Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
    My Girl https://youtu.be/bZh7nRw6gl8

This song used to a staple, but I am not sure I have heard it lately.
    Haha, for a moment there I thought I was going to hear a brass version of a Nirvana song.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      I don't care how old you are ... you've seen Rocky I, II, III, IV, and V. My SEVEN year old identifies with Rocky.

We need that blaring when Marshall comes out of tunnel.

Never gets old.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• When the band played "New York, New York" when we won the game to go to Madison Square Garden, that was FANTASTIC. I suppose we could adopt "By the Time I get to Phoenix" since we missed "going to Houston, Houston, Houston" this season.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• The lyrics to most the songs are. "Hey! Go Shockers!", "Heeeey eehhhh ohhhh. Shockers gonna shock em again", "Let's go Shocks!", and of course the lyrics to You don't want to go to War.

Comment

• Originally posted by SaxyShocker View Post
            The lyrics to most the songs are. "Hey! Go Shockers!", "Heeeey eehhhh ohhhh. Shockers gonna shock em again", "Let's go Shocks!", and of course the lyrics to You don't want to go to War.
            Are you all required to play the war song at the exact same time every game? It would be cool to see it used interchangeably with the low brass when we're on a run.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              Are you all required to play the war song at the exact same time every game? It would be cool to see it used interchangeably with the low brass when we're on a run.
              According to my son, who was in the pep band the previous four years, they do it at a specific media timeout in the 2nd half. I want to say it's either the under-12 or under-8.

I would also like to see it be played situationally. Of course, that means it might not get played every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                We are suppose to play War for a specific media timeout but could definitely work it in at other points in the game (depending on how it's going). We try to reserve it to get the crowd pumped back up but sometimes we just need to play something with lots of fast drums to keep the energy going. Since we only play Low Brass Cheer at high moments we tend to default to that one first since we don't play it as often.

Comment

• I hate that War has to be played at the Under 12 media timeout. Many times a game is still in doubt, and as an opponent, that would be my rallying cry.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    I don't care how old you are ... you've seen Rocky I, II, III, IV, and V. My SEVEN year old identifies with Rocky.

We need that blaring when Marshall comes out of tunnel.
                    I've always thought what should happen is that after the players are announced they start playing the theme to Jaws and then announce Gregg as our coach.

Comment

• Maybe it's just me but the Band does a lot more for the university than the SGA does. SGA is a worthless club that doesn't really do anything that couldn't be handled by other departments. It just gives a small group of Hilary/Bernie voters a chance to play politics.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                        I hate that War has to be played at the Under 12 media timeout. Many times a game is still in doubt, and as an opponent, that would be my rallying cry.
                        Honestly, we agree with you guys a lot on this. The band, the year we introduced it, would play it as a rallying cry or when it was already set in stone at the very end of the game. The next year, the media department mandated when we play it in the 2nd half. Since then, it feels wrong to play a song like that more than once a game, so we have to follow their rules.

Comment

• It's been reported that the SGA was responding to budget constraints when they decided to stop funding the Pep Band.

The latest round of budget cuts to WSU were $500,000 per month. Did some of that funding cut get passed on to SGA, which made them make cuts in what they funded?
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I am one of the 1% (well, the lower 1%) and old. Referring back to the song book, my favorites (besides Hail Wichita) are Them Changes and Land of a Thousand Dances. Lots of bands play Land . . . but none as good as our band. A few years back, the band used to play a killer version of Soulfinger. That's one I would like to hear again. Almost forgot, I love our version of Can't Turn You Loose. I miss the Fight Song and wonder why it is not played at men's games anymore. I know it is played at women's games. Before I finish, I would like to thank all band members, past and present, for your work, dedication, and spirit. You are awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuchalk View Post
                              I miss the Fight Song and wonder why it is not played at men's games anymore. I know it is played at women's games.
                              Before my time the distinction was made that Fight song is specifically the women's song and Hail is the men's song. I think this was so it was more recognizable? Whoever arranged Hail though did a good job because musically, it is pretty similar to Fight, just a few slight variations. Also, I know that internally Hail is preferred because it is considered a better version of Fight. Playing wise it feels more upbeat and gives a happier feel.

Comment

• Prior to the late 90s, both fight songs were used at will for men's and women's games. That decision to make one for men's and the other for women's was made be a grad assistant at some point (I believe), and to be honest makes no sense to me. They are both fight songs for the university - Hail Wichita is the older one, and Shocker Fight was written after we became a state university. I have no idea if Shocker Fight was intended to replace Hail Wichita or not, but the inclusion of the little Hail Wichita snippet in Shocker Fight was very much intentional. As for my opinion, both fight songs should be used at both men's and women's games.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X