Tony Martin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Martin

Tony Martin, and his quickness, were briefly mentioned in another thread. He was not only quick, he was just flat-fast A very heady, steady player, he rarely made mistakes. On teams of great shooters, Tony wasn't known for his shooting, he could score with the best of them when needed. Tony Martin - one of the great unsung heroes in Shocker basketball history.

Tony Martin! A lot of steals and assists.
    I recall hearing some controversy with D Valentine at the S16 game with KU. Martin was slowed down with a nagging injury, and Valentine remarking "he looked good to me."

Comment

Tony's bad back that limited him severely, the absence of Ozell Jones and playing LSU in New Orleans. I often wonder how far that 80-81 team might of gone given even one of those factors not being in play. Regardless, Tony is one of my favorites.
      Last edited by wusphlash; November 14, 2015, 06:20 PM.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Darnell Valentine wasn't the point guard that Tony Martin was. I don't even think D. Valentine started at point guard for his high school team - that was left to a youngster named Calvin Alexander IIRC. D. Valentine, even though admittedly was a good basketball player, really wasn't that quick. He walked the ball up a good deal of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
          Darnell Valentine wasn't the point guard that Tony Martin was. I don't even think D. Valentine started at point guard for his high school team - that was left to a youngster named Calvin Alexander IIRC. D. Valentine, even though admittedly was a good basketball player, really wasn't that quick. He walked the ball up a good deal of the time.
          Tony was not only a wonderful player for the Shox, but a fantastic guy. I had the pleasure of working with him at Boeing, both here in Wichita, and again later when he was with Boeing in Philadelphia. He made it a point to go see the Shox play in the NCAA in 2006.

Comment

Tony Martin, and his quickness, were briefly mentioned in another thread. He was not only quick, he was just flat-fast A very heady, steady player, he rarely made mistakes. On teams of great shooters, Tony wasn't known for his shooting, he could score with the best of them when needed. Tony Martin - one of the great unsung heroes in Shocker basketball history.
            Tony was very good indeed. Without him, we would not be 2-0 now versus KU at the Dance IMO.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Hey I loved Tony Martin and he was a great leader on that team and a huge key to the success, but, this post is factually inaccurate at every point. I was playing City league Varsity basketball when Valentine was the point guard for Heights. There was no one quicker in the City than DV and very few in the country-hence and All-American and multi year professional.

Comment

Are you sure Calvin Alexander wasn't the point guard for Heights on that great team - 1976 or 1977, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that team consisting of Alexander, Valentine, James Carr, Antoine Carr, and a jumping jack named Adolphus "Doc" Holden. Maybe I'm getting more than one team mixed up or something; it was a long time ago.

Comment

Are you sure Calvin Alexander wasn't the point guard for Heights on that great team - 1976 or 1977, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that team consisting of Alexander, Valentine, James Carr, Antoine Carr, and a jumping jack named Adolphus "Doc" Holden. Maybe I'm getting more than one team mixed up or something; it was a long time ago.
                  You have the team right. However, DV was the point.
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                      Hey I loved Tony Martin and he was a great leader on that team and a huge key to the success, but, this post is factually inaccurate at every point. I was playing City league Varsity basketball when Valentine was the point guard for Heights. There was no one quicker in the City than DV and very few in the country-hence and All-American and multi year professional.
                      Agree and an amazing work ethic to boot.

Comment

Working...
                      X