Big 12 Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 12 Tournament

I'll be there for todays games sitting in the 8th row.......in my shocker yellow.

Re: Big 12 Tournament

Originally posted by Yellow Snow
    I'll be there for todays games sitting in the 8th row.......in my shocker yellow.
    I have not seen the Sprint Center as yet.

Please give us a report on what it is like.

Thanks.

RRio

Comment

What is the capacity of the Sprint Center?

Comment

I watched the trans-siberian orchestra there in December. It was dark the whole time so I really couldn't get a feel for the arena.

The consourse area didn't seem a whole lot different than the Scott Trade Center.

Comment

I attended the semi finals and finals of the Big 12 tourney at the Sprint Center. It is a terrific venue and is comparable to the Scott Trade Center in terms of ammenities, size, capacity, seating. Scott Trade center is, of course, considerably older but as many of you know it is also a great venue for the Valley tournament. There were some interesting differences we noticed between the two tournaments. In terms of overall atmoshphere, I would have to say the Valley tournament is much better. The Big 12 limits the number of cheerleader, dancers and band members. It also did not appear they provided for very many students seated behind the bands. The Valley seems to try to accomodate as many cheerleaders, band members, dancers and students as plan to attend. The Big 12 tourney also did not appear to set blocks of seating based on school affiliation. Fans from each school were scattered everywhere (of course during the finals, the place was basically a sea of blue anyway). We really feel the game atmosphere of the Valley tourney is much better.

As to the level of play, with the exception of the first half of the KU/Texas game which was really played at an extrordinarily high level, we feel like the level of play of teams in the Valley was comparable in terms of coaching, execution, and intensity. What the Big 12 schools we watched (OU, TAM, TX, KU) bring to the table that is not generally found in the valley is a little more size with athleticism at the 4 and 5. However, with the exception of KU, we also felt that Valley teams may "D-it-up" with more consistent intensity. It was very interesting to have an opportunity to watch all of these teams in person and contrast to Valley teams. We are WSU fans of course but also college basketball fans and I think we are able to assess with a reasonable level of objectivity. In general, again with the exception of KU, we felt most valley teams could compete against teams in the Big 12. Certainly the Saluki's win last night (without Mullins) should have once again confirmed this.

Comment

I went to the Big 12 title game last year in OKC and I too came away thinking the Valley's atmosphere is much, much better.

I love the passion of the MVC fans and having the students behind the baskets really fuels that. The Big 12 crowd was just kind of uninspired. The MVC's overall presentation is just much better.

I haven't been to the Sprint Center but the Scottrade just blows away the Ford Center. You can tell they built that place on the cheap.

Watching the Big 12 tourney on TV this year it looked awfully small-time the way they had messages on the scorers table about how the Big 12 had the most wins over top 25 teams.

Comment

Counselor, glad you could make it to the Big 12 Tourney! Your tickets were much better than mine. I was near the top.

I agree with most everything you posted (I haven't been to Scott Trade or the MVC tournament, so I can't compare those things). I thought the atmosphere at Sprint Center was a little tame, too (it was a madhouse compared to when the Tournament is in Dallas, though). KU/Texas has been the best rivalry in Big 12 hoops for several years now, and that was one of the better matches we've had. It doesn't help the atmosphere that the fans of South teams don't really care about hoops all that much.

I think the Sprint Center is nice, but the area around it really makes it great. Did you get to visit any of the entertainment spots around the arena?

I don't think there is any doubt that MVC teams can compete with and defeat Big 12 teams regularly. There are times when all the recruiting stars in the world can't make up for execution, experience and big brass balls.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

We were on row 12 at the corner of the court and had a great view of the game ... close enough to the bench that we could occasionally make out what was being drawn up on the board during timeouts. I think Saluki123 said it well. The Valley fans, in general, seem more passionate and the fans in the Sprint Center were a bit "tame". Just our perception. The fact that three of the schools we saw were south Big 12 I'm sure was a factor. Were the four schools KU, KSU, Missouri and Iowa State, the fan dynamics would likely have been quite different. It seemed there were many fans, like us, that were not necessarily supporting a particular school (although I always root for the Kansas schools. Sorry. I know that is blasphemy to some) but were just there to watch some top level college basketball. We stayed at an outlying hotel and did not have a chance to experience the downtown area but from what we saw it looked as though it would have been great. We always enjoy the downtown area in St. Louis as well.

Comment

screw the big 12
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                    screw the big 12
                    news, do you ever have anything positive to say? Jeez! :(
                    SFL is back!

Comment

screw the big 12
                      I typically agree but when it comes out randomly, it just reeks of jealousy.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                        screw the big 12
                        sorry i need to learn to stay away from shockernet after i come home from drinking free beer :good:
                        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

screw the big 12
                          sorry i need to learn to stay away from shockernet after i come home from drinking free beer :good:
                          Are you telling me you aren't in high school?

Comment

Saul's thinking newshock will buy him beer since he isn't old enough....

Comment

Originally posted by Saulbadguy
                              screw the big 12
                              Are you telling me you aren't in high school?
                              Saul, I thought the same thing... always ass/u/me/d that 1234 was about a 10th grader.

1234, please forgive me for my ignorance. ;-)
                              SFL is back!

Comment

Working...
                              X