Asst. Coach's Perspective on Next Year's PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asst. Coach's Perspective on Next Year's PG

It was reported by Kunkel on his Sports Sunday show...

I know - I must be thrown into a bottomless pit and stoned (that's stoned to death - not the Colorado variety of stoned) for listening to Kunkel, but it's the off-season.

Kunkel said he had talked to one of the assistant coaches and the assistant coach was expecting Smith to be the primary PG and Shamet to be his backup.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Interesting. Guess that answers some questions about Frankamp's position. Also probably means Shamet starts at point day 1 since JUCO guys typically take a semester before they're ready to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        It was reported by Kunkel on his Sports Sunday show...

I know - I must be thrown into a bottomless pit and stoned (that's stoned to death - not the Colorado variety of stoned) for listening to Kunkel, but it's the off-season.

Kunkel said he had talked to one of the assistant coaches and the assistant coach was expecting Smith to be the primary PG and Shamet to be his backup.
        Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Interesting. Guess that answers some questions about Frankamp's position. Also probably means Shamet starts at point day 1 since JUCO guys typically take a semester before they're ready to start.
        This would not be a surprise to me, although I hope it doesn't take all of the short first semester. The preseason trip should help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          PG's are like quarterbacks, until you see how a guy reacts when the pass rush is real, you don't know what you've got. We all hope one of these guys can run the team but we won't know for sure until the games count.

Comment

Has anyone said "if this or that guy starts, a lot has gone wrong with the team" yet?
            Also, I'm confident that Marshall will do what is best for the team.

Now, that I've said those to things up front, we can all skip the entire off season because I have covered it all.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              The preseason trip should help a lot.
              excellent point, those games will go a long way in determining what happens at PG.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                Has anyone said "if this or that guy starts, a lot has gone wrong with the team" yet?
                Also, I'm confident that Marshall will do what is best for the team.

Now, that I've said those to things up front, we can all skip the entire off season because I have covered it all.
                I've heard someone say "If JR starts, something has gone wrong" from someone. Which I tend to agree with.

Comment

Keep in mind, this came from Kunkel, who said he heard from an assistant coach. Knowing how those guys roll, and considering the source, it could've been an assistant coach for the Emporia State women's softball team that he heard from.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                    Keep in mind, this came from Kunkel, who said he heard from an assistant coach. Knowing how those guys roll, and considering the source, it could've been an assistant coach for the Emporia State women's softball team that he heard from.
                    Also keep in mind that even if it was a WSU assistant coach, none of the new incoming PGs are even on campus yet. Let alone practicing with the rest of the team.

Comment

I think that most of this is what I remember too.

However, I think that I remember Kunkel saying that an assistant coach told him that he expected Daishon Smith to be the point guard next year and then Jeffrey Parsons added that he expected Landry to play a lot of point guard too. Just a minor correction but I don't think that the assistant coach ever mentioned Landry to Kunkel. Anyone else who might add what they heard?

We will have to wait for more information until after the trip to Canada this summer.

Comment

Pick up games should be interesting this summer.
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

I'd like to see who runs the show for those games now. We know it's been FVV for several years, but now does one of the juniors step up and be that guy, or is it somebody like Landry or Markis that takes on that responsibility? Or who knows, maybe it just moves down to the seniors and JR and Bush run the show.
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Isn't Assistant coach what Kunkle calls his left nut? I thought I read that on his Twitter account or something.

Comment

Not sure this is so much the perspective of a Shocker assistant as it is Punkle's perspective of our they interpreted some probably off hand comments that they may or may not have heard 1st hand from a Shocker assistant. The usual highly reliable, deeply researched information we have to come to expect from this source.

Comment

Working...
                              X