Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Shocker team was better

Over Christmas the topic came up..

The Final 4 team- Quickness, depth, dark horse set up going into the tournament.

NIT Champs- Big team.. They were in the NIT because they lost a couple games that they should have won and couldn't afford to lose. We really didn't see their best until the NIT. But even if they would have made the NCAA tournament, point guard was their weakest position.

1991 UNLV Runnin Rebels.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      1991 UNLV Runnin Rebels.
      Well, yeah. Goes without saying.

Comment

I've always maintained that the team in between those teams, the 11-12 team was the best. That was Ron's redshirt year.

They got a tough matchup in Portland vs vcu. I've always wondered how that season would have turned out with Ron coming off bench instead of demetric.

Comment

Originally posted by AG1219 View Post
          I've always maintained that the team in between those teams, the 11-12 team was the best. That was Ron's redshirt year.

They got a tough matchup in Portland vs vcu. I've always wondered how that season would have turned out with Ron coming off bench instead of demetric.
          That team looked better on paper than they were in reality, IMO. The final 4 team was not as deep as the NIT team, but had a better starting 5. Our undefeated team was the best and could have competed for a Nat'l Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            That team looked better on paper than they were in reality, IMO. The final 4 team was not as deep as the NIT team, but had a better starting 5. Our undefeated team was the best and could have competed for a Nat'l Championship.
            I get into that discussion also in my opinion though I think 11-12 team was the best and deepest team we have had, as far as overall talent and depth. Just a bad draw in vcu first round.
            ShockerNut 2305

Comment

Seems like a lot of people don't trust this years team yet. I think the slow start without Fred jilted everyone including non-fans, the most common question I'm getting is how could wsu be that bad when they only lost 2 players from last year? The post play is definitely the biggest concern. I think Grady can step up to the level we need him to be at. But just imagine this years team with a Carl Hall or J.T. Durley type player. They would be nearly unstoppable.. How far does this years team go, based off what we've seen thus far?

Comment

Originally posted by AG1219 View Post

I agree. If that team gets by VCU then they are setup to make a long run in the tournament and they would have been perceived differently.

Otherwise I rank them:

1. 2013-14 Team. Great consistency all season (35-1). Great Defensive team and very good offensively. If they get by Kentucky, who know where they go. This was just a fun, fun time.
                2. 2012-13 Team. Defensive ability made up for their lack of offense. Injuries disrupted them finding their roles and consistency, but it all came together for the Final 4 run.
                3. 2011-12 Team. Best offensive shocker team - almost had 6 players in averaging double figures. Best 3pt shooting team. 2 of their 6 losses were in OT. Unfortunate they drew VCU.
                4. 2014-15 Team. Another great defensive team, but offense was probably the 3rd best of this period mainly do to lack of depth as far as scorers (4 deep). Will always be remember for their KU victory.
                5. 2015-16 Team. Work in progress - worst 3pt shooting team than any of these teams. Worst defending team at this point giving up 65 ppg and 43% shooting. Future is cloudy, but it not how you start but how you finish.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                  Seems like a lot of people don't trust this years team yet. I think the slow start without Fred jilted everyone including non-fans, the most common question I'm getting is how could wsu be that bad when they only lost 2 players from last year? The post play is definitely the biggest concern. I think Grady can step up to the level we need him to be at. But just imagine this years team with a Carl Hall or J.T. Durley type player. They would be nearly unstoppable.. How far does this years team go, based off what we've seen thus far?
                  We have JT in Shaq. All of JT.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I personally think the best team I've seen up until now was the 35-1 season. That team was so much fun to watch. The scoring options were numerous and the defense was damn good too. This year's team has a chance to be that good by March if everything comes together and everyone grows as we hope they will.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      1991 UNLV Runnin Rebels.

it's insulting to the 91 UNLV team for us to even talk about any of our teams ever being good teams

Comment

35-1 team was the best team.

I don't think it's all that close either.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I'm picking the 17/18 team because I think the best is yet to come.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                            I'm picking the 17/18 team because I think the best is yet to come.
                            The .944444 team could be very good, indeed!
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                              35-1 team was the best team.

I don't think it's all that close either.
                              Yeah. They get by UK and I believe we have another Final 4 and quite possibly a Natty Title.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                              X