Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Shockers are may favorite team"

Story from my vacation.

On the second day of our vacation we stopped in Lookout Mt. Tennessee. We had decided to ride the incline train up the side of the mountain, see the lovely homes at the top of the mountain and the views from the platform looking out across the state of Tennessee.

I was the first person to enter the train car. I was wearing my white WSU Final Four shirt. I got seated and then turned around to listen to the instructions of the guide. This 14 year old boy looks at me and says "Go Shockers!". I asked him if he was from Kansas and he told me "No. I am from Atlanta. My favorite team is Wichita State. I love Fred Vanvleet. They had such a great year last year."

It made my good day into a great day.
    Last edited by Fairgame; June 12, 2015, 08:25 PM.

THAT'S freaking awesome!

Comment

And that little Georgian will be very happy again this year, as the Shockers should be even better than last year. VanVleet, Baker, and Wessel as seniors; an improved, more experience Wamukota; four good sophomores, Brown, Kelly, Morris, and Nurger; four high-potential freshmen Taylor, Shamet, McDuffie, and Hamilton; plus the strength and experience of Anton Grady and a potential All-American in Frankamp.

Yeah, the Shocker should have an excellent year.

Comment

I'm getting some of that as well out here. "Our" team has definitely made a very positive impression on lots of college basketball fans around the country. Quotes I've heard in the recent years are..."I really like your coach." "I really like that Baker kid." "I really hope you beat Louisville." "I really hope you beat Kentucky." "I really hope you beat Kansas." "I got the Shockers in my Final Four."

I wear my Shocker gear quit often in these parts and NEVER get a funny look. It's always on the up! Statements from above are people from California, Nevada, Utah, Illinois, of course Arizona and even Canada. That Shocker train has picked up some serious national momentum! GO SHOCKS!!! Lots of positives!!!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Nice Story @Fairgame:

I was in the Chattanooga area about this time last year for work and enjoyed every minute of it while sporting my Shocker gear. I went to Lookout Mountain a few times and did quite a bit of hiking in the area. I really enjoyed the trip.
          Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Great post, Fairgame. Did the kid look like a BB player?

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
              Great post, Fairgame. Did the kid look like a BB player?

Unfortunately, the only court this young man looks to have skills for is the food court.

Comment

Been some great Shockers from Georgia!
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

i just recently met somebody from philadelphia, of all places, and one of the very first things he said to me, of all people, was "hey, do you like wichita state basketball?" wow.. he said that he really liked to watch wichita state on espn/cbs/whatever because "they're a fun team to watch" and "what's koch arena like?"

gregg marshall has done so much for the city of wichita, to get the city noticed in a positive light, that it is almost mind-boggling ('hope that isn't too much hyperbole for you, rdr). he is worth every last penny that they are paying him imo. 'being so close to it, it's sometimes hard to tell, but wichita state has arrived, nationally.. no more work to be done on that frontier.. they have already arrived. they are right up there with any cbb team you care to mention. man, i hope hcgm retires at wichita state.
                  Last edited by another shocker; June 13, 2015, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I think that currently WSU is well above VCU and Dayton on a national recognition level and right with Gonzaga.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      I think that currently WSU is well above VCU and Dayton on a national recognition level and right with Gonzaga.
                      2013 final four followed by 35-1. above gonzaga, without a doubt.

more like, right there with louisville, kentucky and kansas.
                      Last edited by another shocker; June 13, 2015, 08:10 AM.

Comment

A little while ago BostonWu relocated to the Mile High area and I've found this crowd out here with their heads buried in the sand. They literally only follow and care about the donkeys and nothing else. No one ever recognizes WSU gear. I've had someone ask me if it was Wyoming State or occasionally the typical are they D1? I don't think that's a reflection upon WSU but rather this weird "sports" fan base out here. Heck folks in Beantown were much more likely to acknowledge me when I was wearing Shocker gear than in Colorado. Any other Colorado residents on this board experience this?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                          A little while ago BostonWu relocated to the Mile High area and I've found this crowd out here with their heads buried in the sand. They literally only follow and care about the donkeys and nothing else. No one ever recognizes WSU gear. I've had someone ask me if it was Wyoming State or occasionally the typical are they D1? I don't think that's a reflection upon WSU but rather this weird "sports" fan base out here. Heck folks in Beantown were much more likely to acknowledge me when I was wearing Shocker gear than in Colorado. Any other Colorado residents on this board experience this?
                          Denver isn't exactly a college basketball hotbed, but the few knowledgable fans here know WSU. But you're right, the casual sports fans follow the Broncos and nothing else.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                            [Insert marijuana is legal in Colorado joke]
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairgame View Post
                              Unfortunately, the only court this young man looks to have skills for is the food court.
                              oh damn that is funny!

Comment

Working...
                              X