Shocker Players Make Me Proud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
    For the 3rd year in a row Tekele Cotton had Easter dinner with our family. Three years ago I told Tekele about my mother and father (deceased 15 years ago) starting out as season ticket holders in 1965. He and Carl Hall were excited to take a picture with her (you could only imagine how excited my mom was).

Last year Tekele came with a basketball manager and we had another great time.

This year Tekele came with the same manager as last year, along with girlfriend Gaby (another case of a classy, quality Shocker student-athlete). He always seeks out my mom as a proud long-time fan. My mom had a stroke about 5 months ago and Tekele wanted to take more pictures with her. Here is where I well up. I don't know how long I have with my mom. Tekele has always been her favorite player, as is mine. For him to be so kind and engaging (anyone who knows Tekele understands he is very shy) brings unbelievable joy to my heart.

My point isn't to name drop about hanging out with Tekele. My point, in coordination with the timing of the Andrew Harrison embarrassment, is to reaffirm my glowing pride of the quality of people Gregg recruits into this program. Tekele could very easily checked the box and engaged in the most basic PR with our family over the past three years. Instead, he remembers my mom and how much of a fan she has been for Shocker athletics for 50 years. I love all the great Shocker student-athletes, especially Tekele for being classy and gracious. As I put my mom to bed at her Assisted Living facility tonight all she wanted to talk about was her perceived relationship with Tekele. That's how special he made her feel. Now I'm really welling up.

I will take the athletic and personal quality of Gregg's recruits any day over the entitled burger boys. I am so proud to be a Shocker fan with all the rest of you (even the ones I get into spirited conversations with). I can't wait to continue the journey as we look forward to next season. I hope all of my SNrs had a great Easter as I did. God Bless.
    To add to your SN doctorate you achieved as of late, you can add this post to your resume as being the 2nd most liked post on ShockerNet.

Second to only Matty B when he came here after the Final Four run.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Thank you SHOXMVC for sharing your wonderful story. For those of us who live far away we are never privy to the personal lives of the young men and women athletes we admire so much except for the brief glimpses we get of them on the court; during an after game interview; or perhaps a rare article in the paper.

And I also want to thank many others of you whom over the years also have frequently contributed personal stories as well.

Not only is it great to be a Shocker, it is also great to be a shockernetter.

Comment

Originally posted by 110% View Post
        Will do but 1quick hint...we may have gotten each others mail a time or 2....
        We share similar names don't we.

Comment

@SHOXMVC:
          Oddly enough, I was at the location where your mother now lives. One of the staff remarked how disappointed her Easter was going to be because she would not be able to see her favorite Shocker as she had the two previous Easters.

Tekele never ceases to amaze me by making people like your mom's day or to befriending Noah, the Shocker's Super Fan. Fred, Ron and Tekele have treated Noah like one of the boys on the team.

I had a brief moment in the Cleveland airport to speak to Ron's parents. I mentioned not only was he a fantastic player but an even better person. I told them I had seen many instances off the court where he goes over and above the call of duty to make people's day. Despite his near Rockstar status he takes the time to be kind, gracious and courteous to nearly every one he meets.

This team is full of outstanding young men. I am very proud to be a Shocker these days. And it has nothing to do with our great BB team.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
            @SHOXMVC:
            Oddly enough, I was at the location where your mother now lives. One of the staff remarked how disappointed her Easter was going to be because she would not be able to see her favorite Shocker as she had the two previous Easters.

Tekele never ceases to amaze me by making people like your mom's day or to befriending Noah, the Shocker's Super Fan. Fred, Ron and Tekele have treated Noah like one of the boys on the team.

I had a brief moment in the Cleveland airport to speak to Ron's parents. I mentioned not only was he a fantastic player but an even better person. I told them I had seen many instances off the court where he goes over and above the call of duty to make people's day. Despite his near Rockstar status he takes the time to be kind, gracious and courteous to nearly every one he meets.

This team is full of outstanding young men. I am very proud to be a Shocker these days. And it has nothing to do with our great BB team.
            Yea, I decided not to get her hopes up, as I wasn't sure whether Tekele would even be in town. I thought there might be a possibility he stayed in Indy for the final four after the slam dunk contest. Do you have a loved one at the facility? Why were you there, if I may ask?

My mom gets excited to see Ron Baker about every 4 weeks. He gets his hair cut by the on-staff stylist there. Her room is about 20 feet from the salon. My mom is so blessed with the life she has led (except having me for a knucklehead son). She deserves these joys.

Comment

Sent pm shoxmvc

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
                Sent pm shoxmvc
                My apologies jcdshocker, as you were PMing me I was cleaning it out and I think erased it on accident. Can you please resend? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                  We share similar names don't we.
                  Yes we do.
                  Hope all continues to go well with your mom. Sounds like a special lady. Cherish your time with her. See you around.

Comment

You too buddy. Ur wife is a sweetie. You out kicked ur coverage like I did. Go Jets!!!

Comment

A little off-topic, but WWBSD? I'm guessing if he could recruit a one-and-done with a rap sheet or a kid that worked-hard, represented his community well and was an asset to the university, he'd take the one-and-done with a rap sheet:
                      Phoenix Suns forward Marcus Morris, a former Rocket, and his twin brother Markieff are being investigated by police in Arizona for their role in an assault against a man who had sent “inappro…

We have better standards than they do. Goes back to our coach. He's great at spotting those attributes.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                        A little off-topic, but WWBSD? I'm guessing if he could recruit a one-and-done with a rap sheet or a kid that worked-hard, represented his community well and was an asset to the university, he'd take the one-and-done with a rap sheet:
                        Phoenix Suns forward Marcus Morris, a former Rocket, and his twin brother Markieff are being investigated by police in Arizona for their role in an assault against a man who had sent “inappro…

We have better standards than they do. Goes back to our coach. He's great at spotting those attributes.
                        With all due respect, this line of thinking may be a bit naive.
                        β€œLet your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                        -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                          With all due respect, this line of thinking may be a bit naive.
                          That may be true, but it wasn't the first time.....

I'm not saying our players are perfect, there have been investigations and the whole CF incident.

Bill has at least 2-3 incidents every year. I think our players have better character then the flagship's. Maybe my reasoning isn't perfect, but if you go back and look over the years, BS has had many headaches with his star players.

Comment

Wichita State forward Rashard Kelly: Darius Carter is out of eligibility, which means a bigger role for Kelly. The 6-7 power forward only averaged 2.9 points and 2.9 rebounds in 13.8 minutes as a freshman, but those numbers should drastically increase. Tough, rugged and downright nasty, he could around 10 points and eight rebounds next season.

@JonRothstein: The latest @CBSSports looks at five potential breakout players for the 15-16 college basketball season. Story: http://cbsprt.co/1Itsg5Q

Edit: Reposted in Media Live thread. Should have put it there in the first place.
                            Last edited by jocoshock; April 8, 2015, 03:35 PM.
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I like that he picked a WSU player, and I think it makes sense to pick a WSU player. There are a lot of opportunities for somebody to step in and contribute in huge ways.

Having said that, I would put Shaq Morris and Zach Brown way ahead of Kelly in likelihood of having a breakout season next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                                I like that he picked a WSU player, and I think it makes sense to pick a WSU player. There are a lot of opportunities for somebody to step in and contribute in huge ways.

Having said that, I would put Shaq Morris and Zach Brown way ahead of Kelly in likelihood of having a breakout season next year.
                                Biggest Impact may actually come from Frankamp ... Especially if Ron stays .. those two on the floor at the same time could be lethal.

Comment

Working...
                                X