want to piss off some major donors who evidently stuck with HCGS until the ship went down.

That's what's hard about being an AD. I think Sexton waited about the right amount of time before pulling the trigger, because HCGS kept piling up wreckage behind him and in the end, lost support of almost all the big donors (and those who were left were persuadable about a change).

If he had pulled the trigger 2 or 3 years earlier, he might have been run out of town, not to mention the loss of funds represented by the big donors who didn't want to change until it was way past obvious the change was needed.

As far as his replacement, I'd say give him another year. If he doesn't show some good improvement, then fire him. The pitching coach he recently hired gives me some hope that we might be headed back in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
            I agree. I doubt that Veritas has the level of mental functioning (as well as patience and political savy) needed to last in the AD's job for a long time.

The way I look at this is that Bardo has the right to select his own staff. Bardo wants his team and as a result, Sexton was asked to leave.

This happens in organizations every day, both large and small. I'm hoping that Bardo will hire a highly qualified AD who is 'his guy', because if he doesn't, the stink in the air will stretch from Omaha to Oklahoma City.
            You're correct. I would not have the patience or ass kissing ability to be a good AD

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
              "...a disaster" - hardly, excellent example of overreaching in your criticism; how many Athletic Departments in conferences comparable to the MVC can match WSU's athletic performances during Sexton's eight year reign as AD? We know the answer regards the MVC - NONE!

In Sexton's eight years as AD the Shockers won 38 MVC titles; witnessed an improvement in Academic Progress Rate (APR) to a record high of 977; had ten Shocker teams with perfect 1,000 APR multi-year rates; received no APR penalties; and in his final year Shocker teams won six (6) league championships, finishing first or second in 9 of 15 sports.
              And how much of that success was set up by his predecessor? 85-90%.
              How much of the fubar handling of the baseball coach and W basketball team fiasco was led by Sexton? 100%

Comment

How much of the fubar handling of the baseball coach and W basketball team fiasco was led by Sexton? 100%
                "64 percent of all the world's statistics are made up right there on the spot
                82.4 percent of people believe 'em whether they're accurate statistics or not"

Comment

Originally posted by chitown_shocker View Post
                  "64 percent of all the world's statistics are made up right there on the spot
                  82.4 percent of people believe 'em whether they're accurate statistics or not"
                  Must be true. Everyone knows you can't lie on the internet.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Your post calls the old Mark Twain quote to mind.......

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      So much for the "promotion" to VP of Studernt Affairs. Maybe now Bardo can hire an AD.
                      So much for the notion that former VP Sexton will succeed President Bardo.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Take this however you will, but I heard from an internal source that when Sexton was "promoted", it was to get him out of the way. It's been long enough that I can't remember much of the specifics, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngineer View Post
                          Take this however you will, but I heard from an internal source that when Sexton was "promoted", it was to get him out of the way. It's been long enough that I can't remember much of the specifics, though.
                          I think that was pretty much the consensus of opinion on ShockerNet at the time it was done. It is clear Dr. Bardo is trying to define his vision for the Shocker athletic program and once that is in place he will make a decision on who should lead the program forward. Hopefully he will formulate and choose wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                            So much for the notion that former VP Sexton will succeed President Bardo.
                            Why do you say that, Ricky? He'll be available whenever the time comes.

Governor Reagan left politics altogether for a while after his terms in California, but he managed to find his way back when we needed a president.

Comment

Where's Danny Ainge?
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                                Why do you say that, Ricky? He'll be available whenever the time comes.

Governor Reagan left politics altogether for a while after his terms in California, but he managed to find his way back when we needed a president.
                                I could be wrong, but if President Bardo had former VP Sexton in his succession plan, I doubt, if Mr. Sexton would have resigned.
                                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X