Analysis of FT disparity this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analysis of FT disparity this season

Article from RushTheCourt regarding WSU's early season issues. Obviously, the officiating in the Seton Hall game was questionable, so I don't know if any of our other losses can come down to opponent's FTs. And while our opponents have only made on average 1 more FT per game (more if you exclude Nevada, yet that game somewhat balances SHU), the comparison to last year is relevant:

On the other end of the floor, Wichita State may need more than just time to adjust to the new rules on fouling. The Shockers came into their contest with Nevada giving up 53.3 free throws per 100 field goal attempts, and Tuesday night’s game didn’t change that as the Wolf Pack attempted 31 free throws in defeat. The Shockers rank 346th out of 351 Division I teams in defensive free throw rate and, as a result, opponents are scoring 27.3 percent of their points against them from the charity stripe. By comparison, opponents managed only 21.7 percent of their points from the foul line against Wichita State last season. For their part, the Shockers appear a bit frustrated with the way games are being officiated. “You never know what you’re going to get and that makes it hard. You have to adapt after the game starts,” Marshall said on Tuesday. Adaptation is valuable on the offensive end where VanVleet noted the Shockers will get “more aggressive” if the officials are sticking with the new rules, but on the defensive end, the team will need to clean up its play in that regard to avoid giving away too many free points in conference play.
    The article also addresses Fred's injuries. RTC usually does a good job.
    Last edited by RoyalShock; December 23, 2015, 04:53 PM.

What are you talking about the refs arent the reason we lose games... stupid fans think they know it all

Shockerfanmas probably

Comment

So, do our resident referee enthusiasts really believe that WSU is the 6th worst team at defending without fouling in the nation?

I'll hang up and listen.

Comment

Regarding the bolded part of my post (a difference of 5.6% of points scored per game from the FT line), if using an average of 65 points scored per game, our opponents are getting 3.6 ppg more from the FT line this year when compared to last year. Besides the Seton Hall game, only the Alabama game might have had a different result.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          Regarding the bolded part of my post (a difference of 5.6% of points scored per game from the FT line), if using an average of 65 points scored per game, our opponents are getting 3.6 ppg more from the FT line this year when compared to last year. Besides the Seton Hall game, only the Alabama game might have had a different result.
          I'd prefer an 8-3 record over a 6-5 one! :)
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Kinda saw "this" coming when the new rules came out. Hard to "play angry" when you don't know how the game will be called on a consistent basis.

Sidenote - it was interesting (I thought) that the very next game the SHOCKERS played after a pretty badly lopsided officiated Seton Hall loss....that the whistles went crazy in favor of the Shocks. Hey NCAA...we don't need the "make up call game." Just try to keep it fair will ya! Geez...
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Our opponents have shot 12.3 more FTs than us on the road, and 13.7 less than us at home. If both teams are shooting roughly 70%, that is an 18 point swing. Switch all our home and away games and imagine the narrative:

@ Charleston Southern: 79-72 W. Surprisingly tough game for the Shockers, unexplainably playing a buy game at Charleston Southern.
              vs Tulsa: 76-68 W. In their first home game of the season, the Shockers take on a tough senior-led Tulsa squad. The game is close throughout, but about midway in the second half we start to pull ahead.
              vs Saint Louis: 77-44 W. After a disappointing showing Orlando due to injuries, the Shockers quickly showcase their healthy roster with an absolute throttling of Saint Louis.
              @ UNLV: 45-59 L. In a completely dismal offensive performance, Wichita State throws a winnable game by simply not scoring enough.
              vs Utah: 58-59 L. Despite the loss, Shockers earn some national respect for going to the house of a top 25 program and playing them within one point. Despite shooting better from the field, a 6-26 FT disparity gives Utah the edge they need.
              vs Seton Hall: 76-59 W. Getting revenge for the narrow loss last week, the Shockers rip Seton Hall a new one at Koch Arena.
              @ Nevada: 91-78 W. Continuing the hot streak, we win a road game by a substantial margin.

In this hypothetical scenario we are still 5-5, but our wins and losses have flipped around. I think the referees this year have had way too much impact on the game.

Comment

Working...
              X