Thoughts and Musings on the season so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts and Musings on the season so far

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but not new to WSU hoops.

1. This is definitely a different team on both ends of the floor with Fred, and they are starting to hit their stride. I was thinking that this was going to be a close game, but the defense today was what we all expect out of Greg Marshall's teams. Sure, Balentine missed a couple open looks, but our defense was what kept him from getting him in a rhythm. Right now, Wichita State is top ten in points allowed per game at 61, and held Evansville to 21 first half points today. That type of defensive effort will get the job done in the tournament.

2. The lack of good decision making the first few possessions against the press is concerning. While Evansville is a well coached team and we were on the road, against a team like Maryland or Xavier, that is not going to get it done. Fortunately, Marshall made some adjustments and it was no problem later. I am sure coach will work on this.

3. Right now, the Shockers have one guy shooting over 40% from three, with three other guys shooting around 35%. As everyone has seen, this is a good shooting team, not a great one. This means our normal trifecta percentage can get the job done against most teams in the dance, but there needs to be a 8-18 or 10-20 performance against a top tier opponent in the sweet sixteen or elite eight. The right guys need to be shooting, and Fred has to make sure to drive and look to kick it out, as he draws a crowd when he goes into the lane. Connor getting hot at the right time would also be an ideal situation.

4. As far as seeding goes, it would help to not be matched in the top half of a bracket with one seeds like OU or Iowa. A two or three seed would be ideal, though this is probably not possible with the early season losses. I would feel decently comfortable matched up against Villanova or UNC in the sweet sixteen. A three seed would be nice, but we can't count on the committee taking Fred's injury into account like how we would. I guess we will have to wait and see.

5. Overall, this team has all the elements to make a run at Houston this year. There is no Wisconsin, Duke or Kentucky like last year, or even Notre Dame, who was just as good as UK and should have beat them. The only teams that would be a bad matchup are explosive teams like OU, Iowa, and even Michigan State, as this team can labor to score at times. Maryland is good but not as explosive as OU. Just stay in front of Melo Trimble, play team D, and win the rebound battle and we have a good chance to win. UNC is good, but their defense is way behind their offense, so the keys would be to keep them out of transition, pack it in inside against Meeks and the other post players, and rebound like crazy. It would be tough, but again a winnable game. Last year, we ran into a buzzsaw offensive juggernaut with Notre Dame, but there is no such team this year that is that level. Anyone can beat anyone in the tournament, so we have as good of a chance as anyone else.

Our defense is MUCH better than it was last year. I know we made the Sweet 16 last year, but everyone knew our defense was suspect last year. We couldn't defend on the inside. I don't feel like we have that same liability this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
      Our defense is MUCH better than it was last year. I know we made the Sweet 16 last year, but everyone knew our defense was suspect last year. We couldn't defend on the inside. I don't feel like we have that same liability this year.
      I do not recall our defense being suspect last year.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Its ok, I'll forgive your poor memory. We had a very difficult time defending the interior last year.

Edit: Outside of me being a jerk, I need to adjust what I said. Our defense last year was good, but I certainly remember that we were more challenged at defending the paint last year.
        Last edited by Heinro; January 31, 2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Gregg
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
            Its ok, I'll forgive your poor memory. We had a very difficult time defending the interior last year.
            :)
            Livin the dream

Comment

Comment

Yes, last year's team was not an elite defensive team. This year's team has a chance to be. I view Florida's final four team and UConn's championship team in '14 as teams that this team could be similar to - I believe Florida was third in the country in fewest points allowed per game at 57. WSU right now is in the top ten. I think they can get into the top five by the end of the regular season.

The one thing I worry about is scoring. The final four team had a true back to the basket scorer in Carl Hall. Is there anyone like that this year? Can Shaq get it done? I am not sure. Like I mentioned in my original post, this team will need a game in the tourney where they make 10 - 12 threes. Good shooting was one of the key elements to the final four run, I believe they made 14 threes against Gonzaga.

Comment

Random thought... How delusional are ISUblue fans? They are having a serious conversion about whether Baker deserves 1st team and someone actually thinks they could get 2 to 3 first team All valley selections. Now I guess with the MVCs "share the wealth" mindset it wouldn't surprise me, but shouldn't be expected. Not sure that they even get 1

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    Random thought... How delusional are ISUblue fans? They are having a serious conversion about whether Baker deserves 1st team and someone actually thinks they could get 2 to 3 first team All valley selections. Now I guess with the MVCs "share the wealth" mindset it wouldn't surprise me, but shouldn't be expected. Not sure that they even get 1
                    http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthr...ru-MVC-Article
                    A couple of th more vocal fans over there are delusional and they come out in full force when they have a nice season. Most of their fans are knowledgable basketball folk, but they tend to get lost in all the noise from the moderator and a couple other posters.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Random thought... How delusional are ISUblue fans? They are having a serious conversion about whether Baker deserves 1st team...
                      Maybe they're Jerry West award voters. As always, Ron doesn't care, and he'll be not caring all the way through March.

Comment

KenPom's player of the year rankings for the MVC, as of today.

1 - Fred
                        2 - Ron
                        3 - Mock (EU)
                        4 - Balentine (EU)
                        5 - Washpun (UNI)

Comment

http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthr...ru-MVC-Article
                          The dude trying to make the case for 3 ISUb 1st teamers is Devone Browns father, so.....

Comment

Just imagine if FVV was treated the same as Devonte Brown by officials. The dude is getting .69 FTA/FGA. It's beyond ridiculous. His skill is throwing himself at opponents, and the refs buy it.

For comparison, FVV is at .43 FTA/FGA.

Brown does dominate another statistic though. His 3.8 turnovers per game is impressive. He has 5 turnovers in 5 straight games, 5 or more in 11 games this season. That's impressive. So, shooting a ton of FTs and turning it over at a ridiculous rate. Apparently he watched video of Melo Trimble all summer instead of FVV.
                            Last edited by Cdizzle; February 2, 2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bighouse View Post
                              The dude trying to make the case for 3 ISUb 1st teamers is Devone Browns father, so.....
                              Well ****, why doesn't he just give all 5 to the Sycamores then?
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X