No announcement yet.

Why Marshall Won't Leave WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly has UT won? I keep hearing what a winning program they are... I know they haven't won the big 1 conference for the last 11 years.

Comment

• @kstarheel: From my post in the pinned thread:

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Stats for this post off Wikipedia so watch out!

Rick Barnes Texas Winning Percentage 69.5%, Career Winning Percentage is 65.8% (George Mason 66.7% Providence 58.7%, Clemson 60.1%, Texas 69.5%) NCAA Dance Record 20-20 50% At Texas his Dance record is 18-14 and in 9 of 14 years Texas has lost to a lower seed. 1 Final Four in 2003, 6 Sweet 16's, & 3 Elite 8's. 22 NCAA appearances.

Beloved HCGM a Career Winning Percentage 71.5% (Winthrop 70%, WSU 72.9%). HCGM is 8-11 in the Dance with 6 of his 11 loses occurring at Winthrop. WSU has lost to a lower seed twice (Kentucky & VCU). 11 NCAA appearances.
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
        there was a flight from Austin to Jabara on Thursday, but we were in Cleveland on Thursday.
        Any flights to/from UT and VCU in the last few days?
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by LSUshock View Post
          He is as good as gone in my opinion. You don't turn down that kind of opportunity. WSU is a great place to be, but can't hang with UT on this one. On another note, the Marshall golf cart has been listed for sale at Crestview...Interesting.

You are simplifying his decision entirely too much. Wichita isn't the only draw for Gregg. He also has very strong ties to FVV, Ron, and others.

Incidentally, the golf cart is always the first item to list for sale when someone is moving, isn't it. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerHoops View Post
            Been a great couple days for Shocker fans. We lose to Notre Dame. Two days later, Notre Dame loses to Kentucky. Same day, Texas job is open and "sources" told Yahoo Sports that Marshall has had his eye on the Texas job.

So what happens with Marshall leaving for Texas?
            1. Marshall takes his coaching staff with him.
            2. Marshall takes his WSU recruits to Texas with him (Hamilton, McDuffie, Taylor, Frankamp, Shamet).
            3. With Marshall gone, Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker go pro.
            4. WSU next year is left with a skeleton crew headed by Evan Wessel and some sophomores (Shaq Morris, Rashard Kelly, Zach Brown, Ria'n Holland, Corey Henderson. Some of these players may even transfer elsewhere).
            5. WSU program is ushered back into the Stone Age of basketball with a major rebuilding project.

Ah, times are good for WSU basketball. Amazing that a week ago, I was on the top of the mountain as a fan, having beaten KU to go to the Sweet Sixteen. Now, the Marshall regime is over and it's time to rebuild, again.
            All you glass-half-full people can live in your fantasy world. We'll just see which of #s 1-5 above do not actually happen when Marshall leaves.

Gregg Marshall has always fed us (on Jim Rome and other shows) this line about how important John Kresse and his philosophies have been in his life and decision making as a coach. We'll see if it was all a bunch of talk or if he sticks to what he says.

I've always said Marshall would stay for one more year due to the senior seasons for Wessel, FVV, and Baker. But now that the Texas job has opened up, it changes everything.

Comment

All you glass-half-full people can live in your fantasy world. We'll just see which of #s 1-5 above do not actually happen when Marshall leaves.

Gregg Marshall has always fed us (on Jim Rome and other shows) this line about how important John Kresse and his philosophies have been in his life and decision making as a coach. We'll see if it was all a bunch of talk or if he sticks to what he says.

I've always said Marshall would stay for one more year due to the senior seasons for Wessel, FVV, and Baker. But now that the Texas job has opened up, it changes everything.
              Hmm. No Shocker fan here. Someone who has never posted anything comes on here and berates others who have. Sounds anti-Marshall to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSUshock View Post
                He is as good as gone in my opinion. You don't turn down that kind of opportunity. WSU is a great place to be, but can't hang with UT on this one. On another note, the Marshall golf cart has been listed for sale at Crestview...Interesting.
                Hey thanks for joining SN during our F4 run and making a subsequent 7 posts.

You are a WSU and CCC insider, no doubt.

Selling a $5K asset is always first on the priority list of multi-million dollar families prior to a relocation. At least that's what I saw on reddit one time. It is really hard to transport a golf cart I hear. Pickups are hard to come by.

Comment

It's one thing to be a troll, and a whole other thing to be bad at it. If HCGM leaves I believe he will do so in a classy manner. If your glass is half empty, finish the damn drink and get a refill.
                  Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Let's just say the money at the two schools is close to the same. Texas pays 3.5 million and Wichita pays 3.0 million. Is that enough for Coach Marshall to keep coaching the Shockers???

Is recruiting that much easier at Texas? - Yes
                    Is the weather warmer in Austin? - Yes

Not having to play "Another game on a Saturday in the Valley" is in my opinion a high water mark for Coach. I would bet those types of Valley games is what gets under his skin the most. Not having to worry about a Drake squad somehow winning a Saturday game against Wichita St. simply because Elgin loves fairness and officials blow their whistles on phantom calls to "keep it fair" would be less stressful than say Missouri staying in the game against his new Texas squad. You can lose or have a super close game against Missouri and still make the dance at Texas. Can't do that at Wichita. The old "eye test" they say...

IMO - In order to keep Gregg we would need an invite to the AAC like TODAY!!!!!
                    Four straight years to March Madness and all the great press and high profile...and nary a "squeak" from the AAC or Mountain West. That certainly doesn't bode well. Should coach leave Wichita St. I wonder if a couple of those conferences would be kicking themselves taking too long for an invite and losing out on one of the games best college coaches. The program has never been higher. Perhaps we are destined to the Valley for life.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Trying to recruit players to the Big 12 would definitely be easier than to the Valley. I can't imagine sitting in some kid's living room telling him how exciting it is to play at Evansville and Loyola. The resources at UT are almost unparalleled nationwide.

With that said, after hearing Rick Barnes confirm that he was extorted by the AD in a power play, how can you possibly want to dive into that mess? Surely there's at least someone asking Marshall if he thinks Billy Gillespie wished he would have stayed at A&M after what happened at Kentucky.

Comment

• Did anyone hear what Coach Marshall and John Kresse talked about when Marshall called him back the other day? I think it was on the Jim Rome show that Marshall said he was going to call him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                          Did anyone hear what Coach Marshall and John Kresse talked about when Marshall called him back the other day? I think it was on the Jim Rome show that Marshall said he was going to call him.
                          NSA did
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            If Marshall goes I think Heier goes too.
                            It would be a completely new staff is someone else came in. When Marshall first came here, it was a new staff. He didn't keep any of Turgeon's old staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
                              No effing way they pay their next coach anywhere close to $4.7 millIon... Just don't make sense
                              Some people think that the more you pay someone, then the more they'll produce fo you. It's sort of like in MLB where players are paid millions a year, and then only bat 0.250 for the season.

Comment

I'm guessing you are too young to have made any major life decisions. You are trying to project your own simple views on someone who has many things to consider, and many people's opinions and feelings that will be affected. And I'm not talking about your feelings, my feelings or any one else's in Shocker Nation.

I would suggest sitting back, post less, read more, and use it as a learning opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X