Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker-maniac
    replied
    From an off the court perspective this was the best production for Shocker Madness that I can recall. They could do more, but definitely a huge improvement over the prior years. In past years, it appeared that they started planning for Madness the afternoon of the event. This time it actually appears that they started planning this a couple of weeks ago. The emcee dude was pretty good and the dance contests were semi-entertaining. I personally would do away with the ring presentations and add more pizazz, bells, whistles, sirens, fog machines, flame throwers, indoor fireworks, etc.

Leave a comment:

• wusphlash
    replied
    One thing stood out to me. Ron was telling the newbies that, while they were all welcome, this is still his and Fred's team. He looked like a guy who worked out with pros this summer and could make a play whenever he chose. Senior leadership.

Leave a comment:

• shockerfan
    replied
    Gotta remember they had already practiced. A LOT of the jump shots were on line but just short, even CF's. Tired legs it appeared to me. I am not worried about the shooting.

Overall it was just nice to see a little basketball and see the newbies up close. Other than that you can't take anything away from it.

Kelly was bigger and definately stronger at the hoop offensively. He can definately take some contact this year!

Leave a comment:

• wusphlash
    replied
    Originally posted by wufan View Post
    How did Markis look in the scrimmage?
    Originally posted by wufan View Post
    Haven't heard anything about Taylor either.
    My opinion.

McDuffie has really good handles for a 6'8" eighteen year old. He lost a couple driving to the basket. I think he will finish those later in the year.

Taylor really did nothing that stood out. He is very, very quick and obviously can get up as shown in the dunk competition. He has a lot of studs ahead of him.

Leave a comment:

• _kai_
    replied
    Sorry guys. My phone died on me. Periscope drained my battery really quick. Shockerhoops.net will have some good coverage in the next couple days. Hopefully tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied
    Hamilton will be picking splinters out of his butt next to the manager at the end of the bench if he fires up shots like that when games matter. He does appear to have beast qualities though.

Leave a comment:

• Aargh
    replied
    Here's my take:

Did not see the floor: FVV, Grady, Wamukota, Morris, Brown, Barney. That left Hamilton on Nurger in the post.

Did see a lot of court time: Zach Bush, J.R. Simon, Peyton Allen. Oh, great. I get to watch the walk-ons and ineligible players.

Baker was a man among boys. It was easy to pick out the AA on the court.

Nurger looked like a post player, but the Fr guarding him was playing out of position. In comparison to the other players on the court, he still needs some quickness. The athleticism of the other players on the court has been described, so it's a tough comparison to live up to.

Shamet is going to be special. He's smooth on smooth, has a long striding gait that moves down the court in a hurry. Moves smooth, has quickness, sees passing lanes, handles the rock.

I expect Hamilton will be similar to what we saw from Kelly last year. I think it's safe to say he's a 6'8" athletic freak. Probably more athletic than Early.

Taylor. I didn't see any problems. Looked fine playing PG. Looked super quick and super fast. Didn't see anything awesome, but I think it's more important that he didn't do anything stupid either. Definitely not a knucklehead.

Frankamp's shot was off, but that's not surprising considering he hasn't stepped on a court in front of people since the 2014 NCAA tourney. He was nails in the 3-point contest, but couldn't hit squat in the scrimmage. The one drive to the hoop he made was an uncontested drive through a 6' wide opening to the hoop. Two secondary post defenders saw him coming, but they both looked, then stopped to give him a clear layup. He's going to have to fight for PT because Taylor and Shamet will be serious competition for minutes where Conner can play.

Pencil Kelly in as a starter. I thought he showed some Carl Hall-like beast mode. IIRC he was 4/4 on his throws.

McDuffie could be the best player ever at WSU to be considered for a RS year. He'd be a starter or significant role player on Shocker teams from just a few years ago,

Leave a comment:

• shocksrbest
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
    I particularly enjoyed the time when Rashard and Evan went head to head after a loose ball close to half court. Rashard had a step on Evan and reached the ball a tad sooner. They banged pretty hard and were clearly both very invested in getting that ball.

Evan got the ball.
    He was also olding his ribs too. Had me a little worried for a bit...but Evan is one tough hombre.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Stalwart
    replied
    I particularly enjoyed the time when Rashard and Evan went head to head after a loose ball close to half court. Rashard had a step on Evan and reached the ball a tad sooner. They banged pretty hard and were clearly both very invested in getting that ball.

Evan got the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Hilariously bad shooting night, but oh well it was an inter-team scrimmage.
    Thanks for the update!

We sorta sound like our competition when we are forced to play ourselves, "Man, we just had an off shooting night".

Leave a comment:

• shockmonster
    replied
    It was quite physical out there tonight. Hands were allowed more than they will be in games. An inter-squad scrimmage like this is not conducive to offense. They can't run the offense, because they all know it, so they just free lance. They tried to pass the ball and play team basketball but when they can't run a play to get open, and when it is a little physical, the result will often be bad offense. This absolutely happened tonight. Without Grady, and Bush Wam playing ( did anyone see Shaq?), it is difficult to evaluate the play of the inside players but depth does not appear to be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• wufan
    replied
    Haven't heard anything about Taylor either.

Leave a comment:

• wufan
    replied
    Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    The last time I witnessed a free-throw line dunk here was Claudius Johnson one summer. This dunk by McDuffie had me at hello. I also liked how MM took the ball to the rack in the scrimmage.
    How did Markis look in the scrimmage?

Leave a comment:

• forevershockerfan
    replied
    The last time I witnessed a free-throw line dunk here was Claudius Johnson one summer. This dunk by McDuffie had me at hello. I also liked how MM took the ball to the rack in the scrimmage.

Leave a comment:

• RussDaBus
    replied
    Sorry for the quality or lack thereof. My first uploads on Youtube. Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X