2015-16 All Sports Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015-16 All Sports Trophy

With the conclusion of the Volleyball regular season last night the Valley fall sports slate has been concluded in terms of All-Sport scoring as the Shockers embark on trying to capture their 10th All-Sports Trophy in the last 13 years.

The fall sports include Volleyball, Men's and Women's XC, and Men's and Women's Soccer. The Shocks, of course, do not compete in Soccer. The Shocks have a 1st (VB), 2nd (WXC) and 3rd (MXC) this fall.

The standings at this point are:
    1. WSU - 2.00
    2. ILS - 3.25
    3. BU - 3.50
    4. MSU - 4.63
    5. DU - 4.90
    6. LOY - 5.20
    7. SIU - 5.33
    8. INS - 5.88
    9. UNI - 6.38
    10. EU - 7.40

That's not great news for the rest of the Valley as the Shockers had one of their better fall performances. The last two years the Shocks were at 4.00 and 4.17 in average finish at the end of the fall season sitting in 3rd and 5th place respectively and the Shocks ended up winning those AST's going away.

This winter the Shocker men's basketball team is expected to repeat as champions and although they are off to a halting start they should be okay come conference time with Fred hopefully back in full swing and with Conner added to the mix.

Women's BB looks to be down as they are picked to finish 5th this year. The Shocks should represent very well in indoor track and field.

The Spring is the most important time of the year for AST scoring as 8 championships are held during that part of the year.

Shocker baseball, despite struggling in the non-conference season managed to finish in a 2-way tie for 3rd last year. If they can stay healthy they have a very good opportunity to improve on that finish.

Softball, after a horrible start to the Valley season last year, finished in 4th place. I think they have a really good shot at improving on that this year.

Men's and Women's Golf, both Outdoor T&F teams and both Tennis teams should be right at or near the top of the league again this Spring.

Shocks are looking very good to make it 10 out of the last 13.

:poster_shocks:

With Women's Basketball completing their regular season this weekend the winter sports portion of the Valley All-Sports competition is complete. I have the standings as follows:

1. WSU 2.57
    2. ILS 3.50
    3. SIU 4.19
    4. MSU 4.31
    5. UNI 4.67
    6. INS 5.38
    7. DRK 5.78
    8. BRD 6.71
    9. EVN 6.94
    10. LOY 7.71

The Shocks did very well in Men's BB and Indoor Track & Field with the Men's BB and T&F teams winning championships and the Lady Shocks T&F team taking 2nd. However, the Lady Shocks basketball team dragged the Shocks down some with their 8th place finish.

The Shocks still look like they are in pretty good shape heading into the 8-sport spring season. The Shocks should do well in the outdoor track & field season, should be competitive in both men's & women's golf, are great in Women's Tennis currently sporting a #13 national ranking, and should be okay in Men's tennis. Baseball was picked 3rd in the preseason poll but that program appears to be in dire straits and a 3rd place finish seems quite optimistic at this point. Softball was picked 1st but not quite sure they have the pitching to actually make that happen but hopefully they will finish in the top 3.

Comment

Seems like a REAL possibility for SEVEN 1s in the spring.

Incredible. At this point, an average of 2.00 amongst the 8 spring sports would be considered a borderline disaster.

Both tennis and women's golf are 1s. Men's golf is a near lock for a one. Both T&F should be 1 or 2. Softball should be top 3 (lead now). Baseball?

1,1,1,1,2,2,3,6. That's 2.13 for the spring. Dare to dream at 7 ones and a 2? That'd be a 1.13 and (I think) a 1.80 for the year.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Seems like a REAL possibility for SEVEN 1s in the spring.

Incredible. At this point, an average of 2.00 amongst the 8 spring sports would be considered a borderline disaster.

Both tennis and women's golf are 1s. Men's golf is a near lock for a one. Both T&F should be 1 or 2. Softball should be top 3 (lead now). Baseball?

1,1,1,1,2,2,3,6. That's 2.13 for the spring. Dare to dream at 7 ones and a 2? That'd be a 1.13 and (I think) a 1.80 for the year.
        Doc, I was just looking at those possibilities myself. Men's Tennis actually tied for 1st with SIU so they will pick up a score of 1.5 points. My best case scenario was six 1's, a 1.5 and a 3 for a 1.31 spring average and a 1.87 for the year. IIRC the Shockers All-Time MVC All-Sports average is 2.13.

I think the biggest risk to this perfect storm is the 3rd place best case scenario for Shocker baseball. 1st place finishes for the golf teams, the track & field teams, and the softball team are all reasonable possibilities. The difficulty is to have everything go your way in all 5 of those championships. Tennis and women's golf are in the books.

