No announcement yet.

Why Marshall Won't Leave WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Gregg does makes no difference... It's a business at heart... I'm old enough to realize this and know if and when he leaves... We find a new coach and rebuild... Only person that would stay an entire career would be someone whose a wichita guy or has direct ties to the school..

Comment

• One thing I've always liked about Marshall is that he's his own man. He does things his way for his own reasons. I have no doubt that he loves WSU and he would be happy if he stayed another 10 years then retired from WSU. On the other hand he might prefer the excitement and the adventure and the challenge of starting something new. It's his life. I respect whatever decision he makes. One way or another, sooner or later, WSU eventually has to replace Marshall. It's just a matter of when that will happen and who will get the job. Turgeon and Marshall have both made it clear that coaching at WSU is great job, so if Marshall leaves then the next coach will most likely be great. I've never seen much point to worrying.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
        If a coach I loved and believed in sat us all down and leveled with us, saying "you guys aren't going to believe this. They want to give me 4 million to coach in the big 12 at the biggest athletic program in the nation. I really want to stay with you and keep building here, but I think this is my shot just like you guys wanting your shot in the NBA."

All of those players are going to celebrate with him and be glad they could get him there, just like he is happy when he can get a player to the NBA.

Then he can say "now all of us here are very committed to WSU. I want all of you guys to stay true to the program and make the best transition possible to your new coach. Don't come with me. Don't bolt for other things. Finish our tradition and get your jersey in the rafters."
        And then a few years later, the coach and players talk and the players say that "the NBA just didn't work out for us. We had to go play in Europe." And Marshall says, "The Texas job hasn't really worked out for me either. All they ever seem to want to talk about down here is football."

Comment

• Kellen: Dad, everyone on Shockernet thinks you're headed for Texas.
          Gregg: Well, if that's how they feel, then...

Comment

• The biggest advantage wsu has in this Marshall possibly going to Texas scare is that, it's Texas, they can go after any coach that they feel like talking too.. The only coaches who are excempt from their list is Calapari, Roy Williams, Coach K and Boeheim. If Marshall says no, they won't make a huge effort to make the deal better either. Their list of possible replacments is too long to worry too much about one candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by seskridge
              I've often wonder if he reads shockernet. I have a theory that a certain poster is kellen but I bet its like at 0% that it is him.
              SHOCKERBPELLI WAS KELLEN ALL ALONG!!
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
                Wow. Really?
                I think we are a bunch of sheep in this case..lol

Comment

• God, I wish we could make parody accounts. They would take the edge off so much around here
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                  Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                    Kellen: Dad, everyone on Shockernet thinks you're headed for Texas.
                    Gregg: Well, if that's how they feel, then...
                    ...they will be fu(king estatic when they hear we are here to stay
                    The Assman

Comment

• Why would HCGM take a 2nd fiddle UT basketball job with a bunch of ten gallon hat ****-kickin' boosters in his biz? It wasn't like Barnes was a complete bust. Does Marshall want to put up with that crap?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Hey thanks for joining SN during our F4 run and making a subsequent 7 posts.

You are a WSU and CCC insider, no doubt.

Selling a $5K asset is always first on the priority list of multi-million dollar families prior to a relocation. At least that's what I saw on reddit one time. It is really hard to transport a golf cart I hear. Pickups are hard to come by.
                        Certainly not an insider, but the golf cart was quite visible at CCC yesterday as Kellen was playing with a friend. No For Sale sign in sight. And, if he goes - the golf cart won't- it is an awesome Wushock paint job.
                        If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by tw805 View Post
                          Trying to recruit players to the Big 12 would definitely be easier than to the Valley. I can't imagine sitting in some kid's living room telling him how exciting it is to play at Evansville and Loyola. The resources at UT are almost unparalleled nationwide.

With that said, after hearing Rick Barnes confirm that he was extorted by the AD in a power play, how can you possibly want to dive into that mess? Surely there's at least someone asking Marshall if he thinks Billy Gillespie wished he would have stayed at A&M after what happened at Kentucky.
                          Yeah, this is about what I've always thought of a job like Texas. It's really easy to just focus on the money and resources. But at schools like Alabama/Texas, you deal with a LOT of extra crap. Those schools are a bit of a mess, to be honest. There's a reason why Texas exists in probably the richest recruiting grounds for college athletics, has monumental resources, vast fan support, and is perpetually pretty damn mediocre. Even in football -- Texas really doesn't have the success there that you would think they would have being "TEXAS!" Maybe five or six truly successful seasons since 1981. And their football success dwarfs their basketball success.

IMO, something's always been rotten in the Texas athletic department. It's the only explanation for their perpetual mediocrity.

Granted, I think Marshall's good enough to succeed anywhere. But I don't think Texas should ever be anyone's dream job unless your dream is just to be really, really rich.
                          Originally posted by BleacherReport
                          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• FlightAware shows a flight coming from Austin to Wichita (Jabara) a little later this afternoon.
                            Shox-4-Life

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                              My point is ADJS is one of the best there is. Brought in Lamb, Marshall, and Adams.

ADES has only made one hire. It remains to be seen how that will turn out.

If ADJS was still here, I would feel a lot better. I hope ADES can make the great hire, if it comes to it.
                              I was always under the impression that Doug Elgin had more to do with getting Marshall to the valley and WSU than ADJS had.
                              I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                              If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• There are a LOT of experts on this forum when it comes to the inner workings of the Texas athletic department. Didn't realize they had such a big payroll. Lol ;)

Honestly though, when it comes down to it...none of us know anything.
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X