The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    Apparently OSU lowballed with a 1 mil contract and the option to renegotiate if they improved this year. The AD balked at actually renegotiating and Illinois offered 6 year at 3 mil a year. Can't blame him for that
    Good for him. LMFAO at OSU.
    The Assman

Comment

• Marshall to Oklahoma State
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Interesting to see if this pays off for Illinois, it's a bit of a reach to pay $3M per year without a lot of proven success.
        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• And again K state gets caught in a bad version of musical chairs. Webber stays and Underwood is way out of reach. Makes me smile.
          One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• I used think I'd be ok with Marshall moving on. I'd thank him for the great ride as a fan/alumi and hope it could continue with the right hire after him because it's always better to hiring because your coach moved on, not fired. But now Marshall has kind of made himself the leader of the non-power conferences. He's the face out there calling out the wrongs of the establishment and if he were to bolt for a power conference job I'd be extremely disappointed. If you can't beat'em join'em doesn't seem like any kind of phrase that would ever come out of his mouth.
            Turg was great for the rebuilding of this program but everyone (fans & followers of the program) knew he never felt comfortable in his skin here in Wichita. I was surprised he stayed as long as he did. Marshall has embraced it here. He's defiantly been more what it could be, what it is than what it is not.
            You never know what really drives or motivates great coaches; money, fame, winning, a sense of belonging, shaping young men etc. So who knows what Marshall really needs to feel "complete" in his career. I understand that Marshall staying the rest of his career is still looked at as highly unlikely by many, but he's given me and a lot people around here as well as some national media folks the idea that it isn't the craziest thing ever to call Wichita a destination.
            If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
              I used think I'd be ok with Marshall moving on. I'd thank him for the great ride as a fan/alumi and hope it could continue with the right hire after him because it's always better to hiring because your coach moved on, not fired. But now Marshall has kind of made himself the leader of the non-power conferences. He's the face out there calling out the wrongs of the establishment and if he were to bolt for a power conference job I'd be extremely disappointed. If you can't beat'em join'em doesn't seem like any kind of phrase that would ever come out of his mouth.
              Turg was great for the rebuilding of this program but everyone (fans & followers of the program) knew he never felt comfortable in his skin here in Wichita. I was surprised he stayed as long as he did. Marshall has embraced it here. He's defiantly been more what it could be, what it is than what it is not.
              You never know what really drives or motivates great coaches; money, fame, winning, a sense of belonging, shaping young men etc. So who knows what Marshall really needs to feel "complete" in his career. I understand that Marshall staying the rest of his career is still looked at as highly unlikely by many, but he's given me and a lot people around here as well as some national media folks the idea that it isn't the craziest thing ever to call Wichita a destination.
              I would be disappointed, but I would wish him well. I mean, the guy has shown how loyal he is. Even if he did move on it doesn't make the WSU job any less valuable. In the end he has to do what is best for him and his family. I can't fault him no matter what.

And Turgeon was conflicted I believe. He loved it here and was comfortable. But when your mentor is telling you to hit the road to a big conference as soon as possible it makes it tough. I had an interaction with him during the Final Four run and I truly believe he misses Wichita in a lot of ways and holds a lot of fond memories for here.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• OSU fans are pissed because Underwood said after the loss yesterday that he loved his job and is a loyal guy. And then not even 24 hours, he takes the Illinois job, in a move that his AD didn't even see coming.

And that's why you have to appreciate Marshall's honesty in topics like these. Underwood now comes off as a dishonest, lying sack of ****.

We are lucky we have a coach that wins, has a winning culture, and more importantly is just a great human being. Period.

And by the way, OSU fans seem to be pushing hard for Gottlieb. Are they mental? He has ZERO coaching experience. ZERO. He's a blowhard with ZERO recruiting connections. I mean, if OSU fans want him, whatever, but OMG would that be monumentally awesome to watch happen? He would get buried.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  And by the way, OSU fans seem to be pushing hard for Gottlieb. Are they mental? He has ZERO coaching experience. ZERO. He's a blowhard with ZERO recruiting connections. I mean, if OSU fans want him, whatever, but OMG would that be monumentally awesome to watch happen? He would get buried.
                  Lest we forget, OSU is still located in the state of Oklahoma. That said, I don't believe even a bunch of Okie administrators would be so dumb as to hire someone who has zero coaching experience. With Underwood, in addition to the money differences, I believe over the last year he has had an opportunity to see just how hard it is to recruit to Stillwater Oklahoma.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I hope he gets the job so I can watch the meltdown but I don't think even OSU is that stupid.
                    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Oh please let Marshall have a chance to coach against Goatlube next year in Stillwater.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                        Oh please let Marshall have a chance to coach against Goatlube next year in Stillwater.
                        Exactly what I was thinking!
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                          I used think I'd be ok with Marshall moving on. I'd thank him for the great ride as a fan/alumi and hope it could continue with the right hire after him because it's always better to hiring because your coach moved on, not fired. But now Marshall has kind of made himself the leader of the non-power conferences. He's the face out there calling out the wrongs of the establishment and if he were to bolt for a power conference job I'd be extremely disappointed. If you can't beat'em join'em doesn't seem like any kind of phrase that would ever come out of his mouth.
                          At the beginning of the practice when Wessel was a freshman, Marshall had 20 of us in the room and looed at the countdown clock and said, in a minute and twenty eight seconds, I get to do what I love to do the most -- teach! The recruiting, administrative tasks, interviews, fund-raising, all that other stuff that has to be done, you can have it all if you can just let me teach young men to play the game the right way and live their lives the right way. Now, let's go do what I like to do.

I can't tell you that he still thinks that way, but I believed him then and I have to believe that still is what turns him on. As long as he can recruit the kind of kids that want to learn and live right and is successful on the floor with those kinds of recruits, I believe he has every reason to stay here. I'm still not certain that the elite P5 job fits the bill as well as what he's got here. There are 4* and 5* players that will submit completely to his plan, but they may be much harder to find than what he's currently recruiting.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Job security, a good work environment, good pay, chance to succeed at the highest level. What else does someone really want? Maybe a chance to do all that around your best friends and family? I can't really think of anything else.

Comment

• Skew the vote.

Comment

• I mean... gottlieb does have an uncertain future. It would be wise for him to see about this coaching idea right now in particular

Comment

Working...
                                X