Q&A with Nurger and Taylor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A with Nurger and Taylor

Rauno and Ty went to the Augusta Public Library yesterday to read to the kids. My Dad took my niece and of course this is just one of the many wonderful things that WSU players do that is under the radar. After reading, there was a Q&A session and here's the report I got (Taylor did most of the talking in regards to interesting info):

Grady never misses inside the three point stripe.

There are no injuries.

Fred is back practicing with the team. It was implied that he was cut as the coaches wanted taller, more versatile players at the point. Ty was awestruck by the decision regardless of the reason. He said he follows collegiate PGs very closely and that Fred is one of the two best in the country.

Ty said Landry can play some point, but that he, himself, is exclusively a point. The team is extremely deep, but he expects to be on the floor some with Landry this year.

Ty said he will be the next great PG at WSU after Fred leaves.

Ty thought he knew a lot about basketball and the position, but Fred has taught him so much.

When asked if he grew up a KU fan, Ty replied "I'm a WSU fan and I'm so excited to be here."

Per Ty, "WSU is going to win a National Championship this year!"
    Livin the dream

Great stuff! Sounds mature beyond his years just like FVV as a freshman.

Comment

Anton Grady is an interesting situation. Does he start at the 4 with Shaq at the 5, or is he a post? Are his knees ok and is he quick enough to get up and down the court? I like what I'm hearing so far, but real game situations can be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Anton Grady is an interesting situation. Does he start at the 4 with Shaq at the 5, or is he a post? Are his knees ok and is he quick enough to get up and down the court? I like what I'm hearing so far, but real game situations can be different.
        I think Grady is a 4, but may play the 5 some too.

I think he shoots a quick set shot outside of 8 feet. If not open, I believe he can break players down and score around the basket in an Anton Jamison fashion.

I don't think that his knees are impacting his vertical quickness currently, but with his history, you never know when they may present an issue.
        Livin the dream

Comment

I am not ready to see Fred end his career at WSU, but I am ready to see Taylor become the next great WSU point guard.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I was thinking Grady was a center for Cleveland State and that last year his volatile knee situation caused him to develop himself as a less mobile "below the basket" player who was very good at fundamentals and touch... To the tune of 15 and 8, which is saying something.
            It sounds to me like he would be an incredible 4 if his knees get strong and safe but he may be more inclined to play a certain way (more 5 style) to prevent further injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              I was thinking Grady was a center for Cleveland State and that last year his volatile knee situation caused him to develop himself as a less mobile "below the basket" player who was very good at fundamentals and touch... To the tune of 15 and 8, which is saying something.
              It sounds to me like he would be an incredible 4 if his knees get strong and safe but he may be more inclined to play a certain way (more 5 style) to prevent further injury.
              Grady has played two full seasons since his last knee injury, not one, and considering that he had 47 blocked shots last year (that would be 20 more than any player on our team last year), I would suggest that he has already been playing with some explosiveness.

He did seem to play center at Cleveland State (largely due to a lack of height at CSU), but his offensive game shows plenty of ability to play out of either the high or low post along with range to three, which should make him a versatile option and where he plays will probably largely depend on who emerges since he should be able to be successful as either a pf or c. If you want to get a sense of his offensive game, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwCQ2MqlyA
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                Grady has played two full seasons since his last knee injury, not one, and considering that he had 47 blocked shots last year (that would be 20 more than any player on our team last year), I would suggest that he has already been playing with some explosiveness.

He did seem to play center at Cleveland State (largely due to a lack of height at CSU), but his offensive game shows plenty of ability to play out of either the high or low post along with range to three, which should make him a versatile option and where he plays will probably largely depend on who emerges since he should be able to be successful as either a pf or c. If you want to get a sense of his offensive game, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwCQ2MqlyA
                Well put.
                Livin the dream

Comment

If Taylor and Shamet pick up where Fred and Ron leave off. ...
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    We'll be ___________ in high cotton... :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      I think that Conner will be a big time bridge too. He also has a high BB IQ but instead of the ability to get to the rim at will and the length to be a great defender, he will add big time scoring, handles, and shooting ability.

Comment

grady looks really good in that video. better than i remembered.

Comment

He really uses his body well to make space for his shot. Count me as impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            I think that Conner will be a big time bridge too. He also has a high BB IQ but instead of the ability to get to the rim at will and the length to be a great defender, he will add big time scoring, handles, and shooting ability.
                            After watching the U17 video again, I was actually impressed with how well Connor actually did get some buckets in the paint. It's obviously not his forte, but if you fly at him out of control, he will make you look silly.
                            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              He really uses his body well to make space for his shot. Count me as impressed.
                              Also uses it to create angles when posting up and shows really nice hands receiving entry feeds and snagging rebounds.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                              X