The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertfoshizzle View Post
    Can I ask a question as an outsider (Cincinnati fan): what would happen if Kansas ever opened up? I know it's unlikely, but let's say next year a really good NBA job opens up and Bill Self leaves. Would Coach Marshall leave for that job? If not, what would it take? Duke? UNC?
    IMO there is only one perfect fit for him outside of Wichita. Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
      The funny thing about that is that everyone here in Kentucky say they don't want him for the same reasons they love Pay Pal Cal...it's ironic and funny!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
        I think Ken-tuck hit aww-hell-no stature for the Marshalls as of about 100 hours ago. Be difficult to unburn that bridge, at this point, one would sure assume.

Comment

Can I ask a question as an outsider (Cincinnati fan): what would happen if Kansas ever opened up? I know it's unlikely, but let's say next year a really good NBA job opens up and Bill Self leaves. Would Coach Marshall leave for that job? If not, what would it take? Duke? UNC?
          Marshall would never go to KU and Are way to PC. Marshall uses the haters to fuel the fire so think maybe Duke, Kentucky. He would have been the perfect replacement for Tark at UNLV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
            Marshall would never go to KU and Are way to PC. Marshall uses the haters to fuel the fire so think maybe Duke, Kentucky. He would have been the perfect replacement for Tark at UNLV.
            Or for Turgeon at WSU
            Last edited by im4wsu; March 23, 2017, 09:24 PM.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              Or for Turgeon at WSU
              That's just crazy enough to work ;)
              I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
              If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Marshall and his staff would look... out of place at KU.

[img]http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/WhatThe****4FaceBook/What%20The%20****s/10312012182312DarthVadergoestodisneyland_zps387df9 de.gif[/img]
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Gregg has never been an assistant at the P5 level let alone a program like KU. While that gives Gregg motivation to grind and to hand those programs their collective a55es, I can't see the flagship being a fit.

They'll want a Mark Turgeon or Jay Wright.

As others have said, Louisville is the only job that would concern me.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    I believe WSU has 8 NCAA victories before Marshall. 1 - 1964, 2 - 1965, 3 - 1981, and 2 - 2006.
                    You're correct, ST, but so is hook89's larger point that WSU basketball under Marshall is a whole different animal than ever before. There were a couple of years of Ralph Miller (and Gary Thompson inherited glory) back in the days of the Valley of Death, flash of brilliance under Smithson, and a brief outburst of national relevance under Turgeon. But Marshall has provided as much national relevance for WSU as possibly all his predecessors combined.

Having said that, though, as big as Marshall's influence has been, he is NOT the program. He'll leave someday, and at that point WSU will have to try to find a successor. It won't be easy -- it never is to try to replace a school's most successful coach ever. (As I've said many times, I'm an Alabama football fan, and I remember unhappily the struggles after Paul Bryant retired and don't look forward to the day Nick Saban does.) But WSU is in a better position than ever before to try to carry on whenever Marshall does finish up. They've made a big-time commitment to basketball, unlike any before; the funds are there for the right coach. The challenge will be to find the right one -- it always is. But they're better placed to stay elite than we ever could have imagined even five years ago, much less 25 years.

Comment

• I think more likely than not HCGM retires here. I also think we dodged a big bullet last year with Texas. If Shaka has another year like this one I would guess they'll be calling for his head. Just for fun, if coach left in the next couple years who would you want; Jans, Forbes, Heiar, someone else? Any of those 3 look great to me. I would probably lean Forbes as the best blend of recruiting, teaching, and in game coaching but that's mostly a guess.
                      Last edited by swiltar71; March 23, 2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        You're correct, ST, but so is hook89's larger point that WSU basketball under Marshall is a whole different animal than ever before. There were a couple of years of Ralph Miller (and Gary Thompson inherited glory) back in the days of the Valley of Death, flash of brilliance under Smithson, and a brief outburst of national relevance under Turgeon. But Marshall has provided as much national relevance for WSU as possibly all his predecessors combined.

Having said that, though, as big as Marshall's influence has been, he is NOT the program. He'll leave someday, and at that point WSU will have to try to find a successor. It won't be easy -- it never is to try to replace a school's most successful coach ever. (As I've said many times, I'm an Alabama football fan, and I remember unhappily the struggles after Paul Bryant retired and don't look forward to the day Nick Saban does.) But WSU is in a better position than ever before to try to carry on whenever Marshall does finish up. They've made a big-time commitment to basketball, unlike any before; the funds are there for the right coach. The challenge will be to find the right one -- it always is. But they're better placed to stay elite than we ever could have imagined even five years ago, much less 25 years.
                        If you read hook89's earlier posts, his point was that WSU and VCU were pretty much the same and that WSU success was mostly recent.

While VCU is a very fine program and has been to 16 NCAAs, they only gotten to the S16 1 time...WSU has made the E8 4 times. I would argue that VCU's overall success is the one more recent while WSU has had success in the past as well. Plus, our recent success is better than VCU's.

Fev's point is that WSU has shown what they can do to hold on to a quality coach. During Marshall's time at WSU, VCU will be having their 4th coach in 10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          I believe WSU has 8 NCAA victories before Marshall. 1 - 1964, 2 - 1965, 3 - 1981, and 2 - 2006.
                          You are 100% correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Uh, I'm really not sure what to say, other than the fact that I'm sorry you've been sulking over this one for days now.

Argue against these statements I made in my original post:
                            1.) VCU is a stepping stone school
                            2.) WSU is a better program than VCU

That's all I said in my original post that's caused you to go into a defensive-laden frenzy. If you can't argue against those, then your responses to me on this subject are absolutely meaningless.
                            Lol... ok man.

Comment

• I think WSU is closer to Gonzaga than it is VCU. We've held onto a good coach for 10 years with sustained success, developed a national brand name and garnered the resources to help ensure success for the long term. VCU will continue to be a revolving door of coaches. If and when Marshall leaves, Wichita will be a highly coveted job by all the best assistants and low/mid major coaches looking to get to the next step. Our job would be to find the guy that wants to build on what Marshall created and not just ride the wave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                I think WSU is closer to Gonzaga than it is VCU. We've held onto a good coach for 10 years with sustained success, developed a national brand name and garnered the resources to help ensure success for the long term. VCU will continue to be a revolving door of coaches. If and when Marshall leaves, Wichita will be a highly coveted job by all the best assistants and low/mid major coaches looking to get to the next step. Our job would be to find the guy that wants to build on what Marshall created and not just ride the wave.
                                I would say this is fairly accurate. Other than '11 and the follow up to that in '12, I don't recall VCU having a top 20 program in multiple decades.

Comment

Working...
                                X