No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And on a stupid side note that is pointless for any reason other than fun... I would really get a kick out of it if Marshall coached here for a few more years and then said "screw it, I'm happy, my family is happy, I've won a title... I'm going home and taking the job at College of Charleston" in a classic Marshall move. Probably in the midst of an offer on the table from UNC. He would be the ultimate NCAA hero.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Best for your family doesn't always mean money. Leaving for more money means only that; leaving for more money. Just say it.
      Side note: if we're really honest with ourselves, an unquenchable quest for more money can be the worst thing for your family.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
        Only reason marshall always says "I will listen to offers" is because he is leaving the invitation open for the 5 select schools he actually would leave for someday. He probably wants them to be aware that he will listen if THEY come with an offer. We all have a pretty good idea who those are. But for some reason all the mid level BCS programs think somehow he could possibly be interested in them because he says he will listen. Those comments were never about that. He's just marketing himself for a future offer at the very top.
        This is true but maybe not the ONLY reason. One other thing that saying "I will listen to offers" has done is motivate the WSU administration and boosters to keep offering pay raises so that he will have little incentive to leave.
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
          Side note: if we're really honest with ourselves, an unquenchable quest for more money can be the worst thing for your family.
          Absolutely. I often tell my employees that life is about choices/sacrafice. Sometimes you need/want more money for the benefit of your family. Sometimes you need/want more time with your family at the loss of money.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• My parents have some friends in the ag business. Extremely successful . They want for nothing materially. New homes, new cars, their kids and grandkids get everything they desire. They are the most miserable unhappy people I have ever encountered.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              I disagree. He's at a level where he will be very wealthy. There's another level where one can garuntee that their children will also be wealthy. There's also the "career goals" aspect of best for family. While one might argue that those are selfish things, I would argue that the pursuit of a common goal can build strength in a relationship. Finally, I'd say that what's best for you and your family can also mean taking less money to be in a certain geographical location or to be closer to friends/family. I think what that term really means is that it's his decision and no decision is necessarily wrong or right.
              Even if I could guarantee future financial wealth for my kids I would not do so. That is irresponsible parenting in my opinion. Now maybe financing an advantageous start is a much better solution. Gregg has already made enough money to do both, are you kidding me! I agree with the line of thought about doing what is best for my family is just a cop out smoke screen. If any coach takes a job where 3.5M turns into 4+M, just be honest and say it is about the $$$. In Marshall!s case he has reinforced time again he and Lynn are HAPPY in Wichita, so tgat would not qualify as a reason to leave and thus would be better for his family. Leaving to a situation to compete for a NC would be a reason to leave...oh, he already has that in Wichita! IF he leaves it will be because of money, which would be a disappointment in my opinion, except for the most blue blood programs. Just my 2-cent ramblings, of which I probably owe Ya a penny.

Comment

• I also hope Gregg realizes the step up to the plate loyalty WSU had made to him in tough times. I am in the camp Gregg will continue to return that loyalty. If he leaves in the next couple of years I will have a different narrative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  My parents have some friends in the ag business. Extremely successful . They want for nothing materially. New homes, new cars, their kids and grandkids get everything they desire. They are the most miserable unhappy people I have ever encountered.
                  I also have several wealthy friends. Some are happy. Some are unhappy. There are other reasons to take jobs than money. To say someone is doing what is best for their family might imply finances, but that's a short-sighted viewpoint.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• I don't see GM leaving Wichita any time soon, Wichita is in theory the same location as we are in Springfield (fly over country), like he said on the Jim Rome show, "he can be on a plane to either coast in a few hours". I would think that another opportunity elsewhere would be a complete rebuild, who wants to do that when you guys have demonstrated that you can just reload every year, the amount of $$$ will go a hell of a long way in Wichita with the low cost of living as opposed to say UCLA land or possibly at some point another school in New York that likes the color Orange. Granted we both might live along way from the beaches, but for a fraction of that salary you can live great in either of our cities, now go wipe the floor today with the Big Blue....Good luck Shox!!!

Comment

• What's best for his family might mean a change in locale at some point. He's made it quite known he doesn't want to coach forever and he wants to retire on a beach. I don't think he's close to making these lifestyle changes yet. He has the ability to coach here for 10+ more years if he wants. That's over $35M in salary (plus incentives) before taxes, which will set him up very nicely into retirement and also get his kids a head start on their lives. If he ever leaves, there's a chance he could fail at a new school and be out in 4-5 years. We all know he could be successful anywhere, but with donor interference, fan base expectations, etc., he could be miserable in a lot of places that look attractive from the outside.

Comment

• Bomani Jones with the hot takes on twitter right now.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Marshall to UK as an assistant.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            I disagree. He's at a level where he will be very wealthy. There's another level where one can garuntee that their children will also be wealthy. There's also the "career goals" aspect of best for family. While one might argue that those are selfish things, I would argue that the pursuit of a common goal can build strength in a relationship. Finally, I'd say that what's best for you and your family can also mean taking less money to be in a certain geographical location or to be closer to friends/family. I think what that term really means is that it's his decision and no decision is necessarily wrong or right.
                            What are you talking about??? 3.5 million per year and you think his children aren't set up to be wealthy for life even if they do nothing on their own. What world do you live in.

Comment

• Is it too bitter to blame our conference for not preparing us for close games?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                                Is it too bitter to blame our conference for not preparing us for close games?
                                Meh, I wouldn't go there. We did fine against Dayton. They will learn from this. Next year should be super exciting
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X