No announcement yet.

Jay Bilas' Plan to Reward Regular Season, Not Conf. Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a better, but completely unrealistic idea. Limit the number of bids from any conference to 2 bids. Give the automatic bids to the regular season conference champ and exempt them from the conference tournament. The winner of the conference tourney gets the second bid. The remaining two bids go are chosen from a lottery of the highest ranked teams from each conference that did not win the regular seaon or conference championship.

The field goes back down to 64, assuming 31 conferences with two bbids each.

Edited..

The best of the rest go to the NIT. You could even have an NIT vs. NCAA championship game if you wanted.
    Last edited by jocoshock; March 15, 2016, 10:55 AM.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I just can't believe that we were second to last team in... Mind boggling, how the f@ck can that be even possible... I know we're in but damn

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
        I just can't believe that we were second to last team in... Mind boggling, how the f@ck can that be even possible... I know we're in but damn
        One letter, one number, one word, one reason. P5 Bias
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I'm all for it. Conference tournaments are a money grab that screw good teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockers5150 View Post
            I'm all for it. Conference tournaments are a money grab that screw good teams.
            Except the jury is out on whether the mid majors actually make money.

Give me a Valpo with a chance to win a game or two

Comment

There are plenty of at-large teams. You don't have to do all that much very special to get an at-large as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                I do wonder if we were truly the second to last in, or just slotted in that spot due to resume. In other words if the cut line was 4 spots higher, would we still be in in the same spot, for all the reasons given before?

We'll never know, but I wouldnt be surprised

Comment

I like it.
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
                    I do wonder if we were truly the second to last in, or just slotted in that spot due to resume. In other words if the cut line was 4 spots higher, would we still be in in the same spot, for all the reasons given before?

We'll never know, but I wouldnt be surprised
                    Agreed. I think Dayton was a committee compromise from day 1. Had to put us in a slot that warranted first 4.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                      There are plenty of at-large teams. You don't have to do all that much very special to get an at-large as it is.
                      See Syracuse, Vanderbilt, and Tulsa.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                        I have a better, but completely unrealistic idea. Limit the number of bids from any conference to 2 bids. Give the automatic bids to the regular season conference champ and exempt them from the conference tournament. The winner of the conference tourney gets the second bid. The remaining two bids go are chosen from a lottery of the highest ranked teams from each conference that did not win the regular seaon or conference championship.

The field goes back down to 64, assuming 31 conferences with two bbids each.

Edited..

The best of the rest go to the NIT. You could even have an NIT vs. NCAA championship game if you wanted.
                        No no no no no. Did I say no? Well, no.

None of us want to see the Monmouth's unfairly treated at the hands of Syracuse, but if you think eliminating West Virginia, Iowa State, Miami, Cal, and Duke (among others) this year would have made for a better tournament, then I don't know what to say other than I think you are crazy. Limiting conferences to 2 bids would destroy a great thing. Let's not let imperfections cause us to lose sight of how cool the current product still is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                          No no no no no. Did I say no? Well, no.

None of us want to see the Monmouth's unfairly treated at the hands of Syracuse, but if you think eliminating West Virginia, Iowa State, Miami, Cal, and Duke (among others) this year would have made for a better tournament, then I don't know what to say other than I think you are crazy. Limiting conferences to 2 bids would destroy a great thing. Let's not let imperfections cause us to loose sight of how cool the current product still is.
                          Agreed. I would not mind seeing some sort of conference win% minimum (like >.500), but beyond that the only thing that is really needed is more competence on the selection committee.

Comment

One thing you can can't on is that whatever would be adopted would at worst have a neutral impact on the P5 teams and more than likely would skew the playing field even more in their favor.

You can already see that in the "moving targets" the Coach Cal ranted about the other day. The adopt something, the good non-5's adjust to their advantage. The powers that be don't like that. Move the target.

Comment

Well I kinda lean towards a cut off in all conferences of say 40%. No matter how huge you mega conference is.
                              You can only send the top 40% to the dance.
                              The top 4 of the 10 team conferences , top 5 of 12 teams , etc etc. those are the ELIGIBLE teams to dance.
                              And then if you want you can also give ONE but only ONE a bid if they pull the upset and win the conf. tourney.
                              Barring that there is NO way any team that is .500 in league should dance, and I would even make that cut off .600

I hate the football bowl eligible crap because the whole idea all you have to do is win what 6 games??? get real ,,that's
                              why there are too many bowl games. makes goin to the "ma and pa's gas station bowl" a big whooopee. If you can't have
                              a winning record, you shouldn't be rewarded. ,,damn everybody gets a ribbon syndrome.
                              From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
                                Barring that there is NO way any team that is .500 in league should dance, and I would even make that cut off .600
                                Did you really just suggest that the 2011 National Champions (UConn) should have been barred from the tourney because they weren't worthy to be in the field? Same for Iowa State, Michigan, Colorado, USC, Oregon St, Providence, and Butler this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X