Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockwaves - MVC Spring Basketball Update

From Paul Suellentrop's Shockwaves

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/shockwaves/article21463197.html

I
    nteresting reading on the upcoming year.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Um....... Whatever happened to the scheduling mandate by the MVC?

SIU, I am talking about you and a few others. It's like they are not even wanting to schedule D1 opponents if they can help it... :/
    Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
    Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Did Paul really have to write Loyola's section?

I have to give Muller props for that schedule even though I strongly dislike the guy. I hope he doesn't fill in the gaps with 325+ type teams and ruin it.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        Did Paul really have to write Loyola's section?
        I noticed that, too. I know it's Chicago, and there are lots of teams and all, but really -- a D-1 team and once upon a time national champion, even back in the mists of time, and they don't have a local beat writer? What does that say about their local stature (and about them as a window into the Chicago market for the glorious MVC)?

Comment

Even northern Iowa the closest thing they got to wichita state then I gotta predict 18-0

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            I noticed that, too. I know it's Chicago, and there are lots of teams and all, but really -- a D-1 team and once upon a time national champion, even back in the mists of time, and they don't have a local beat writer? What does that say about their local stature (and about them as a window into the Chicago market for the glorious MVC)?
            As I recall, their games aren't broadcast on a local radio station either.

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
              Um....... Whatever happened to the scheduling mandate by the MVC?

SIU, I am talking about you and a few others. It's like they are not even wanting to schedule D1 opponents if they can help it... :/
              Have you looked at SIU's roster? If they could avoid scheduling D1 opponents, I'd be happy. That's a God awful team.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Here's a column on cost-of-attendance in the Valley from the Springfield paper. Interesting that MSU will only fund basketball (men's and women's). UNI will do basketball and volleyball.

WSU will fund all sports. It's going to get more lonely at the top.

Comment

I fear some kind of fracture is looming in college athletics. Could it be the "Power 5" splitting off completely? Could it be that the rapidly rising athletic department budgets are on an unsustainable bubble? I wonder if the entire landscape will be different in five or ten years.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                    I fear some kind of fracture is looming in college athletics. Could it be the "Power 5" splitting off completely? Could it be that the rapidly rising athletic department budgets are on an unsustainable bubble? I wonder if the entire landscape will be different in five or ten years.
                    I don't think anything will happen with the NCAA Tournament...I don't think so anyway...but things like this make it even more urgent for us to get back to the Final Four this next year. You know that the Power-5 would like to be totally done with all of us "mid-major peons." I would like a shot at a national championship before something stupid like a Power-5 separation happens.
                    78-65

Comment

Wow -- SIU spends just over $1 million less than WSU does on athletics? Somebody isn't getting their money's worth. (Of course, they do have football in Carbondale...)

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                        Have you looked at SIU's roster? If they could avoid scheduling D1 opponents, I'd be happy. That's a God awful team.
                        play teams you can beat..

Comment

Universities in the state of Illinois

Someone tell me if this has changed. My recollection is that the former President of WSU (& before that, the Pres of SIU), once told me that athletic scholarships in the state of IL are paid for by state taxes.

Comment

Question on Cost of Attendance. How does that work with in the equivalency sports. In baseball for example you can have as many as 27 scholarship players dividing up 11.7 scholarships. Do all 27 scholarship players get a full stipend? Or do they only get the proportion of the stipend equal to their scholarship share. In other words if a player is on a half scholarship does he only qualify for a half stipend?

Comment

IF(certainly a Big IF) the Power-5 splits from the NCAA, anything can happen.

But if they do, why wouldn't they create their own major sports playoffs?

Likely they split for numerous reasons:

1. Dictate their own rules which best serve their eventual 70-100 plus schools.

2. No sharing of huge End of Year FB and BB Playoff Tournament profits with all the rest of the undeserving smaller conferences/schools or independents.

3. Eliminate the elitists losing to the riff-raft and getting embarrassed every year.

4. And so forth.

Comment

Working...
                              X