The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
    Can we all agree that for 4-5 million a year, we won't be that mad if he leaves? Good grief.
    Not mad. Just means he is a gun for hire. I'm still convinced he is not that.

Comment

• Originally posted by WillieJeffJeffries View Post
      Quite a few schools not on that list, Maryland to name one, was curious what Turd was making......4M still tough to reject for HCGM....I hope WSU can make it close but I still think the MVC is the problem.....
      If the MVC is the problem now, why wasn't the Big South a problem when he was leaving Winthrop? He could have gone to a P5 school from there. He didn't. He came here, where basketball is first and everything else is second and football doesn't exist.

Comment

• On Texas:

Seth Davis@SethDavisHoops 9m9 minutes ago
        If you want a sleeper for the job, it could be Avery Johnson. I'm also hearing some Brad Stevens chatter. This will be a fun one.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          Not mad. Just means he is a gun for hire. I'm still convinced he is not that.
          I agree. I'd be shocked if he takes either Alabama/Texas. Convinced its not about the money with Gregg.

Comment

• Chip Brown@ChipBrownHD 3s4 seconds ago
            #Texas' contact with #VCU coach Shaka Smart has come through #UT's search firm. That way everyone can say "no direct contact."

Comment

• To clear up, the list of coaches included NCAA Tournament coaches from 2014. The list does not include SMU, Illinois, Arkansas, Maryland, etc. So no, it is not a comprehensive list.
              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                Did you say "more job security?" My God man, how much "more job security" could the man have? You want Bardo to sign the University over to Marshall -- he practically has already. Marshall gets what he wants (as long as it's not out in left field) and he makes great money here. Could he make more -- sure, but Wichita State does have its limits -- what those limits are I really don't know.
                Marshall could get drunk, pee off the roof of Koch Arena, kick out a few cop car windows, set a flaming bag of dog crap on Sexton's porch, and he would still get a raise. He's got that kind of job security.

Comment

• Originally posted by tw805 View Post
                  Marshall could get drunk, pee off the roof of Koch Arena, kick out a few cop car windows, set a flaming bag of dog crap on Sexton's porch, and he would still get a raise. He's got that kind of job security.
                  On a tangent, I asked a Duke alum recently what it would take to get K fired. The scenario I proposed was K showing up visibly drunk to games, wearing only a jacket with bare flesh underneath, and losing every game the coming season.

He wasn't convinced that'd be enough to get him fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    A continuous $14 million 7-year contract has you set for life as well.

I certainly wouldn't blame him for taking a $5 million a year offer. But let's hold the boat bucko. I'm thinking that number, like a lot of things flown around lately, is not accurate.
                    I have heard from some here he is concerned about being able to share the wealth with his family. How about a raise to, say $2.8 million and fund a $50 million 10 year deferred annuity ($50 million at maturity), payable in a lump-sum to him if he stays on another 10 years.

Note, I would guess (wildly) that this would cost $25 million today.

$50 million would be a great retirement and something to share with the family.

Comment

• The offer from Bama is 4.2M for 6 years. Gregg has till Friday to decide. Word is Lynn and kids don't want to go. Gregg is looking at it as one more move before he retires, so it better be the right financial package. He doesn't want to coach forever. The cons for going to Bama are no real fan commitment to basketball; **** team next year; 2-3 year rebuilding plan; SEC is the SEC, cheating is almost an excepted practice...Bama fans probably alright with it if it yields results. WSU can probably get to 2.1 or 2.2M base, with incentives bringing it to 2.5+. The only reason he leaves is for the money. How much do you really need Gregg? Don't be a gun for hire. Be our coach where you are loved and respected. You have a great and predictable gig here. Don't screw up happy.

Comment

• I agree about the hired gun stuff.

But what worries me is the MVC and the annual dump taken on Wichita State by the selection committee. For crying out loud, Oklahoma - whose athletic director is on the committee - got a virtual bye into the Sweet 16 with a team WSU would pound.

Comment

The offer from Bama is 4.2M for 6 years. Gregg has till Friday to decide. Word is Lynn and kids don't want to go. Gregg is looking at it as one more move before he retires, so it better be the right financial package. He doesn't want to coach forever. The cons for going to Bama are no real fan commitment to basketball; **** team next year; 2-3 year rebuilding plan; SEC is the SEC, cheating is almost an excepted practice...Bama fans probably alright with it if it yields results. WSU can probably get to 2.1 or 2.2M base, with incentives bringing it to 2.5+. The only reason he leaves is for the money. How much do you really need Gregg? Don't be a gun for hire. Be our coach where you are loved and respected. You have a great and predictable gig here. Don't screw up happy.
                          If everything you say is true ... I like our chances due to the bolded part.

Comment

The offer from Bama is 4.2M for 6 years. Gregg has till Friday to decide. Word is Lynn and kids don't want to go. Gregg is looking at it as one more move before he retires, so it better be the right financial package. He doesn't want to coach forever. The cons for going to Bama are no real fan commitment to basketball; **** team next year; 2-3 year rebuilding plan; SEC is the SEC, cheating is almost an excepted practice...Bama fans probably alright with it if it yields results. WSU can probably get to 2.1 or 2.2M base, with incentives bringing it to 2.5+. The only reason he leaves is for the money. How much do you really need Gregg? Don't be a gun for hire. Be our coach where you are loved and respected. You have a great and predictable gig here. Don't screw up happy.
                            Is this a solid source or sources?

I'm not calling you out at all, just curious of veracity.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                              I have heard from some here he is concerned about being able to share the wealth with his family. How about a raise to, say $2.8 million and fund a $50 million 10 year deferred annuity ($50 million at maturity), payable in a lump-sum to him if he stays on another 10 years.

Note, I would guess (wildly) that this would cost $25 million today.

$50 million would be a great retirement and something to share with the family.
                              I like this idea .. Gives him a huge reason to stay.

Comment

I think the third sentence goes to the top of the list of important factors.
                                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Working...
                                X