Referee Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referee Training

Thank you for coming out today. This will be quick. There have been some questions this year regarding blocks/charges/no calls, and we just want to clear up some of the confusion.

Here’s an example of a no call. As you’ll notice, the Evansville defender gets all ball, so no foul should be called. Also, the Evansville defender didn’t touch the ball, so it is also appropriately called out on the Wichita State player. Tough to get both of those right, but we did last night.

Now, here’s a good example of a foul on the defender. Notice how the defender loses his verticality and his arm hits the Evansville player? This is an excellent example of a proper foul call.

Just wanted to pass along these tips so we can get the rest of the season right. I know Wichita State is playing in Carbondale this weekend, and we’ve always made the right call in SIU v Wichita State games in Carbondale, so I’m not worried. Remember, this game isn’t about the fans, and it’s most certainly not about the players. It’s about getting a little bit of sweet TV time for yourself.

Signed,

The John Higgins Fan Club

P.S.

In case you are missing a yard stick, here’s a good template for what three feet looks like.

these are awesome!! Thanks and nice work. Higgins......(sigh)

Comment

All ball without touching it.

Nice trick Uri
      One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Can you produce the games for whoever is doing the telecast? Your coverage seems so much better than anything else I have seen.

Comment

Could you also explain on why after taking five minutes looking at the monitor to decide if EU had touch the ball last before going out of bounds. You then had to meet at center court for another minute or two to decide how mad will GM be when you change the call? To bad you didn't leave your mic on.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
            Could you also explain on why after taking five minutes looking at the monitor to decide if EU had touch the ball last before going out of bounds. You then had to meet at center court for another minute or two to decide how mad will GM be when you change the call? To bad you didn't leave your mic on.
            What we were told from our illustrious, chief-referee John Higgins was that he was ensuring his hair looked proper for the solid minute of TV time he was about to receive.

Signed,

The John Higgins Fan Club

Comment

What a fantastic post.

If we are going to allow officials to review possession on OOB plays during the last 2 minutes, that's great. I like that rule.

But we'd better enable them to change other calls they see on that replay as well. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

Comment

Courtesy of a friend of mine:

Meet the Weatherguard, Inc. team. Our in-house team of experts has over 40 years of experience.

Enjoy!

Comment

Do you think while looking at the review they thought "oh man he really hammered Van Vleet and we didn't call a foul, and now that we're reviewing it we have to give the ball to EU, we blew this one!" I'm guessing not since they turned around and called a foul on much less contact on Brown the next play...

Love the write-up, very well done! :)

Comment

Weatherguard Co owned by John Higgins

Classic irony. It took the company that fixed 2 of our windows 2 mos to get some replacement seals from Weatherguard for the windows they fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by jazztrane View Post
                      Do you think while looking at the review they thought "oh man he really hammered Van Vleet and we didn't call a foul, and now that we're reviewing it we have to give the ball to EU, we blew this one!" I'm guessing not since they turned around and called a foul on much less contact on Brown the next play...
                      I think that foul was called against Wessel which was phantom call too. Didn't he foul on that play?

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                        Classic irony. It took the company that fixed 2 of our windows 2 mos to get some replacement seals from Weatherguard for the windows they fixed.
                        They had to make sure to properly review it.

Comment

oh to be so tech savvy!! I'm jealous! Seriously this is great. Find a way to copy and get in front of head of referees!
                          It just gets old having to battle 5 on 8

Comment

But, but, but . . .

MVC Officials Among the Nation's Best.

Interesting timing.

Comment

One other officiating question from that game-when Evan fouled out he immediately started walking to the bench knowing it was his fifth. He no sooner that got to the bench and they began to huddle that the official began shouting at Coach that he needed a sub, so someone went right in and they broke the huddle. Is that a new focus for this year? I've always seen them essentially get an extra TO and take a minute or two to put a sub in. In this case the ref darn near followed EW to the bench to break it up. I haven't watched that in any other games so I wondered is that something they're trying to stop to speed things up, or were they just in a hurry to get to that "sweet TV time" for themselves? :)

Comment

Working...
                              X