Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current random Shocker thoughts(yeah, I'll risk the wrath!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current random Shocker thoughts(yeah, I'll risk the wrath!)

I don't see another thread that my thought would fit in, so there may be other thoughts that fall into this category, so here is mine...

So I'm watching the game the other night, and it just washes over me that THIS TEAM HAS INCREDIBLE DEPTH! I found myself thinking..."oh, yeah, Nurger" or "oh, yeah, Rashard"...and it was a short list of "oh, yeahs"!!!!

Anyway, while I don't look forward to the Ron/Fred show leaving, I don't fear it ending...things will be fine.

Depth...depth....QUALITY depth.

I agree. Those guys will be missed, but this team is still going to be uber talented.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

WSU isn't going away next season. With whos' coming back and who's coming in... look out. I mean there is the potential to be as good as this year's team. Who runs the point and how well they do will be the biggest key...

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
        I don't see another thread that my thought would fit in, so there may be other thoughts that fall into this category, so here is mine...

So I'm watching the game the other night, and it just washes over me that THIS TEAM HAS INCREDIBLE DEPTH! I found myself thinking..."oh, yeah, Nurger" or "oh, yeah, Rashard"...and it was a short list of "oh, yeahs"!!!!

Anyway, while I don't look forward to the Ron/Fred show leaving, I don't fear it ending...things will be fine.

Depth...depth....QUALITY depth.
        IMO your are spot on with your analysis. I have to be careful here as I got into a difficult exchange of posts last year, but IMO the Plan Marshall has implemented provides for a future of no rebuilding years, just reloading! The Shocker bench is stronger than ever, as are his recruiting classes.

Early departures of players for the NBA could become a concern as the quality of Shocker athletes continues to improve. IMO the Shockers already have a couple of players on roster who might leave early. I hope not as I think HC3G's coaching style works best with players staying for the long term (4 years).

Comment

Number of players playing X minutes per game:

Team 30+ 20-29 10-19 4-9
          Wichita St 1 2 5 5
          Evansville 2 2 2 2
          SIU 1 4 3 2
          UNI 4 0 4 1
          Indiana St 2 3 4 1
          Illinois St 0 5 4 1
          Duke (just for fun) 3 3 1 1
          Syracuse (just for fun) 5 0 1 2

The fact that WSU has 5 guys averaging 4-10 minutes per game indicates CRAZY DEPTH!

Only 3 guys playing 20+ minutes sounds appealing come the weekend in St. Louis.
          Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; January 29, 2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post

Team 30+ 20+ 10+ 4+
            Wichita St 1 3 8 13
            Evansville 2 4 6 8
            SIU 1 5 8 10
            UNI 4 4 8 9
            Indiana St 2 5 9 10
            Illinois St 0 5 9 10
            Duke (just for fun) 3 6 7 8

The fact that WSU has 5 guys averaging 4-10 minutes per game indicates CRAZY DEPTH!
            Is Fred not counted as 30+ since he missed several games? That's the only reason I can think of it showing only 1 player for us in the 30+ column.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
              Is Fred not counted as 30+ since he missed several games? That's the only reason I can think of it showing only 1 player for us in the 30+ column.
              Fred really hasn't averaged 30 minutes a game. He comes out quite a bit while Baker and Frankamp run the guard positions.

Min per game for him: 25, 23, 32, 28, 30, 24, 34, 22, 28, 28, 34 ,31, 33 ,18, 30, 3

Average of 26 on the year (slightly thrown off by the 3 vs Charleston, its 28 without that game factored in)

Comment

Fred's last 10 games:
                25, 23, 32, 28, 30, 24, 34, 22, 28, 28

Fred doesn't average 30+ minutes until March.

Comment

We will be ok without Fred and Ron. No one will come close to replacing Fred especially. However, as I have had to remind friends....we were winning before Fred and Ron and we can win after. As long as Marshall is our coach the drop off won't be huge. Our makeup will just be different and players will have to adjust. Fred makes everyone's job easier. Won't be as easy after Fred and Ron, but this program can continue to be a top program.

With that said. I am personally going yo treasure each remaining game these guys give us. I may never see a duo of All Americans so good in a WSU uniform again. I am taking NOTHING for granted
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    Fred really hasn't averaged 30 minutes a game. He comes out quite a bit while Baker and Frankamp run the guard positions.
                    Wow, I guess I just expected him to be averaging at least 30. That's great though!

I think this team is finally at or around where we expected them to be before the season started. Depth, talent everywhere, crushing teams by 20+... Fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                      We will be ok without Fred and Ron. No one will come close to replacing Fred especially. However, as I have had to remind friends....we were winning before Fred and Ron and we can win after. As long as Marshall is our coach the drop off won't be huge. Our makeup will just be different and players will have to adjust. Fred makes everyone's job easier. Won't be as easy after Fred and Ron, but this program can continue to be a top program.

With that said. I am personally going yo treasure each remaining game these guys give us. I may never see a duo of All Americans so good in a WSU uniform again. I am taking NOTHING for granted
                      You know, as stupid as it will sound, I've no doubt tears will be shed at the boys last game....Evan as well!

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                        You know, as stupid as it will sound, I've no doubt tears will be shed at the boys last game....Evan as well!
                        Absolutely after their last game and likely every day thereafter til the new season starts in November and we go forward and upward from then.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                          Absolutely after their last game and likely every day thereafter til the new season starts in November and we go forward and upward from then.
                          Nah...there will be no tears allowed on parade day when they bring that Natty to the mean streets of the ICT.
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post

Team 30+ 20-29 10-19 4-9
                            Wichita St 1 2 5 5
                            Evansville 2 2 2 2
                            SIU 1 4 3 2
                            UNI 4 0 4 1
                            Indiana St 2 3 4 1
                            Illinois St 0 5 4 1
                            Duke (just for fun) 3 3 1 1
                            Syracuse (just for fun) 5 0 1 2

Only 3 guys playing 20+ minutes sounds appealing come the weekend in St. Louis.
                            What great statistical food for digestion! I can make SOOO many judgments about this data, but, obviously WOW! DEPTH! We have 13 players with meaningful PT while Evansville and Duke only have 8!

Comment

I agree this team is super deep and the talent will keep us great in the coming years. I do wonder, though, without Fred and Ron who can create their own shot or drive to the hoop, who can do that next year? McDuff can finish and shoot, but can he create his own shot? Shaq can finish when Fred draws defenders and dumps the ball to him with no weak side help, but can he be the focal point of the offense?

There will be some serious growing pains as this group figures out how to play without Fred making them all better. Then, some of them will step up and it'll be a great couple of years. But I expect the first half of next year to be rough.

Comment

Working...
                              X