February 22, 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 22, 2006

I don't recall the exact number, but it had been something like 20 years since the Shox had won a regular season conference championship.

Then, on the road against Drake, Paul Miller got a late-game put-back (according to my feeble memory) and the Shox clinched a tie for the Valley crown with a home game left on the schedule.

The side story to the win at Drake is that the Shox had just suffered a disappointing home loss to George Mason in BracketBusters, but came back for the road win that clinched the title tie.

Bradley took the Shox out of the conference tourney.

The Shox took out an overseeded Seton Hall team and then Tennessee to advance to the S16 before they ran into George Mason again. GMU went on to the F4 that year. Bradley took out someone and then KU to advance to the S16.

I ended up with 3 of the MVC Champions shirts from the old apparel store up north on Rock Road. After about 2008, i moved those shirts to what I wore at home every day. Now I'm down to just one and it's about done.

Just 10 years ago, an MVC Champions shirt was pretty special.

There were some hiccups along the way, but February 22, 2006 should be remembered as the day the Shox shook off 20 years of frustration.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

We came back home from Drake to beat Illinois State for the outright MVC title. Pitt was the other team Bradley beat before KU. That was all following the Brauer buzzer beater in OT against Creighton!

Comment

Who is this creighton you speak of?

Comment

Creighton?

After all these years are we absolutely sure that the word is not CRETIN?

Comment

Working...
        X