Why don't we run and press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't we run and press?

I can understand why we don't press and run against the likes of Kentucky but why don't we press and run in the Valley?

We seem to play looser when we play up-tempo and we don't have to worry about making bad decisions with the clock running out. We go 11 deep at least which is four or five more than any other Valley team.

We ought to be gassing these other Valley teams. They don't have the depth or the athletes.

No clue

Comment

I also don't know why we show no urgency at the end of a game when we are down. The clock management has been Andy Reid levels of bad.

Comment

You can't run if the other team plays patient offense. UNI works to get a matchup they like and then attacks the rim. Again and again.

Our half court offense is god awful and has been for a while.

Comment

The other teams send no one to the offensive boards, that keeps us from breaking. When one guy (washpun) holds the ball in his hands until the shot clock runs down it's difficult to force a turnover and fast break.

They force us to execute in the half court and jumpers. When we don't shoot well it leaves us susceptible to the upset.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
            The other teams send no one to the offensive boards, that keeps us from breaking. When one guy (washpun) holds the ball in his hands until the shot clock runs down it's difficult to force a turnover and fast break.

They force us to execute in the half court and jumpers. When we don't shoot well it leaves us susceptible to the upset.
            It hasn't been an "if." We don't execute against a solid half court defense. Teams that are willing to let us beat us seem to have a good chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
              It hasn't been an "if." We don't execute against a solid half court defense. Teams that are willing to let us beat us seem to have a good chance of winning.
              Yeah, I mean it seems like we're getting good looks just not hitting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                I can understand why we don't press and run against the likes of Kentucky but why don't we press and run in the Valley?

We seem to play looser when we play up-tempo and we don't have to worry about making bad decisions with the clock running out. We go 11 deep at least which is four or five more than any other Valley team.

We ought to be gassing these other Valley teams. They don't have the depth or the athletes.
                Several in my group have asked this for the past couple seasons.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

The reason is exactly the same as why the flagship has trouble defeating MVC teams. There are no high-flying dunks defenses get back and defend. Big 12 defenses except for WVU and sometimes the kittens rely on blocking shots individually jas opposed to good solid team defense.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Have to make shots to be able to press. Missing a ton of threes isn't going to result in setting up a press or having good transition defense

Comment

Constantly pressing eventually becomes uneconomical. So I think they have switched to Nike Drifit which is wash and wear.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If you'll watch the Valley teams, for the most part there are very few offensive rebounds. When a shot goes up the team heads back to set up the defense. Very hard to run up tempo in the Valley. That said, I see opportunities to push the ball but time after time I see us roll out of the break and let the opponant catch up. When we do push it, it's usually to stop and take the jumper. With the athletes we have I'd like to see us take a few more chances.
                        "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

There's not a lot of depth at guard to justify a full game press. Maybe if shamet wasn't injured it would have helped. Plus the big guys in foul trouble some games doesn't help either. The game is more geared toward offense than it was 3 or 4 years ago. Besides it better to pick and choose your spots. The Shox use it to speed teams up that have been playing slower to force mistakes. If you pressed all game the other team would adapt.

Comment

Working...
                          X