Defensive disadvantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive disadvantage

Before the season began I thought the new rules would benefit teams that play a sound, tough defensive. I'm worried that the opposite is actually the case. I know we're only two games into the season but body on body defense seems to be more wrong than a Kaitlyn Jenner reality show. Unfortunately the Shox own the patent on this type of defense and it's harder to guard an opponent at the free throw line. We also have a decent offense but I wouldn't consider us offensive minded. It seems to me that teams that are used to running up and down the court and driving to the basket are being rewarded by these new rules and scoring 100 a game.

The more offensively methodical teams are struggling.

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
    Before the season began I thought the new rules would benefit teams that play a sound, tough defensive. I'm worried that the opposite is actually the case. I know we're only two games into the season but body on body defense seems to be more wrong than a Kaitlyn Jenner reality show. Unfortunately the Shox own the patent on this type of defense and it's harder to guard an opponent at the free throw line. We also have a decent offense but I wouldn't consider us offensive minded. It seems to me that teams that are used to running up and down the court and driving to the basket are being rewarded by these new rules and scoring 100 a game.

The more offensively methodical teams are struggling.
    What helped Tulsa out during the game was playing zone. If they would have played as much man-to-man as we did, they would have been in serious foul trouble.

Comment

any chance we see the shock play more zone? It's not like Tulsa was lighting it up from 3. Maybe we need to think about adjusting.

Comment

I'm not looking at the stats, but if I remember right, Tulsa was 10 for 22 from 3. That may not be considered lighting it up by some, but I'd be happy to see 45% from the arc every day of the week!!
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          any chance we see the shock play more zone? It's not like Tulsa was lighting it up from 3. Maybe we need to think about adjusting.
          I'd say they were lighting it up and most of them were uncontested. I don't think a zone would've stopped them or much of anybody that night.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Tulsa had six guys make three-point shots. Most of those were within 6 inches of the arc and were not contested. We were not very adept in playing passing lanes (missing Cotton) nor staying with our assignment.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
              I know we're only two games into the season but body on body defense seems to be more wrong than a Kaitlyn Jenner reality show.
              According to the video posted by -- hmm was it @ShockTalk:? -- I think the issue is one of verticality. Both the defender and offensive player have a right to their own vertical space. If the defender violates the offensive player's space by chesting up to him, he's gonna get tagged. This is going to be a tricky transition, but who better to figure it out than Coach Marshall?

I define vertical space as an imaginary cylinder defined by the following equation:

V
              = πr2h

Where:

V = Volume of calls going FOR you,
              π = some mysterious number nobody really understands, also known as RPI,
              h = home cooking factor, and
              r = ref's got it in for you factor (SQUARED)!

In short, if you aren't the home team, the ref doesn't like you, and your RPI sucks -- you're V is very, very small.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
              X