• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC, ESPN conference call today, includes Marshall

Here is the announcement from the MVC:

Comment

Two questions...
      1. Does this really mean that any of us could've called in and listened to the call, given that we have the access code, or is there some sort of screening process?
      2. Does this mean that ESPN owns all rights to the games? For example, if it's not a televised (TV) broadcast, but ESPN owns the rights, can Fox still pick it up? Or can Cox 22 still show it? Or will it be ONLY available on an ESPN television network or ESPN3? Or have those details even been worked out? If Cox loses all Shocker basketball games, I imagine there are quite a few who will happily run from their cable "services". I, for one, ONLY keep Cox so I can watch Shocker games that are broadcast on 22.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
        I, for one, ONLY keep Cox so I can watch Shocker games that are broadcast on 22.
        You got that right.

Comment

Two questions...
          1. Does this really mean that any of us could've called in and listened to the call, given that we have the access code, or is there some sort of screening process?
          2. Does this mean that ESPN owns all rights to the games? For example, if it's not a televised (TV) broadcast, but ESPN owns the rights, can Fox still pick it up? Or can Cox 22 still show it? Or will it be ONLY available on an ESPN television network or ESPN3? Or have those details even been worked out? If Cox loses all Shocker basketball games, I imagine there are quite a few who will happily run from their cable "services". I, for one, ONLY keep Cox so I can watch Shocker games that are broadcast on 22.
          From what I have read, this is an EXTENSION of the ESPN service contract. I'm assuming it will work the same way, you can stream Shocker games in the Wichita area ONLY if you have a Cox login and have a Cox IP. So for WSU fans, this really doesn't help us at all due to Cox's embarrassing contract that allows them sole rights to these games. Lets just hope there is a clause that says they have to broad cast it in decent resolution, not in sub-SD like they have been.

I, up until recently, had U-Verse. I had to login to ESPN3 with an X-Finity account from a friend in Seattle AND use my cellphone hotspot to stream the games as they check both Login and IP.

Comment

Suellentrop retweeted Todd Aaron Golden@TribStarTodd 4m4 minutes ago
            MVC commissioner Doug Elgin declined to disclose the financial details of the ESPn deal.

It means nothing/ziltch. Last I saw the total TV package for the MVC worked out to be $190k per team per year. This is counting both Fox and ESPN. All this does is allow WSU/etc to produce (equipement, talent,) its games for the internet, ESPN gets games for its site without lifting a finger. No clue what the "local revenue" sharing is.

Comment

I hate long deals like this. Should the MVC experience a resurgence in 3-4 years they will have no bargaining power to leverage that into a better deal. ESPN will call the shots. And the fact that Elgin isn't disclosing financial details means the MVC is probably paying ESPN and not the other way around. I'm sure each school's broadcast programs will love getting to produce games, but the fan experience will likely suffer.

I just hope the deal with Cox 22 is done. Cox Cable isn't even an option where I live so I can't watch any game they carry. Just put them on ESPN3 with no blackout restrictions.

The Royals are currently getting screwed because they signed a long-term deal with FSN that pays them far below the current market value of their product. And they are stuck in that deal through 2017 or 2018. I'm sure the deal sounded good at the time.

Comment

There's supposed to be show on ESPN3 at 1pm today discussing the deal.

Comment

Two questions...
                  First up is Ron from Wichita with a question for Coach Coach Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    First up is Ron from Wichita with a question for Coach Coach Marshall.
                    Nice. That should just about wrap up the show. If they have a few seconds left, they could throw it to Dennis.

Comment

Matt Sarzyniak @mattsarz
                      Per MVC teleconference, local & regional (ie. MVC TV Network, Cox 22 for Wichita St., etc.) were preserved. To what extent, not sure.
                      Damn!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        I hate long deals like this. Should the MVC experience a resurgence in 3-4 years they will have no bargaining power to leverage that into a better deal. ESPN will call the shots. And the fact that Elgin isn't disclosing financial details means the MVC is probably paying ESPN and not the other way around. I'm sure each school's broadcast programs will love getting to produce games, but the fan experience will likely suffer.

I just hope the deal with Cox 22 is done. Cox Cable isn't even an option where I live so I can't watch any game they carry. Just put them on ESPN3 with no blackout restrictions.

The Royals are currently getting screwed because they signed a long-term deal with FSN that pays them far below the current market value of their product. And they are stuck in that deal through 2017 or 2018. I'm sure the deal sounded good at the time.
                        Good points! STL Cards actually have a worse deal then the Royals. $25M per year through 2017. Royals get $26M through 2019.

Comment

7/23 2:00 PM EDT Missouri Valley Conference Season Preview Show on espn3.com

Comment

I will say, I do like that all the home non-conference and all conference volleyball games should be available.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                              From what I have read, this is an EXTENSION of the ESPN service contract. I'm assuming it will work the same way, you can stream Shocker games in the Wichita area ONLY if you have a Cox login and have a Cox IP. So for WSU fans, this really doesn't help us at all due to Cox's embarrassing contract that allows them sole rights to these games. Lets just hope there is a clause that says they have to broad cast it in decent resolution, not in sub-SD like they have been.

I, up until recently, had U-Verse. I had to login to ESPN3 with an X-Finity account from a friend in Seattle AND use my cellphone hotspot to stream the games as they check both Login and IP.
                              You can watch games on 2022 and get the HD version. Picture is much better.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X