Senior Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Memories

ITT - We post memories from our 5 seniors.

Tom "Bush" Wamukota -- I'll never forget his shut down game against Tuttle last year. He also had great minutes against KU.
    Anton Grady -- Of course I was just happy to hear that he recovered after going down in Orlando. He has been big in picking the Shox up after the two Valley losses this year.
    Evan Wessel -- I've loved this guy since day one. In the perfect year it was just cracking me up that for whatever reason, he couldn't buy a basket. It made no sense! But he just kept playing. I've talked about the family tree of toughness and in a great history of tough SOBs under Marshall, Evan is in the top spot. I'll never ever EVER forget how he just made his old high-school teammate his *****.
    Ron Baker -- Again going back to the perfect year, we are well on our way to winning in St L for the first time ever and getting to 34-0. Indiana State pulls Jake Odum and Ron is calling for the crowd to give him applause. This is how Ron has been since day 1. It cracks me up that some forums say he is a dirty player. Hell, he even gives love to student sections that have spent 4 years making fun of him. Damn I'm going to miss that shot.
    Fred VanVleet -- Do you remember when people couldn't pronounce his name? I remember the first time I heard of him was on here when other schools were going heavy on him. Someone said he was looking at other schools after signing. I was sad not because I knew anything about Fred but because it is just so typical in College basketball these days. So when he stayed and it was later revealed that he wasn't going to break his commitment it really made me feel good. Of course that shot against THE Ohio State also made me feel good. But my memory of Fred ... well look at my avatar. I doubt that ever gets changed. I can see that moment in my head like the moment it happened.

So now you do it. Let's get ready to cheer these guys on to a 51-3 Valley record over the last 3 years.

Mr Wamukota - his job on Tuttle last year and his performance against KU were his biggest moments and impacted outcome of each game. Thanks Bush!

Mr Grady - super scary injury, followed by a big dose of MTXE that only Shockers know and the come back both physically and mentally in order to achieve his ultimate goal. In a world of 1-and-done, I love our done-and-1. Thanks Anton!

Mr Wessel - WSU floor burn record holder, KU game performance, but most of all for diving into every scrum and when the smoke clears Ev has the ball. Cant even count how many times I have said "wow" (or something similar) when he gets the ball when it seemed a sure grab for the other team. Thanks Evan!

Mr Baker - Gonzaga. Initiating Jake Odum ovation in St Louis. Shaking opposing coaches hands before each game. Model of sportsmanship. Picking little girl from crowd to cut down net. So many special moments I will never forget. Thanks Ron!

Mr Van Vleet - WSU assists leader. Ohio State 2013 dagger. Ball handling, speed changes, WSU record holder for broken ankles. Never have seen any player as smooth and "coack
    h-like" when being interviewed. Community service. Personal drive and determination. Fred will do whatever he sets his mind to do in life, there are NO DOUBTS. Thanks Fred!

After over 30 years of shocker basketball, this is my all time favorite graduating class and perhaps most impactful (team, city, university, etc). Thanks Shockers!!

Last but not least - THANKS GREGG MARSHALL!!!!!

Comment

I thought Fred's dagger shot was against Gonzaga. He fumbled the ball then picked it up and launched the rainbow. Am I mistaken?

Comment

I really like this thread.

I can't wait to see the revisions that will need to be made after the NCAA tournament this year

Comment

Thank you, Anton, for picking WSU to pursue your NCAA dream, for battling back after all your surgeries, and especially for returning after the spinal concussion. What courage! The NCAA dream is almost realized and I think you have the best basketball of your career ahead of you.
          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Are there really any words that can be good enough for the debt of gratitude we as Shocker Nation owe Mr Baker and Mr Van Vleet!? The ride those 2 have taken us on the past 4 years is absolutely amazing and will be nearly impossible to ever duplicate.

Comment

Evan - Dr. Dasilva couldnt quite grasp the fact that he was on the basketball team and we were in a Final Four run.
              Ron - Waited for me after class one day to tell me he laughed at the Carmichael bit in the Final 4 video that I helped edit.

Both super nice guys who just went hard as hell at everything they did.

Comment

I remember seeing Ron come back from his injury in the Final 4 year at St. Louis and figuring that he wouldn't be much help. How wrong I was when just a couple weeks later he was draining 3's from all over the place as we made our run to the ATL.

Fred's dagger against Gonzaga will always be the classic NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! when he shot it, YESSSSS!!!!! when it went in shot for me. That point for me was when Fred became FRED!!!

Standing in line for tickets at Intrust Bank Arena with Evan's grandma was great. What a family.

Bush stopping Tuttle was huge last year, wish he would have that same ability this year.

Being in the gym when Grady went down was tough, but seeing him become a big part of this team now is really rewarding.

Missing Saturday is going to suck but watching this group make a run in the tournament will be fun! Go Shox!

Comment

Meeting Fred for the 1st time almost 5 years ago. Knew right then he was going to be special. Holding the pose for the coaches after his Gonzaga dagger. Then watching him bust ass back on D when Coach Jans SCREAMED at him to get back lol.

Listening to Toure tell me "you guys are going to LOVE Baker". Hearing Ron was coming back for his senior year.

Watching big Bush battle UNI and kansas. We probably don't win either of those games without him. 'Cold's mancrush on BB last summer.

Getting to see Anton play the game he loves after not knowing if he'd walk again.

Evan. For a guy I hardly know, this is going to be tough. The kid has given everything to this program for 5 years and what does he have to show for it? Some ungrateful fans that continue to question if he should even be playing. He sacrifices his body for his team, time and time and time again, only to be criticized for missing shots. His entire family bleeds WSU. He's given his heart and soul to this program. He's the winningest player in the history of, I don't know...history? He's incredible. He's not going to have his number retired but I'm not sure he doesn't deserve exactly that. A hometown hero that's won, almost every time he's been out there, for 9 years. I'd dance in the streets if you told me he was allowed to start over and we'd get 5 more years of Evan Wessel.

Oh yeah, he basically gave ku a big ole shitburger about a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Evan. For a guy I hardly know, this is going to be tough. The kid has given everything to this program for 5 years and what does he have to show for it? Some ungrateful fans that continue to question if he should even be playing. He sacrifices his body for his team, time and time and time again, only to be criticized for missing shots. His entire family bleeds WSU. He's given his heart and soul to this program. He's the winningest player in the history of, I don't know...history? He's incredible. He's not going to have his number retired but I'm not sure he doesn't deserve exactly that. A hometown hero that's won, almost every time he's been out there, for 9 years. I'd dance in the streets if you told me he was allowed to start over and we'd get 5 more years of Evan Wessel.

Oh yeah, he basically gave ku a big ole shitburger about a year ago.
                    Great overall post, however this part deserves...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

These players don't get no better... Every year has pushed the following year... Play angry and not satisfied

Comment

This was kind of fun...

P.S. Particularly after I predicted in a new thread before the season even started that the Shockers would be hosting ESPN College Gameday here in Wichita this year and was mocked, ridiculed, lambasted for even suggesting such an event.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker and Evan Wessel have guided Wichita State to three straight NCAA Tournaments and a Final Four, putting the school back on the college basketball map

Comment

The key quote IMHO from Coach Marshall:

"We owe them a debt of gratitude," he said, "not just because of what they've done but how they've done it. They've done it in a tremendous, first-class way. They've been nothing but a joy to coach."
                            Great to see these guys getting national exposure.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 25, 2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

"We're not getting any of the time back that has already passed," Ron added. "I'll just enjoy these last couple of days."

That son of a b****. I'm tearing up now.

Comment

Working...
                              X