I take it back --

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I take it back --

I take back my slight criticism (and it was slight) of HCGM for, lack of a better word, unguarded comments made during the season that seemed to lack some sensitivity or diplomacy. At least Marshall is excited about next year -- not so much Donovan.

Billy Donovan knew this season would be tough. But after Florida lost to Alabama in the SEC tourney, the coach ripped his young players for their lack of commitment, energy and excitement. And it doesn't look to be getting any better, writes Mark Schlabach.

I don't think these fans that expect coaches to all be nicey nice all the time understand the situation of trying to put a well disciplined team together on the court.

They can not just say, 'Well, try a little harder next time, son'. It doesn't work like that in real life, and never has. Not very often does someone come along that develops their full potential without someone in back of them pushing them to do it, and yes, sometimes that involves having a 'boot camp' mentality to get that done.

Yes, Bobby Knight is very controversial, but he is also the winnest coach in the history of Division 1 basketball. (902 wins, I believe).

Comment

At least he is taking responsibility in not taking the appropriate steps necessary to motivate his players.

Go Shocks!!!!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I fail to realize the problem here.

Comment

From the article: " ... Parsons told reporters Florida simply wasn't ready to play against Alabama ..."

This has to be the dumbest statement in sports. What does this mean, did they forget to tie their shoes, or what?

Why not try something like, "We suck and the other team is better."

--'85.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

From "The Coach's Guide to Handling the Media":

When asked what went wrong after a loss, choose one of the following responses:

1. "We had __ turnovers, got outrebounded by __ and shot __% from the floor. You tell me!"
            2. "The guys battled hard but we came up short down the stretch."
            3. "We just couldn't get a stop when we needed one."
            or, if you don't mind getting criticized by the media and fans, one of these will do . . .
            4. "I just can't figure out this team." (A current Big12 coach has used this often in his career, to mixed reviews).
            5. "We weren't mentally prepared to play the game."

But NEVER admit that the other team was better. Media and fans are simply not intelligent enough to understand this reasoning.

Comment

I think RS pulled all of those out of Eagle articles following some of Turgeon's more "interesting losses" while at WSU.

That would make for some interesting discussion in the off-season.
              Name 3 coaches from WSU past and tell us each of their worst losses (for you personally) and why.

To keep from being too much of a debbie-downer, also pick on one of the same coaches best wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                I think the point of the thread is that Marshall is not the only coach who has ever called a spade a spade and too many on here get their panties in a wad over such things (later part my feeling).

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                  Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                  I think the point of the thread is that Marshall is not the only coach who has ever called a spade a spade and too many on here get their panties in a wad over such things (later part my feeling).
                  Hence my saying "I take it back." Hope I am forgiven.

Comment

Amongst other things, what is seriously lacking in Donvan's team this year is senior leadership. He has a lot of young talent and undoubtedly will bring in one or more McDonald All Americans for next year as well. But it is rare to have the real team motivators as freshmen and sophmores.

Oh, the woes of those poor teams who are loaded with the talent and athletes, and high powered coaches, but just don't have the team chemestry to make it work. A downright pity.

Comment

This comment really isnt directed towards the article but with everybody they have coming in and coming back next year If I was a florida Gator fan I would be highly upset with anything less than a final 4

Comment

Working...
                      X