Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you need a good laugh - Marshall to ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you need a good laugh - Marshall to ???

"Tom Keegan: Nine potential successors for Self" - KU Sports.Com

The recent report that the coach-shopping Houston Rockets were “intrigued” by Big 12 bosses Bill Self and Shaka Smart served as a reminder that all good things come to an end. Eventually, although not likely any time soon, Self will probably want to take a crack at coaching the best basketball players on the planet […]

The pertinent piece:

Gregg Marshall (Wichita State, 10-12): Routinely shafted by the NCAA Tournament committee with far worse seeds or bracket placements than his teams deserve, Marshall consistently gets the best out of his aggressive teams.

The Shockers have made five consecutive NCAA Tournaments, reached the Final Four in 2013, went 35-1 in 2014 and lost in a classic cliffhanger to national runner-up Kentucky, knocked off Kansas in 2015 and in this past tourney defeated Vanderbilt and Arizona before losing to Miami. At Winthrop, his teams made the tourney seven of nine seasons.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Since it's Tom Keegan who wrote it, it should really start out like this:

"Routinely shafted by the NCAA Tournament committee, as well as myself in the polls,"
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Hell will freeze over before Gregg takes the KU job. That's not a slight on him either. The Snob Hill types would think that they can do better. They would be wrong but they'll still look elsewhere.
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          Since it's Tom Keegan who wrote it, it should really start out like this:

"Routinely shafted by the NCAA Tournament committee, as well as myself in the polls,"
          Yep. This is the part that gets old. Even the comments from the likes of Calipari that everyone seems to like. Everyone is pissed when their team has to play 11 seed WSU, but no one is upset the 4 months prior. Instead they are arguing that their conference is super tough and Vanderbilt should totally be ranked in the polls and a 7 seed in the tourney.

Either put your mouth where your money is and talk/vote up WSU during the regular season, or suck it up and take it like a man when post-season WSU shoves your unrighteous condescension down your throat again in the post-season.

Comment

I don't think Self will take the Pacers job.

Comment

Interesting that KU media would actually put Marshall on the list.. Seriously, have they ever put Bill Snyder on a football coach candidate list? Lol.

Comment

That has to be the laziest piece I've seen (granted I haven't seen many) on "what ifs" to replace Self.

Someone from the Sunflower could have written a more engaging piece from their phone sitting in the bathroom.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Even the ku fans in the comments were laughing that he included Marshall on the list.
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

If The Rug ever goes to the NBA, which strikes me as possible but unlikely at this point, the only Gregg the high and mighty folks at The Flagship will want to talk to is Popovich, because they think so highly of themselves that anyone anywhere should be honored just to hear from them. So why not start at the top?

The most likely name on that list isn't the current Shocker coach, it's the former Shocker who preceded Marshall. MT would be thrilled, and would be their guy for as long as he continues coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      If The Rug ever goes to the NBA, which strikes me as possible but unlikely at this point, the only Gregg the high and mighty folks at The Flagship will want to talk to is Popovich, because they think so highly of themselves that anyone anywhere should be honored just to hear from them. So why not start at the top?

The most likely name on that list isn't the current Shocker coach, it's the former Shocker who preceded Marshall. MT would be thrilled, and would be their guy for as long as he continues coaching.
                      Well Popovich once was a volunteer assistant at KU.

Comment

Originally posted by washedup View Post
                        Either with Self or Calipari. I can't remember.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by washedup View Post
                          Yes, the Spurs have a number of connections to the Chickenhawks, with Larry Brown being involved in their family tree too.

Comment

Self is buddies with RC Buford (IIRC born or raised in ICT) who is the GM of the Spurs. I could see maybe that being a possible NBA job.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
                              Self is buddies with RC Buford (IIRC born or raised in ICT) who is the GM of the Spurs. I could see maybe that being a possible NBA job.
                              RC is indeed from ICT, attended Collegiate before TA&M, OSU and KU and being an assistant for Larry Brown. There's a special place in my heart for his family. They are wonderful and amazing people.

Comment

Working...
                              X