Shattered Backboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shattered Backboards

As we say goodbye to Chocolate Thunder I wonder if we say goodbye to the in game shattered backboard? Has engineering permanently surpassed athleticism?

The last one I saw in person was a home game against OkSt in 1990. I don't recall the player, but Byron Houston was on that team. We won that game, btw.

Feel free to share your thoughts on backboards past, present and future.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Nice thread idea. I was just thinking about this earlier, and have thought about it from time to time.

The last time I saw a shattered backboard was when my dad, my cousin, and I went to an NBA preseason game at the roundhouse. I think it was the Nuggets vs the Kings, and I was probably around 10 years old. Someone shattered one of the backboards, they said it was going to take like 45 minutes to clean up, and we ended up leaving. Haha..

Comment

Dunno if this was a rumor or just a mixed up story, but it is said to have happened around 1991ish at a UMKC game. During the half-time show those guys that dunk off trampolines shattered a board and delayed the game for an hour or two, while they fetched another goal from Kemper.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

"Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngineer View Post
          The last time I saw a shattered backboard was when my dad, my cousin, and I went to an NBA preseason game at the roundhouse. I think it was the Nuggets vs the Kings, and I was probably around 10 years old. Someone shattered one of the backboards, they said it was going to take like 45 minutes to clean up, and we ended up leaving. Haha..
          Olden Polynice with the backboard breaker.

Comment

One of the Manliest moments of my life happened today!!!! Lefty dunk in traffic shattered the backboard

Comment

I don't think it was shattered, but didn't Robert Horry of Alabama break the basket in the late 80s-early90s in HLA?

Comment

I broke a Nerf Goal once. Just ask @Art Bunch:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  I don't think it was shattered, but didn't Robert Horry of Alabama break the basket in the late 80s-early90s in HLA?
                  Pretty sure that was December of '90.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngineer View Post
                    Nice thread idea. I was just thinking about this earlier, and have thought about it from time to time. The last time I saw a shattered backboard was when my dad, my cousin, and I went to an NBA preseason game at the roundhouse. I think it was the Nuggets vs the Kings, and I was probably around 10 years old. Someone shattered one of the backboards, they said it was going to take like 45 minutes to clean up, and we ended up leaving. Haha..
                    I don't know the date, but I also recall that game. The backboard shattering, I believe it was the south one.

Comment

Originally posted by Triticum View Post
                      Pretty sure that was December of '90.
                      Also -- not Horry. It was Alabama's 5-man, Marcus Webb, a brute who was about 6-10, 260.
                      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        I broke a Nerf Goal once. Just ask @Art Bunch:
                        I can't believe you got up that high.

Comment

While he didn't shatter the glass , his dunk was powerful enough to bend , or break the rim . At least enough to stop the game for an extended period to replace the rim....... Warren Armstrong/Jabali , # 52 ...... Don't remember the year ( 65-68 ) , but remember the play like it was yesterday...... Fast break , Warren straight down the middle , takes off behind the free throw line , intending to feed his team mate cutting down the baseline........ defender slides back to guard the cutter , and Warren has few options left , so he just rams it home........

Still voting him in as 1st addition to the Rafters........
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                            As we say goodbye to Chocolate Thunder I wonder if we say goodbye to the in game shattered backboard? Has engineering permanently surpassed athleticism?

The last one I saw in person was a home game against OkSt in 1990. I don't recall the player, but Byron Houston was on that team. We won that game, btw.

Feel free to share your thoughts on backboards past, present and future.
                            Kevin Love broke one in high school, and I think Mitch McGary broke one in an all-star game pre Michigan (not state of the art rims/backboards obviously). My favorite is still Sean Miller to "send it in Jerome" Lane. The most powerful is when Shaq pulled the entire post/stand down.

Comment

Was just going to mention the same game Bentley. That poor kid from Providence that he dunked over has to have nightmares about that.
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                              X