Fred not 100% at any point in the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred not 100% at any point in the season

This has been talked about in many threads already, and I fully expect to see a story about it at some point.

Throughout the offseason, we constantly heard about how Fred was training and working on his vertical very seriously. As someone who has also done the same thing (albeit in my senior year in high school), I can tell you that while you are working on building up that strength, you are also working on stretching that muscle out.
    I don't know how Fred did it, but my main workout was with kettle bells, specifically a Turkish Get-Up variant. I also did hang- and Power cleans, squats, and then a heavy dose of body weight workouts, focusing on resistance. I would do box jumps, foot dexterity work on little boxes, and pushing small 100 lb sleds across a rubber floor, most with black elastic resistance bands either holding me down or back. Stretching was also very important throughout the day to keep that hammie flexible.

All of that added up to high and heavy use of a muscle that was largely undeveloped compared to the rest of my muscles (In fact, most ACL injuries are related to an underdeveloped hamstring). During these workouts, my coach kept after me to watch my form and kept a close eye on how much I did because any lapse in mental focus or a slight misstep could cause an injury to that muscle.

Now Fred is a consummate professional in what he does, and Rosenboom is one of the best in the business, but Fred was in a slightly higher risk of injury because of his hamstring workouts.

So he hurt his hamstring and rushed his recovery, all understandably. I don't believe, and agree with many on here, that Fred was ever 100% and still might not be. He didn't play on the All Star team and was actually sidelined during workouts, which was evidenced by his snapchat. His inclusion was a recognition of the body of effort he put in and his absolute dominance over the course of his career.

We love you Fred, and I look forward to seeing you lead the team that de-thrones the Warriors.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

I am in total agreement. Fred's first step wasn't as quick. His reaction on D wasn't as quick. His stop and go moves weren't as crisp. He wasn't as elusive when he drove to the basket.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Yep and I think it all went back to the summer and the stress he put on his hamstrings just so he could dunk the ball.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
        Yep and I think it all went back to the summer and the stress he put on his hamstrings just so he could dunk the ball.
        You make it sound so juvenile and meaningless. His efforts last summer were to improve his quickness and jumping ability. As a better athlete, he had a much better chance in the NBA. Your post makes it sound like he was working tirelessly just to dunk for the sake of dunking.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          You make it sound so juvenile and meaningless. His efforts last summer were to improve his quickness and jumping ability. As a better athlete, he had a much better chance in the NBA. Your post makes it sound like he was working tirelessly just to dunk for the sake of dunking.
          I said it the way I said it because he was already quick, he just didn't have the ups to go along with it. His pursuit of increasing his vert in a short amount of time hurt him and the team. With the Fred from the sophomore and junior season we lose 1-2 games, avoid the play in round and might be playing tonight. Senior Fred was not the best version of Fred. Why? He got hurt. Why did he get hurt? His pursuit to put himself beyond reproach of any critic put his body at a higher risk of injury.

It is what it is.

Comment

Fred pushed himself to improve this offseason. It's possible that manifested itself in a negative fashion in an injury. That could not have possibly disappointed anyone more than Fred.

Fred pushed himself to improve the past 15 years. It resulted in an All-American PG that played for WSU.

I want guys that keep pushing themselves to improve. Generally, things will work out in favor of those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              Fred pushed himself to improve this offseason. It's possible that manifested itself in a negative fashion in an injury. That could not have possibly disappointed anyone more than Fred.

Fred pushed himself to improve the past 15 years. It resulted in an All-American PG that played for WSU.

I want guys that keep pushing themselves to improve. Generally, things will work out in favor of those guys.
              Couldn't agree more. It is possible that the emphasis FVV was working on contributed to his injury. It's also possible that the hammy got tweaked while he was doing stairs or any other number of exercises he's done for years. I think it's silly for people to ASSUME that FVV was injured "because he wanted to be able to dunk."
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
              X