OU- Worst loss in Final 4 history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OU- Worst loss in Final 4 history

I like seeing it happen to football schools that have no business hiring good basketball coaches.. Their board is trying not to talk about it because in reality, they don't care.

Would be cool if UNC stomps the Cuse for 35+.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Go shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by roundhouse View Post
        Go shockers!
        +1

Comment

Whew, now we can finally say "It's a great half-century to be a Shocker!" Got tired of holding my breath there for a while! :)

Comment

not so fast, shocker lovers. yahoo reported that the worst final four losses (before tonight) were oregon state in '62 (never knew they even made a final four) and penn in '79 (that one i remember).

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
              not so fast, shocker lovers. yahoo reported that the worst final four losses (before tonight) were oregon state in '62 (never knew they even made a final four) and penn in '79 (that one i remember).
              Oregon State lost to Cincinnati 46–80 or 34 points and Penn lost to the Spartans 67–101 34 points and the Shockers by 36

Comment

I have an idea. Let's "confess" that a couple team members on the '64 squad got 50% off coupons on their NCAA merchandise, and therefore that loss should be vacated!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  I have an idea. Let's "confess" that a couple team members on the '64 squad got 50% off coupons on their NCAA merchandise, and therefore that loss should be vacated!
                  I had no idea the '64 squad lost that badly in the final 4 until this morning. Lol. And of course.. A couple KU fans also brought it up. But in the end, unlike any other sport, college basketball charishes big game losses. No matter how you lose, you still made it there.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                    I had no idea the '64 squad lost that badly in the final 4 until this morning. Lol. And of course.. A couple KU fans also brought it up. But in the end, unlike any other sport, college basketball charishes big game losses. No matter how you lose, you still made it there.
                    Good point. I'll take a 36 point loss in the F4 over a 1 point loss in the E8 every day of the week!

Comment

After our game next year, it will be their 2nd worst loss ever
                      Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Anybody that thinks they're making a smart remark by bringing up a WSU "3rd place game" 36 point loss is so full of it they'd jam up the main sewer line.

First, it was not a semi-final or final game, it was a 3rd place game.

During the tournament, the Shockers were playing without 6'7" Stallworth (eligibility ran out) and 6'10" Bowman, also a future NBA player, (became academically ineligible during the year) that left the team's tallest player at 6'5".

The Shocks beat SMU and Okie St to get to the F4.

Playing the F4 in Portland, OR, the Shocks lost to UCLA by 19. A UCLA team that had 3 players going to the NBA including NBA Hall of Famer Gail Goodrich who put up a then record 42 on Michigan in the finals (which UCLA won by 9).

Then, we played Princeton for 3rd who had another NBA HoF'r in Bill Bradley. As a note, Princeton beat Villanova in the regional final by 40.

I wonder how well UCLA or Princeton would have played against our remaining team without Goodrich/Bradley and their center?

This was a valiant run by our Shockers in 1965!

One more thing, Ralph Miller had moved on that year and we were being coached by a first year head coach in Miller's assistant, Gary Thompson. I believe John Wooden was already a long time coach at UCLA by that time.

Comment

Beat me to the punch, ST (although that wasn't hard, inasmuch as I just now saw the thread).

The reason Yahoo "missed" the Shocker result against Dollar Bill and Co. is undoubtedly just what you said -- it was a consolation game, a manufactured game if ever there was one that hasn't even existed for many years now, whereas the others were all semifinals that actually had an impact on the outcome of the tournament. Not the same thing by a long shot, even apart from the extraordinary circumstances that led to the Shocks being so shorthanded (and just short in general) way back when.

Edit: one other benefit I just noticed of OU's debacle is that they were so bad the Shocks have actually moved up to 7th in KenPom, just squeaking past the Sooners. Take that, selection committee!
                          Last edited by WSUwatcher; April 4, 2016, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I like seeing it happen to football schools that have no business hiring good basketball coaches.. Their board is trying not to talk about it because in reality, they don't care.
                            I can confirm that last part. Down here in OKC, there wasn't a PEEP about the Final Four leading up to it or during. Hardly anyone wearing OU stuff around or anything. Hell, I was even on the OU campus for a Fair the day of, and still only saw a handful of OU attire. No tears were shed in Sooner country.

Comment

Frankly, I was surprised OU got past A&M. All season they neglected defense and rebounding and relied on Buddy's heroics (of which there were plenty), the fast break, and the 3-point shot. It came back to bite them squarely on the ass. That game was ugly, Villanova was white-hot, and Oklahoma played the way they played for a majority of the second half of the season. Recipe for disaster...lo and behold it happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X