Why Marshall Won't Leave WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
    In other words, you trust 3G's recommendation more than Scott Thompson's (Cohen)?
    Actually, Cohen was Fogler's asst. Thompson replaced Cohen. Cohen was a nice guy, Jans is a COACH!

Comment

• If a coach I loved and believed in sat us all down and leveled with us, saying "you guys aren't going to believe this. They want to give me 4 million to coach in the big 12 at the biggest athletic program in the nation. I really want to stay with you and keep building here, but I think this is my shot just like you guys wanting your shot in the NBA."

All of those players are going to celebrate with him and be glad they could get him there, just like he is happy when he can get a player to the NBA.

Then he can say "now all of us here are very committed to WSU. I want all of you guys to stay true to the program and make the best transition possible to your new coach. Don't come with me. Don't bolt for other things. Finish our tradition and get your jersey in the rafters."

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
        If a coach I loved and believed in sat us all down and leveled with us, saying "you guys aren't going to believe this. They want to give me 4 million to coach in the big 12 at the biggest athletic program in the nation. I really want to stay with you and keep building here, but I think this is my shot just like you guys wanting your shot in the NBA."

All of those players are going to celebrate with him and be glad they could get him there, just like he is happy when he can get a player to the NBA.

Then he can say "now all of us here are very committed to WSU. I want all of you guys to stay true to the program and make the best transition possible to your new coach. Don't come with me. Don't bolt for other things. Finish our tradition and get your jersey in the rafters."
        So sad thinking about.

I guess that's the hard part about not rooting for a school with big $$$$ in a bigger state.

Really think he could still win a title here. It would mean so much more.
        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerHoops View Post
          Been a great couple days for Shocker fans. We lose to Notre Dame. Two days later, Notre Dame loses to Kentucky. Same day, Texas job is open and "sources" told Yahoo Sports that Marshall has had his eye on the Texas job.

So what happens with Marshall leaving for Texas?
          1. Marshall takes his coaching staff with him.
          2. Marshall takes his WSU recruits to Texas with him (Hamilton, McDuffie, Taylor, Frankamp, Shamet).
          3. With Marshall gone, Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker go pro.
          4. WSU next year is left with a skeleton crew headed by Evan Wessel and some sophomores (Shaq Morris, Rashard Kelly, Zach Brown, Ria'n Holland, Corey Henderson. Some of these players may even transfer elsewhere).
          5. WSU program is ushered back into the Stone Age of basketball with a major rebuilding project.

Ah, times are good for WSU basketball. Amazing that a week ago, I was on the top of the mountain as a fan, having beaten KU to go to the Sweet Sixteen. Now, the Marshall regime is over and it's time to rebuild, again.
          I suppose all possible except I don't see Marshall taking any recruits with him. They may not come to Wichita State but they won't be at Texas, if Marsahll does in fact make that move.

Baker may move on to pro basketball even if 3G stays. Not sure how important it is to Fred to get his degree. The way he has become such a great role model, which I think he relishes, would make you think getting that degree is important and that he will be back to finish that job in any case.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 29, 2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• It's between shaka and Gregg...

Comment

• HGGM knows what he has here and knows what he can achieve here - HE STAYS HERE.

Comment

• Has anyone ventured over to a VCU board to see if idiots over there are confirming things that haven't happened yet as well?

Comment

• I'm a positive person...I think even if Gregg leaves... There is so much potential to find someone of his caliber or higher.... This program is more then Gregg Marshall...tradition, community, fans, financial resources...we all want Gregg to stay, but I'm not going to lose sleep if he does because we would have a coach in to take over within ten days....

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
                    Did I miss the sarcasm or did you mean to say the Japanese?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                      Some of you guys are silly. If Coach Marshall leaves then you celebrate everything wonderful he did for WSU and go find the next guy.

If Marshall thinks Jans is ready, then you hire Jans. If he thinks Jans needs more seasoning, then you find someone else. I would personally take his recommendation on the next coach. Even if he left, he would hardly want WSU to fall apart without him.
                      I will point out that Jim Schaus hired Jody Adams away from Murray State after only 1 year on the job. Jody inherited a very good team at Murray State and went 24-8 with an NCAA appearance in her 1 and only year as the Racer's head coach before Jim Schaus enticed her to come to Wichita State to take over what was then a moribund program.

So there is recent history of hiring a coach after their 1st season as a head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuchalk View Post
                        Think Animal House.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

The Assman

Comment

Really?

Seriously?
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              I will point out that Jim Schaus hired Jody Adams away from Murray State after only 1 year on the job. Jody inherited a very good team at Murray State and went 24-8 with an NCAA appearance in her 1 and only year as the Racer's head coach before Jim Schaus enticed her to come to Wichita State to take over what was then a moribund program.

So there is recent history of hiring a coach after their 1st season as a head coach.
                              ADJS
                              The Assman

Comment

• Anyone trust the validity of what Forbes from Yahoo Sports (original reporter who said 3G told Bama to not waste their time as he was looking towards Texas)?
                                "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                                Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Working...
                                X