Shocker Roster for 2015/16 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Roster for 2015/16 Season

Given postings on various threads discussing this season's Shocker Roster, a new thread dedicated to developing an understanding of how HC3G will manage the Shocker Roster this season.

HC3G statements to date inform -
    1. Allen does not play this season
    2. Frankamp sits out the first 8 games of this season
    3. Barney and Nurger have adopted "red shirts" for this season
    4. Bush and Simon, as walk-ons, will see limited playing time this season
    5. Twelve players seeking playing time as the season opens
    • Point Guards - Van Vleet and Taylor (Frankamp eligible in December versus Utah)
    • The Two - Baker and Shamet (IMO a special freshman player who will play an important role this season)
    • The Three - Wessel, Brown, McDuffie (IMO a special freshman player who will play an important role this season)
    • The Four - Grady and Kelly
    • The Five - Morris, Hamilton and B-Wam (IMO a spot player seeing limited court time)
    HC3G will earn his money this season making decisions regarding who starts and how many minutes each player plays. I am optimistic the Shockers will have another 30 win season and play deep into the NCAA Tournament. Would be great to organize a Shockernet Soiree in Houston!

Listing these guys from 6-10 makes almost zero difference to me. They're all so talented, the determining factor for who comes off the bench and plays a more significant role will be the people in front of them.

The way I want to think about it is how we'll play the different parts of our schedule. I think in the Valley we'll take advantage of our experienced guard play and go small ball with Kelly at the 4 and Grady at the 5 for a lot of the time; focus on fast breaks/quickness and making smart decisions after our defense creates a turnover. I think we do that more in conference play than we do non-conference -- though, this team is good enough to force whatever style of play we want on just about anybody. Non-con I think we spare some of Grady's minutes for the long-haul, continue to develop Shaq and use BWam when the situation favors it; play big, maybe slow it down to a halfcourt game for a few games while we adjust to the foul calling.

Comment

I think your list looks good. Marshall will likely settle into a 10 man rotation at most. I have zero inside information on what his game plan will be, but I could see either Taylor or McDuffie also redshirting this year. In addition, BWam is going to have trouble getting on the court this year. He is by far the worst of the 12 players Marshall has to choose from above. He is just not that talented imo. So I see a 10 man rotation with one more freshman redshirting and BWam playing limited minutes.

Comment

Mcduffie shouldn't red shirt...imo

Comment

Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
          I think your list looks good. Marshall will likely settle into a 10 man rotation at most. I have zero inside information on what his game plan will be, but I could see either Taylor or McDuffie also redshirting this year. In addition, BWam is going to have trouble getting on the court this year. He is by far the worst of the 12 players Marshall has to choose from above. He is just not that talented imo. So I see a 10 man rotation with one more freshman redshirting and BWam playing limited minutes.
          I do not think HC3G will try a two platoon rotation like Calipari played at Kentucky last year; but will rotate players based on opponents and game situations. McDuffie may be the most talented player with the highest potential upside on the roster and will not IMO be a red shirt; his freshman year could mimic FVV's in that he (and Shamet) could easily be vying for equal playing time to the starters. BWam IMO is most likely assigned the bench seat furtherest from HC3G.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
            BWam IMO is most likely assigned the bench seat furtherest from HC3G.
            Although after Bush's blown layup in the Hawaii Pacific exhibition, he set down at the head of the bench and Marshall squatted down in front of him and spent more time talking to him than I have ever seen him do with a player while the ball was in play. I think that Marshall knows that getting Bush right could pay big dividends and (by all accounts) he is seeing more from him in practice than he is in games. I expect Marshall to coach the heck out of him.
            The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

The biggest hurdle for the freshmen is not the talent gap, it's understanding the system. We have freshmen with more talent than many of the older guys, it will just take time on the court and in practice to get them up to speed. As with any newcomer, their time on the court will fluctuate this year and toward the end of the year, the cream will rise to the top.

Comment

Stay up to date with all the College sports news, recruiting, transfers, and more at 247Sports.com

Here we go again.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                  Living rent-free...

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG the koolaid runs thick and deep and the refuse to see the facts crowd is alive and well!

"What do you think the response of the boosters would be if the best basketball college in Kansas went after players ranked at 300 instead of potential OAD's?

Make no mistake - Greggggg caught lightning in a bottle for one game and KU would decimate WSUck this season. Let's hope the stars align and somehow that match-up happens again this season. Marshmallow's remark after last year's game shed light on him knowing he got his 1 game out of 5 victory that night when he said he was satisfied with the current record between the 2 teams. WSUck has a looooong way to go before they should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as KU. FACT!"

Living rent free indeed.

"Make no mistake" indeed....just ignore the truth boys.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG the koolaid runs thick and deep and the refuse to see the facts crowd is alive and well!

"What do you think the response of the boosters would be if the best basketball college in Kansas went after players ranked at 300 instead of potential OAD's?

Make no mistake - Greggggg caught lightning in a bottle for one game and KU would decimate WSUck this season. Let's hope the stars align and somehow that match-up happens again this season. Marshmallow's remark after last year's game shed light on him knowing he got his 1 game out of 5 victory that night when he said he was satisfied with the current record between the 2 teams. WSUck has a looooong way to go before they should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as KU. FACT!"

Living rent free indeed.

And if you try talking to a KU fan face to face they refuse to do it, get red and storm away. It's very comical.

Comment

Without acknowledging the ridiculous "players ranked at 300" portion of this comment, I actually think the boosters of KU would probably be really excited if they recruited fewer one-and-dones and more four year guys. Nearly every KU fan that I've spoken with thinks that a team full of one-and-dones is too high risk/high reward. And lately, KU has just gotten all of the risk, with none of the reward. Knowledgeable KU fans (I know... an oxymoron for the most part) fondly remember guys like Wayne Simien, Paul Pierce, Mario Chalmers and a bunch of guys that stuck around for three or four years. KU's best teams have always been led by veterans.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                          Without acknowledging the ridiculous "players ranked at 300" portion of this comment, I actually think the boosters of KU would probably be really excited if they recruited fewer one-and-dones and more four year guys. Nearly every KU fan that I've spoken with thinks that a team full of one-and-dones is too high risk/high reward. And lately, KU has just gotten all of the risk, with none of the reward. Knowledgeable KU fans (I know... an oxymoron for the most part) fondly remember guys like Wayne Simien, Paul Pierce, Mario Chalmers and a bunch of guys that stuck around for three or four years. KU's best teams have always been led by veterans.
                          There are some sane KU fans but not many post on their board. The more sane ones I know no longer want to converse about the subject because they still have their tail between their legs. However the majority of KU fans in the northeast and who post on their boards still believe that prestige is shown by recruiting the Top 20 players and that is proof of their superiority. There are probably still fans in the closet here in South Central who believe that prestige crap too.

Comment

Living rent free indeed.

My favorite part is that he ended it with FACT ... when in reality, everything he mentioned is an opinion. The only fact we have is that we won the last meeting. The rest is all opinion can't be proven one way or another, so by default can not be FACT.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                              My favorite part is that he ended it with FACT ... when in reality, everything he mentioned is an opinion. The only fact we have is that we won the last meeting. The rest is all opinion can't be proven one way or another, so by default can not be FACT.
                              FACT
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                              X