RN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RN

1. Let us all remember RN gave up his preferred red shirt season for the TEAM
    2. I'm sure GM told the big guy he was needed and he responded for the team's benefit
    3. RN was/has been given a role, an unselfish role, and has performed well in THAT role
    4. How many times has he subbed quite well for our centers on the bench with foul trouble?
    5. Has he been a valuable team asset? Someone make the case he hasn't.
    6. Does he hustle and work his tail off? Someone make the case he hasn't.
    7. I believe GM recruited him as a stretch four and I still believe he can shoot it. As it turned
    out GM has needed him more as a five back up and he has accepted the role
    8. I believe he still practices the three because GM sees the need for a big man who can shoot
    it from the perimeter. He has had few opportunities but if he hits a couple look out. It could
    provide a new dynamic to our offense by creating more paint space for Fred and others.

I really like RN but why didn't he dunk that putback (which he sorely missed) during the NM State game? He needs to work on being more aggressive near the rim.

Comment

I like the idea of him a lot. They jury is still out. If he sticks around, he will be a fine senior role player unless he goes through some kind of genetic engineering both mentally and physically over the off season. If they could put him into that chamber they put Captain America into, that'd be great. I don't doubt that Rosenboom has it somewhere under Cessna stadium. He could be a key piece to this team as his experience progresses. I often need to be reminded that when I express any frustration with certain players, they are generally very young underclassmen who have years left. We were senior laden for many of our best seasons. Our latest seasons were carried by some fantastic players that are once in a generation. We are rapidly approaching being laden with experienced upper classmen again, and RN will be a part of that if he doesn't transfer. On that note, Jake White was a better player as a sophomore and he did not stay. On the other hand, he wasn't 6'10" either. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
        8. I believe he still practices the three because GM sees the need for a big man who can shoot
        it from the perimeter. He has had few opportunities but if he hits a couple look out. It could
        provide a new dynamic to our offense by creating more paint space for Fred and others.
        I don't think so. We got a whole bench full of 3 pt jackers; we have very few "bring it to the hole with intent" bigs. If 3s is what HCGM wants from him, it's because he can't bring it.

Comment

Anyone else remember that 15 point, 2 assist, 1 block, 1 steal performance in just the 6th game of his career?

Me neither.

Comment

St. Louis at IBA IIRC. Loved his hustle then, still do. Does he make mistakes, sure, not arguing that. Is there room for improvement, absolutely. But I like this kid. He works hard every time I have seen him. He is a team player. He knew he needed another year, that is why he took a voluntary redshirt. Then when the team needed him to burn that shirt, he did. In Orlando he was ready to go in immediately after AG was injured. For the team. Sometimes he just makes me shake my head, like that whiff last night, but I do not doubt this kids heart for basketball and for this team. HCGM saw some talent in him. I am not an evaluator of basketball talent, but I can recognize heart and grit. RN has those.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
              Anyone else remember that 15 point, 2 assist, 1 block, 1 steal performance in just the 6th game of his career?

Me neither.
              His role on this team is not a scoring one. Neither is EW's. His role has been to be set picks for the
              scorers, play defense, block out and rebound. He has done those things pretty well. If his role were
              to score and people were setting picks for him he might be a scorer but he has never been given that role.
              To his credit he does what he is told to the best of his ability and he HAS helped this team when it needs
              him.

Comment

Next year we need him to be able to come in for Shaq, rebound, defend and get a couple of put-backs. There's always room for a 15 mpg backup center, even if he's a senior. It will be interesting to see how things shake out between he and Hamilton.

Comment

IMHO, I see a kid that:
                  can run the floor but the game is still just a little too fast for him
                  gets pushed around sometimes
                  tries just a little too hard sometimes
                  is not afraid to mix it up but does not know how to play angry yet
                  is not afraid to shoot when open
                  has a helluva ceiling and a good attitude
                  can and will overcome bad items above as he matures physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I hope we get the chance to see that happen.
                  For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                  - said no one ever...

Comment

Rauno has some post moves. Really. I've seen them in practice. He can use both hands almost equally as well. But......
                    he has a ridiculously hard time setting in on the block. That's why he was red shirting. He needs leg and torso strength to the point he won't even try to set in now. Good screener and adequate defender against half the teams in the league. But most importantly a great hard working kid.

Comment

I really want to believe Rauno will succeed. I really want to.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                        I really want to believe Rauno will succeed. I really want to.
                        He will succeed. Even if it's not as a great basketball player. With his attitude and work ethic, along with tutelage of a guy like 3.3G, he will be successful in whatever he decides to do with his life.
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Anyone who remembers Zarko knows that was a marginal player until his senior year. Then, he became a VERY good big man. Rauno just needs to keep grinding...
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Anytime a conversation like this comes up I like to remember Stutz and Jeff Whithey.

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                              Anyone who remembers Zarko knows that was a marginal player until his senior year. Then, he became a VERY good big man. Rauno just needs to keep grinding...
                              Zark is with the Timberwolves. Anyone who hung out at the English Pub at 18th and Gentry knew Zark quite well.
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                              X