No announcement yet.

Fred likely out till December 5th, Saint Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For perspective in terms of healing, last year Tony Parker of the Spurs hurt his hamstring on December 5, missed three games; had limited and not terribly effective duty in two games a week later; missed the next five (two on inactive status); played the next two, including one pretty good game; then sat out another five (four inactive) and did partial duty in two more until he was finally ready to return fully on January 10, which was also his first positive +/- game after the injury.

So Parker was of limited to no value on the court for five weeks, including four after reinjuring himself the first time, and 2 1/2 after a second tweak. The good news is that Parker was 32 at the time, whereas Fred has yet to turn 22 and is likely a faster healer. And the Shockers will be adding Frankamp, who's been practicing with the team for quite a while now, December 12 to help lighten the load on Feed and Ron from then on.

All they have to do is survive Orlando to give FVV 2 1/2 weeks of healing time before St. Louis -- and if he sits that one as well, three weeks before UNLV shows up, after which Frankamp comes along to help.

WSU is enough of a name brand now, as is Fred himself, that the tournament selectors won't overlook his absence this year. Depending on how JR Simon and Taylor play, the damage to WSU's record is unlikely to be crippling, especially when Fred's absence is factored in; and come March -- assuming the coaches and FVV show the proper restraint (admittedly, not always an easy task) -- he'll be fresher than usual when it matters most. They just need to make sure not to wear out Baker. Shamet's situation is a wild card, but whatever time he misses now will also help his freshness later. Meanwhile, more production will be needed from Zach Brown -- time to become a man -- and also from Wessel filling in at the SF.

Comment

John Robert Simon, this is your time, do you want it? Take it.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Rest up Mr Van Vleet. It's a long season and you will be needed come valley and post season. Time for the rest of the team and step up. No reason the Shocks can't still win in Florida. Next man up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
          Anyone get the sense that this season might shape up much like 2012-2013?

I can see it now. Committee fails to account for team health, or lack thereof, throughout the regular season. Losses to Tulsa and someone in Orlando keep the Shox in the lower half of the top 25 most of the year. Shox get way underseeded, but make a strong run come March with team health and chemistry as strong as ever.
          BIG difference might be the build up of performances in the interceding years...lots of strength of performance there...

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            BIG difference might be the build up of performances in the interceding years...lots of strength of performance there...
            You think the past 4-5 years will give WSU a boost in seeding because of some new credibility with the committee?

Where was this boost when, coming off a Final Four, and then an undefeated regular season, the committee gave WSU a 7 seed last year?

Comment

You think the past 4-5 years will give WSU a boost in seeding because of some new credibility with the committee?

Where was this boost when, coming off a Final Four, and then an undefeated regular season, the committee gave WSU a 7 seed last year?
              Yep. At this point, we're way closer to fighting for our tournament lives than worrying about getting screwed on seeding.

Comment

I truly believe that the committee was jerking the bracket around for the possibility of a WSU/KU match up. They are not above trying to give the TV folks the most interesting matchups possible.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Cdizzle, I wouldn't go that far, but I get your point. I still think WSU is more likely to be a top 4 seed than miss the tourney all together. A little hot shooting streak now from Wessel and some bounces go the Shox way and things will be looking mighty fine entering the MVC portion of the season.

Comment

Remember "Gregg doesn't recruit subs"? Now we find out. Won't be at all surprised to see some of the youngsters step up in the face of adversity. Rally around Ron and Anton and lets get this done.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Cdizzle, I wouldn't go that far, but I get your point. I still think WSU is more likely to be a top 4 seed than miss the tourney all together. A little hot shooting streak now from Wessel and some bounces go the Shox way and things will be looking mighty fine entering the MVC portion of the season.
                      Look who is drinking the kool-aid these days! I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        It is times like these I wish we had a home game to help the guys out.
                        We did, against Emporia State, and it kinda sucked.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Look who is drinking the kool-aid these days! I like it.
                          Beating his Hawks last year must've opened up some eyes.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                            I truly believe that the committee was jerking the bracket around for the possibility of a WSU/KU match up. They are not above trying to give the TV folks the most interesting matchups possible.
                            Bingo. KU was at best a 3. We were at worst a 4.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              Beating his Hawks last year must've opened up some eyes.
                              JH4P has, on more than one occasion, been too ardent of a defender of the B12 based on regular season numbers for my taste. But I certainly wouldn't go that far.

Comment

I vote Ron at the 1 and Ty at the 2.
                                I would love to see this line-up. We know Ty isn't ready to run the team. We also know the kid is extremely confident in his shot and shoots pretty damn well.
                                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X