Where is the real WU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the real WU

I cannot believe that the small "WU" is still appearing at the Shocker games, it is almost embarrassing when our cheerleaders are taller than our mascot. I do not think any of us want to see a small cute mascot, "WU" deserves to be looked up to at all times. I am not sure who makes the mascot personnel decisions but I feel changes need to be made NOW!

Please tell me this is some sort of joke. Of all the things to complain about, this? Really?
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

SEEEEEEEEXTOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, this is about all I can find to complain about, I would like to see WU as impressive as our team.

Comment

Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
          Yes, this is about all I can find to complain about, I would like to see WU as impressive as our team.
          The sound system disaster supersedes the WU situation. Eric's peeps sure missed the boat on that one. They have 5 days to plug the cord back in.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            The sound system disaster supersedes the WU situation. Eric's peeps sure missed the boat on that one. They have 5 days to plug the cord back in.
            I am relieved to find out my hearing isn't failing. How much money was spent on the sound system?

Comment

Originally posted by Wuchalk View Post
              I am relieved to find out my hearing isn't failing. How much money was spent on the sound system?
              Was there even an upgrade this year? I think it simply was some doofus not checking the sound correctly. Maybe it was only "volleyball ready" and not "basketball ready". I can't imagine them not doing a "check" before the gates open to make sure everything was working correctly. Because that thing was sh*t from the get-go. It really lessened the experience for me. The intro videos were practically silent. The pump-up music before the game was virtually non-existent. What little Don Hall does say was pretty much inaudible. It was embarrassing for a high-major Division I basketball program. I mean we did all pay for these tickets, correct? Our wallets didn't get an exhibition break.

These are screw-ups you don't even see happening at a North-Heights basketball game.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Was there even an upgrade this year? I think it simply was some doofus not checking the sound correctly. Maybe it was only "volleyball ready" and not "basketball ready". I can't imagine them not doing a "check" before the gates open to make sure everything was working correctly. Because that thing was sh*t from the get-go. It really lessened the experience for me. The intro videos were practically silent. The pump-up music before the game was virtually non-existent. What little Don Hall does say was pretty much inaudible. It was embarrassing for a high-major Division I basketball program. I mean we did all pay for these tickets, correct? Our wallets didn't get an exhibition break.

These are screw-ups you don't even see happening at a North-Heights basketball game.
                To be fair, it is a whole lot more difficult to get appropriate sound reinforcement at Koch Arena than a high school gym. The acoustics are very challenging. And look on the bright side, the crowd is so powerful that it is easy for us to overpower a sound system. That makes our court one of the toughest environments in the country, for both opponents and sound engineers.
                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                  To be fair, it is a whole lot more difficult to get appropriate sound reinforcement at Koch Arena than a high school gym. The acoustics are very challenging. And look on the bright side, the crowd is so powerful that it is easy for us to overpower a sound system. That makes our court one of the toughest environments in the country, for both opponents and sound engineers.
                  That may be true, but they should know after umpteen years of experience how to set the system up to be heard throughout the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    That may be true, but they should know after umpteen years of experience how to set the system up to be heard throughout the arena.
                    Exactly. This wasn't a case of the crowd overpowering the sound system. It was the sound system failing the crowd. There actually was little to no fan reaction because 80% of the fans couldn't hear or understand anything that was going on.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'm just glad they decided to spend a few shekles to buy a new pair of gloves for Wu. They operated with hands so faded and dirty they looked mint green for the last half of the season and into this off season.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I didn't even notice at all. Good lord, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                          I didn't even notice at all. Good lord, who cares?
                          I noticed both the very short stature of WuShock, as well as, the problems with the sound system and care some about both of these.
                          I probably care about the poor sound system more, but I do think that a 4ft. 11" WeeShock is too small. Maybe a short cheerleader is all they can get for WuShock.

Comment

(Bit of a rant below.)

I believe we are starting year 3 with the supposedly upgraded sound system and video board that cost a combined $1.8M, and each year it sure feels like we start completely over with the soundboard knowledge base and acumen. The learning curve, and lack of operational performance, was totally to be expected at the beginning of year one, but now at year three (and last year as well for that matter) to still be having issues at the beginning of the season is professionally unacceptable.

Are there not a set of parameters that have been developed by now to baseline the sound tech? It doesn't appear to this layman there are, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems to me, all variables such as crowd size, crowd noise, human sound absorption/reflection, CKA sound absorption/reflection, et cetera should have by now become established, known constants, what with something like 30-35 mostly redundant game experiences under the belt of the new system and its operators. The only true variable left is the person or persons running the sound, and apparently every year it is a new someone who starts from knowledge base zero, so the first third of the season (or whatever) is beta testing. Every year, like Groundhog Day or something.

It is truly annoying, and should not be taking place on a product with the budget and support the scale of WSU MBB. Generally, the sound improves as the season progresses, but I guess my point in its entirety here is that process should have only been required in year one. Someone is completely dropping the ball, and apparently there is no one in the athletic administration that seems to really care. WSU MBB has become a "business" of such scale in the community that they essentially have inelastic demand for the product, which sounds great until you realize that such a situation destroys any incentive to either improve or even maintain the product (not referring to the team or staff here). One can only assume that at some level of the WSU athletic department there is someone whose "give a damn is broken", and assumedly that person earns a salary or contract from WSU, ultimately paid for by ticket buyers/boosters.
                            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; November 9, 2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I did sound reinforcement at church for several years. Same venue, same equipment and nearly the same number of people in attendance. I never knew how things would go during the service, even after early morning rehearsals and sound checks. There are many variables.

I wasn't there Saturday, so I can't vouch for the sound quality or lack thereof. But a having baselines, experienced technicians and a pre-event sound check does not guarantee all will go well. And unless it can be fixed by turning a nob, adjusting a slider or moving/securing a connector, there's very little you can do about it in real time.

Comment

Working...
                              X