Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swings and Misses

Some things I was wrong about this year

• I thought our out of conference schedule would provide more of a challenge. Unfortunately, too many of them failed to meet expectations.
    • I thought the newcomers would easily fill the hole left by Chadrack and Kadeem. They did not.
    • I thought Cory Henderson would be getting serious minutes at point guard as Fred’s backup. Instead I saw that Cory can shoot…..and Cory can shoot.
    • I thought Rian Holland would get enough minutes to give Ron some significant rest at the two. He didn't.
    • I thought I would see Rian get a breakaway dunk sometime this year. That didn’t happen. Doubt I will see the dunk
    • After the first few glimpses of this team I believed Rauno Nurger was going to play a good part in our success this year. Turns out his lack of strength made him a non-factor.
    • I thought we would win the Valley but with multiple loses. One loss in two years is amazing in any league.
    • I believed we would win back to back titles in St. Louis. Still scratching my head on that one.
    • I thought our 20 something stars could handle whatever minutes they were required to play. I now think they were tired at the end. The product of too much time on the floor.
    • I thought Ron would establish himself as a first round pick. I don’t think his stock rose to that level.
    • I thought our season would probably end at the hands of a good big man. Instead it was a spread em and shoot em team that got hot at the wrong time.

For a complete list please contact my wife.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

I'm with you on every bullet point. I'll add:

I didn't think there would very much competition in the MVC again like last year. Luckily I was wrong and UNI made it very interesting.

Comment

I thought Shaq would be an instant producer. - Proven wrong
      I thought Shaq was going to be off the team or permanent bench statue half way through - Proven wrong

Shaq ends the season as a producer, and a bright future in Black and Yellow, but man what a roller coaster of expectations with that kid. I hope to see a lot more consistency in his future.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

What does it mean corey can shoot and can shoot.... Implying that is all he did this year?? SeriOusly asking

Comment

Pretty much.

Comment

I was salivating over our forwards. It's safe to say they were not just under-achievers. A couple of them were major letdowns. I didn't realize how good Chadrack and Kadeem actually were. Kadeem would have beaten Shaq out all season, and Shaq was our runaway best.

Comment

What Doc said.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                Some things I was wrong about this year
                • I thought our out of conference schedule would provide more of a challenge. Unfortunately, too many of them failed to meet expectations.
                • I thought the newcomers would easily fill the hole left by Chadrack and Kadeem. They did not.
                • I thought Cory Henderson would be getting serious minutes at point guard as Fred’s backup. Instead I saw that Cory can shoot…..and Cory can shoot.
                • I thought Rian Holland would get enough minutes to give Ron some significant rest at the two. He didn't.
                • I thought I would see Rian get a breakaway dunk sometime this year. That didn’t happen. Doubt I will see the dunk
                • After the first few glimpses of this team I believed Rauno Nurger was going to play a good part in our success this year. Turns out his lack of strength made him a non-factor.
                • I thought we would win the Valley but with multiple loses. One loss in two years is amazing in any league.
                • I believed we would win back to back titles in St. Louis. Still scratching my head on that one.
                • I thought our 20 something stars could handle whatever minutes they were required to play. I now think they were tired at the end. The product of too much time on the floor.
                • I thought Ron would establish himself as a first round pick. I don’t think his stock rose to that level.
                • I thought our season would probably end at the hands of a good big man. Instead it was a spread em and shoot em team that got hot at the wrong time.

For a complete list please contact my wife.
                THANK YOU. For a great new thread that features "anything I want to talk about at all"

There was a huge sugar rush over Marshall, and then a crash with Jans. That thread is experiencing it's last stage in the life of a thread and it's not aging well (possibly/mostly because of me).
                Last edited by Dave Stalwart; April 3, 2015, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                  What does it mean corey can shoot and can shoot.... Implying that is all he did this year?? SeriOusly asking
                  I can live with a guy taking good shots in the flow of the offense but I thought that too often Corey was simply hunting his shot. He certainly gave no indication that he has a point guard mentality. That was disappointing and, considering he is a coach's son, a little surprising to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I can live with a guy taking good shots in the flow of the offense but I thought that too often Corey was simply hunting his shot. He certainly gave no indication that he has a point guard mentality. That was disappointing and, considering he is a coach's son, a little surprising to me.
                    Maybe he reached a bit trying to prove his self worth to the team... Still think he has high upside....he saw more time then some red shirt freshmen.... So he must have done something right

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                      Doc! Power back on in the 21st and Rock area yet?
                      not Doc, but yes...by 10;30 am at our house...

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                        Maybe he reached a bit trying to prove his self worth to the team... Still think he has high upside....he saw more time then some red shirt freshmen.... So he must have done something right
                        He may have a high upside, but he certainly did not show it this year. 18-62 (29%) from the field, 4-8 (50%) from the line 6 assists and 7 turnovers. He has a lot of work to do on his game and his body.

Comment

I agree with not being aware of how much a factor Kadeem and Lufile were.. I knew that we had lost all of our size and the size that we did have was inexperience and unproven. For whatever reason it just didn't seem like our inside game was that vital the past few years. I think Ron and Fred felt the pressure to step up this season and it played a huge factor in at times streaky play. Who knows, if the bench was any better and was able to provide them rest, they probably would actually be first rounders right now and exiting wsu. Lol. It was a great season though, the pressure was definitely on, expectations were definitely high, but they did the best they could. Despite not winning the mvc tournament, it was a good season. No complaints here.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                            At 29%, he can shoot, but he can't necessarily get it to go in the basket.

I have the same let downs about this year, although I probably had lower expectations for a lot of the players. But man, look what we did with all of those swings and misses.
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

If RB and FVV come back, GM needs to give TG and BW their walking papers to find a new program - they were misses. Have to meet the schollie limit.

Comment

Working...
                              X