Official NCAA Rule Change Proposals for 15-16 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official NCAA Rule Change Proposals for 15-16 Season

Highlight of proposed changes: 30 second shot clock, 4 feet arc instead of 3 feet, timeouts reduced from 5 to 4 and no more than 3 carry over into 2nd half, stricter rules for resumption of play after a TO or Foul Out, team TO's placed 30 seconds before a media timeout will count as the media timeout (but obv. still be deducted off the teams total number of TO's, not a free TO for the coach).

These are all official proposals, they are not officially changed yet. They must be reviewed and accepted by June 8th.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

The odd one that I saw was the fact that for the 2016 Postseason they would add one additional foul allowed per player (so 6 instead of 5). I'm not sure I'm a fan of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      The odd one that I saw was the fact that for the 2016 Postseason they would add one additional foul allowed per player (so 6 instead of 5). I'm not sure I'm a fan of that.
      My question on that is what do they mean "post season?" Is it like this year where the NIT had the shortened shot clock? Or are they talking NCAA Tournament "post season?"

Comment

The Big East experimented with 6 fouls many years ago.

About time on the media timeouts. That should help the game pace considerably.

Comment

If the timeout stuff goes through, I pity about 8 teams in the Valley next year.

Faster pace of play? Considerably fewer timeouts? No live-ball coach-call timeouts?

Hello 18-0 runs.

Comment

And if I'm reading that right, timeouts in the backcourt will not reset the 10-second count.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              And if I'm reading that right, timeouts in the backcourt will not reset the 10-second count.
              I'm torn on this one. I generally think if you have forced a timeout in that situation, you kindof got your reward. Also, this is one of the times when coaches usually call live-ball timeouts, which they may be taking away.

Comment

I am a fan of most of the changes.

The changing of the arch and the shot clock should help open the flow of the game some. I would be fine if they adapted to more of the FIBA rules/dimensions.

That TO rule where it counts a the media is a great ideal one that I had never thought of. It is annoying when a team take a full TO, to only come back for 10 seconds before having a long media TO.

The reducing of the TOs is fine too. With all the team TOs and media TOs, there is more then enough.
                The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  I don't know that it would be needed. If you have pi$$ed away nine seconds already, and let another eight or nine run down your leg again in the backcourt, you will only be left with 12-14 seconds to get your first shot up. If it is part of the rule, things could get interesting if you only have one or two seconds of backcourt time! New strategery...
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I would LOVE if they got rid of a media timeout, even if just when a team takes a timeout. It will make the Roundhouse even more ridiculous. Will be easier to keep people on their feet to put a finishing run on a team.

Comment

And if the no back court timeout rule goes through, with no clock reset, the importance of a full court press just jumps up drastically imo. Like dizzle said, hello 18-0 runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        I would LOVE if they got rid of a media timeout, even if just when a team takes a timeout. It will make the Roundhouse even more ridiculous. Will be easier to keep people on their feet to put a finishing run on a team.
                        I agree completely. Take a media TO at the under 15:00, 10:00, and 5:00 minute mark. If having enough ad slots is an issue, maybe make the under 10:00 one a 3 minute break and have the other at 1.5 minutes. That would provide twelve 30 second spots per half, not including called timeouts.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                          I agree completely. Take a media TO at the under 15:00, 10:00, and 5:00 minute mark. If having enough ad slots is an issue, maybe make the under 10:00 one a 3 minute break and have the other at 1.5 minutes. That would provide twelve 30 second spots per half, not including called timeouts.
                          I like this. It will also increase concession sales and end the HUGE bathroom lines

Comment

Would love the TO changes but not a fan of the 30 second clock. Do not see this helping the offense, just a lot of hurried bad shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                              Get rid of a media timeout? Are you crazy? ESPN will ban basketball!

Comment

Working...
                              X