Shocker Fans Remember The Road to Success Sometimes has Pot Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Fans Remember The Road to Success Sometimes has Pot Holes

It has been difficult not to join some of the threads that have been supportive, critical, opinionated, and helpfully suggestive. The frustration that comes when reality does not match the hype leads to the blame game that someone must be at fault. It would be hypocritical of me to say that I have struggled to understand why our offense has struggled in some periods this year. However, I believe in this team and their ability to perform if they get to the NCAA tournament (anything is possible even if the shocker fans are the only ones that believe it).

Allow me one football analogy. A few Super Bowls ago the mighty Patriots were sit to finish off the most historical season ever. All of the experts for weeks on end stated that they might be the greatest team ever, this might be a dynasty like never before, and the debate about Bill Belichick being the best professional football coach ever. Well after taking the lead in the last two minutes, we know that the Giants scored in the last minute to win the game. The 99% of the pundits that had stated how the Patriots were unbeatable, immediately stated why the Giants were the superior team. It seemed as if the Patriots season was a dream that never took place.

The shockers were picked in the top 10 to begin the year (deserving). Fred gets hurt and we do not have his play at the beginning and we falter. He will be remembered as the best point guard in school history to date when he is finished. When he is playing his best he drives the ball to score or get baskets for others (yes he hits jumpers also). Once he returns he has to be successful and really on his shot more than he ever did before. Baker is also one of the all time greats. I believe he could average 20 points a game if he were more selfish and played without reservation. Shaquille Morris has unique skills. He is working harder, playing better initial post defense, and blocking more shots. Great touch for his size with good feet and post moves. McDuffie is a necessary third scorer. He can shoot the three ball, drive and score, and score on 2nd chance opportunities. Zack Brown is a good strong athlete similar to McDuffie with less driving ability in my opinion. Grady is playing his best basketball as a shocker. Rashard Kelly has more confidence and has shown the toughness and offensive improvement as the year has progressed. We have many weapons, the young players just need to play consistent.
    The facts indicate that we are the best team in the Valley once again during the regular season. Fred (iron man ) won the conference MVP for the 2nd consecutive season. Baker also made first team. McDuffie was freshman of the year, and Grady was recognized as a significant newcomer. Oh and by the way VanVleet and Baker were noted for their superior defensive skills.
    Shock Ref pointed out some things that I believe to be true about Coach Marshall in St. Louis. He is confident and loses perspective at times. I also have a bad feeling about our treatment in the Arch Madness tournament. Marshall came to WSU with a purpose and no excuse attitude that he and his staff could get it done. He has produced on that belief and should be commended. Great coach and basketball mind. He can be stubborn as pointed out in the N. Iowa game as he allowed them to run the high pick and roll without changing any help coverage. I feel he thought the best chance of winning was to play that style and not take a chance on them starting to make a lot of 3’s like they have on some teams in the past. For the most part he was right, we win the game if we play better on the offensive end of the court. Giving your team the best chance to win is something he does regularly.
    Post season results will be determined mainly by our offensive efficiency. As long as this team continues to put forth their best effort, they will receive my admiration for their exploits.
    Last edited by ShockBand; March 10, 2016, 04:14 PM.

Originally posted by homegrownshocker View Post
    It has been difficult not to join some of the threads that have been supportive, critical, opinionated, and helpfully suggestive. The frustration that comes when reality does not match the hype leads to the blame game that someone must be at fault. It would be hypocritical of me to say that I have struggled to understand why our offense has struggled in some periods this year. However, I believe in this team and their ability to perform if they get to the NCAA tournament (anything is possible even if the shocker fans are the only ones that believe it).

Allow me one football analogy. A few Super Bowls ago the mighty Patriots were sit to finish off the most historical season ever. All of the experts for weeks on end stated that they might be the greatest team ever, this might be a dynasty like never before, and the debate about Bill Belichick being the best professional football coach ever. Well after taking the lead in the last two minutes, we know that the Giants scored in the last minute to win the game. The 99% of the pundits that had stated how the Patriots were unbeatable, immediately stated why the Giants were the superior team. It seemed as if the Patriots season was a dream that never took place.

The shockers were picked in the top 10 to begin the year (deserving). Fred gets hurt and we do not have his play at the beginning and we falter. He will be remembered as the best point guard in school history to date when he is finished. When he is playing his best he drives the ball to score or get baskets for others (yes he hits jumpers also). Once he returns he has to be successful and really on his shot more than he ever did before. Baker is also one of the all time greats. I believe he could average 20 points a game if he were more selfish and played without reservation. Shaquille Morris has unique skills. He is working harder, playing better initial post defense, and blocking more shots. Great touch for his size with good feet and post moves. McDuffie is a necessary third scorer. He can shoot the three ball, drive and score, and score on 2nd chance opportunities. Zack Brown is a good strong athlete similar to McDuffie with less driving ability in my opinion. Grady is playing his best basketball as a shocker. Rashard Kelly has more confidence and has shown the toughness and offensive improvement as the year has progressed. We have many weapons, the young players just need to play consistent.

The facts indicate that we are the best team in the Valley once again during the regular season. Fred (iron man ) won the conference MVP for the 2nd consecutive season. Baker also made first team. McDuffie was freshman of the year, and Grady was recognized as a significant newcomer. Oh and by the way VanVleet and Baker were noted for their superior defensive skills.

Shock Ref pointed out some things that I believe to be true about Coach Marshall in St. Louis. He is confident and loses perspective at times. I also have a bad feeling about our treatment in the Arch Madness tournament. Marshall came to WSU with a purpose and no excuse attitude that he and his staff could get it done. He has produced on that belief and should be commended. Great coach and basketball mind. He can be stubborn as pointed out in the N. Iowa game as he allowed them to run the high pick and roll without changing any help coverage. I feel he thought the best chance of winning was to play that style and not take a chance on them starting to make a lot of 3’s like they have on some teams in the past. For the most part he was right, we win the game if we play better on the offensive end of the court. Giving your team the best chance to win is something he does regularly.

Post season results will be determined mainly by our offensive efficiency. As long as this team continues to put forth their best effort, they will receive my admiration for their exploits.
    FYP. The dark font colors are impossible to see for most of us not using the mobile version of SN.

Comment

Working...
    X