No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep. The bar is set. If 3G leaves, then we can pay a top tier coach top tier dollars. We're not gonna go back to paying 500k a year.

Indiana doesn't expect to pay cellar money, and neither will WSU.

Comment

• All true, and very good points, shizzle. WSU has done something very unusual (unique, even?) for a school outside the top tier leagues in its willingness to pay up to keep Marshall because they recognize his extraordinary value.

Still, there's no question that another key aspect of the situation is Marshall's willingness to reject the job-hopping philosophy so prevalent in the coaching ranks, and also his confidence and vision that he could MAKE WSU his next job up the line. Turgeon was in a different $$ ballpark when he was here, but if WSU had offered to double his salary and Larry Brown had played the serpent from the Garden of Eden with him, tempting him with talk of getting to the Final Four at a bigger school, he'd still have been gone, because that was his mindset. (And in fairness, he probably couldn't have done what Marshall has.)

So WSU has done its part, absolutely -- can you name a school that has done it better when it comes to retaining THE perfect coach for them? VCU certainly can't compare. But Marshall also had to recognize that he was the perfect coach for here and this was the perfect situation for him. If he had lacked the vision he's displayed, WSU would have been in the same boat as so many others, and we probably wouldn't be enjoying the golden era we are right now. It isn't just a matter of top tier dollars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
        Come on man... You really can't be that delusional... WSU and VCU are pretty damn similar as programs. We were just lucky enough to get a coach that actually wanted to stay. If 3G left we would be in a situation just like them. I'd actually say in a worse situation since the A10>MVC. Try to keep one foot on the ground man.
        Not only is your statement wrong, but it's actually dated.

Maybe the fact that 3G has stuck through is one of the reasons WSU's job is better than VCU's. It's not my fault there's over a double-sized salary difference between the two programs. Also, our history dwarfs theirs, including our recent history. Our recent history not by much, but it does.

Try to keep up there skippy.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Not only is your statement wrong, but it's actually dated.

Maybe the fact that 3G has stuck through is one of the reasons WSU's job is better than VCU's. It's not my fault there's over a double-sized salary difference between the two programs. Also, our history dwarfs theirs, including our recent history. Our recent history not by much, but it does.

Try to keep up there skippy.
          How much of that difference in salary is paid for by the 8th richest person in the world that lives down the street? If Koch decided he was done giving we would be in the same position as them. The last 10 years at each program is pretty damn similar. They are both GREAT programs that have risen to promanance the last decade. Let's not turn into the narcissistic type of fans like those that root for the Jayhawks...

Comment

How much of that difference in salary is paid for by the 8th richest person in the world that lives down the street?
            With no inside info, I imagine it's a lot less than people (inside and outside Wichita) think.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Billy Donovan to Indiana is latest rumor. I like it. Slows the carousel.
              Professional gas passer.

Comment

• This is a year old, but ought to provide some perspective on coaching salaries.....

Comment

How much of that difference in salary is paid for by the 8th richest person in the world that lives down the street? If Koch decided he was done giving we would be in the same position as them. The last 10 years at each program is pretty damn similar. They are both GREAT programs that have risen to promanance the last decade. Let's not turn into the narcissistic type of fans like those that root for the Jayhawks...
                  I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive about VCU. Donors also contribute to better programs. I'm not sure why you'd be holding that against WSU but it's another reason why WSU is a better program. How many coaches has VCU gone through in the last 10-15 years? How many has WSU gone through?

Facts are hard.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive about VCU. Donors also contribute to better programs. I'm not sure why you'd be holding that against WSU but it's another reason why WSU is a better program. How many coaches has VCU gone through in the last 10-15 years? How many has WSU gone through?

Facts are hard.
                    It's a good point. If VCU was on equal footing with WSU in terms of resources, their benefactors would have stepped up more than they have. VCU has the benefit of geography (east coast/recruiting) and conference affiliation. Those are 2 big things they have in their favor where they can get away with a lower salary, but VCU is one bad coaching hire away from being mediocre, ala George Mason.

Comment

My understanding is that was a good number of concerned Wichitans who met at Flinthill's International to discuss Bama's pursuit of Gregg and what they could offer to keep him in Wichita. Probably some of them live in that community and many of them have buildings named after them. It didn't sound to me to be a one person situation although CK may have been involved. Others on this fine forum may have more information on these events.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        My understanding is that was a good number of concerned Wichitans who met at Flinthill's International to discuss Bama's pursuit of Gregg and what they could offer to keep him in Wichita. Probably some of them live in that community and many of them have buildings named after them. It didn't sound to me to be a one person situation although CK may have been involved. Others on this fine forum may have more information on these events.
                        The coach's club is legit and made up of many local folks. Contribution levels vary, but about half of the coaching salaries, including the assistants, come from these donations. That is my understanding.

Comment

• I would guess the next coach will not make HCGM money unless the hire is considered to be a proven top ten coach

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            This is a year old, but ought to provide some perspective on coaching salaries.....

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...ketball/coach/
                            Isn't Marshall also scheduled for a $500K raise next season under his contract?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                              The coach's club is legit and made up of many local folks. Contribution levels vary, but about half of the coaching salaries, including the assistants, come from these donations. That is my understanding.
                              A relatively small number of donors came up with the majority of the money used to pay the huge salary GM is payerd. Without them there is no GM, likely no recent sustained success, and no invite from any conference. We owe that generosity, almost everything that we are experiencing today.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                                Isn't Marshall also scheduled for a $500K raise next season under his contract?
                                Yes, 2018 base goes to 3.5 million

Comment

Working...
                                X