I would love to see the Shockers finish with a sub-2 average. That would be amazing especially with the 7.5 points from Women's basketball to overcome.

I don't want to jinx the Shocks by predicting a sub-2 average. Hopefully, dreaming about it is okay.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 25, 2016, 12:16 AM.

Comment

With the Shocker men's golf team finishing 2nd in the Valley Championships today I am now projecting a best case finish of 1.93 for the year. That assumes 1st place finishes for both track & field teams and the softball plus a 3rd place finish for baseball. If any of those sports slip 1 spot from that outcome then the Shocks would finish the year at 2.00.

Again baseball is probably most likely to fall a spot or two. Track & field is never a slam dunk due to the constant risk of injuries impacting the outcome. Softball is in a tough race and the Lady Shocks pitching has been up and down this year to say the least so a 1st place finish there is far from assured.

Still possible to finish sub-2 but far from assured.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 26, 2016, 04:37 PM.

Comment

With all sports completed except for men's baseball the Shockers have clinched their 10th All-Sports Trophy in 13 years.

It appears that the Shocker baseball team is heading for a 6th or 7th place finish. A 6th place finish would result in an All-Sports average of 2.13 which would tie the Shockers all-time record which they have recorded twice in recent years. A 7th place finish would put the Shocks at 2.20.

The Shocks have won 8 outright championships (5 by Shocker women's teams and 3 by the Shocker men's teams), 1 co-championship (men's tennis), 3 seconds, 1 third and 1 seventh place tie (Women's basketball).

The Shocker women have finished with an average All-Sport score of 2.06. Depending on where the men finish they will have an average score of 2.21 to 2.36. I suppose the Shocks might do better then 6 if they do well in their final series of the season against DBU but that would be pretty close to miraculous if that happened.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 16, 2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Just an absolutely incredible run of dominance for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                Just an absolutely incredible run of dominance for a decade.
                And further proof that WSU has outgrown this league of anklebiters.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  With all sports completed except for men's baseball it the Shockers have clinched their 10th All-Sports Trophy in 10 years.

It appears that the Shocker baseball team is heading for a 6th or 7th place finish. A 6th place finish would result in an All-Sports average of 2.13 which would tie the Shockers all-time record which they have recorded twice in recent years. A 7th place finish would put the Shocks at 2.20.

The Shocks have won 8 outright championships (5 by Shocker women's teams and 3 by the Shocker men's teams), 1 co-championship (men's tennis), 3 seconds, 1 third and 1 seventh place tie (Women's basketball).

The Shocker women have finished with an average All-Sport score of 2.06. Depending on where the men finish they will have an average score of 2.21 to 2.36. I suppose the Shocks might do better then 6 if they do well in their final series of the season against DBU but that would be pretty close to miraculous if that happened.

Thanks extra mucho for tracking the All Sports Trophy standings. I appreciate your effort and the information greatly.

rdr
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Baseball is the weak link right now. Wow!
                    Phi Alpha

Comment

Congrats on another trophy!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        With all sports completed except for men's baseball the Shockers have clinched their 10th All-Sports Trophy in 10 years.
                        It's actually the 10th in 13 years and 4th in a row. Since 2003-04 WSU has it every year except 07-08 09-10 (illst) & 11-12 (most)

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                          It's actually the 10th in 13 years and 4th in a row. Since 2003-04 WSU has it every year except 07-08 09-10 (illst) & 11-12 (most)
                          Thanks for the correction. I had that correct info in my thread opening post but made a typo in my last post. Good catch.

Comment

My unofficial 2015-16 All-Sports Trophy final standings are:

1. WSU 2.10
                            2. SIU 3.50
                            3. ILS 4.35
                            4. MSU 4.82
                            5. UNI 5.00
                            6. INS 5.04
                            7. DRK 5.66
                            8. BRD 6.00
                            9. EVN 6.73
                            10. LOY 8.04

If my numbers are accurate the Shocks have set a new All-Sports Trophy average finish breaking their own record of 2.13 that they have achieved on two other occasions in recent years.

SIU's 3.50 might be good enough to win the trophy in some years but not nearly good enough with the way the Shocks have been rolling in recent years.

I will report the sport-by-sport details once the Valley's official tally's are reported.

The Shocks recorded 8 championships, 1 co-championship, 3 seconds, 1 third, 1 fifth place tie (baseball) and 1 seventh place tie (women's basketball).
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 21, 2016, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Glad to see the big Chicago market bringing it.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X