Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    a comment on that article.

In what world has Gregg's "stock" slipped. If anything, he's just no longer mentioned because people realize he has a better gig that 99% of the jobs that open up.
    At least this is new and different. How'd it go historically? Step 1. We will obviously get Marshall because we're X (in a good conference, a great program, going to pay a lot, whatever). Step 2. Marshall declines Step 3. We never wanted him anyway because of X (our new coach was the better option, he has a bad attitude, he can't recruit, whatever).

Comment

• But boy were those Alabama and Memphis fans adorable.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
        I think it's funny that these low level P5 sites always give fan service trying to find some reason a "name" coach would consider them.

While Muller might be a good fit, I thought this line was funny:

Umm...
        Is Champaign closer to Cook County Jail than Normal is? If so l, he could be a good fit and closer to a recruiting hotbed.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          I think Gregg has got waaaay too much good to even consider it. Great crop of young talent. A huge center next year. Possibly a second one. Why rebuild a NC State or Illi or Texas??? The only way I see him potentailly needing to leave is if the "powers that be" (networks) snub him this year with a 29-5 record. If that ultimately happens (which would seem impossible)...then he may be forced to have second thoughts. Even then though...its seems highly unlikely.
          I said the same thing to someone at work today. A snub and he might go but not for nc state.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussDaBus View Post
            http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...wolfpack-coach

NC State open. I do not believe Gregg would be interested but I am sure he will be mentioned.

Gottfreid had 3 years of base salary left on his deal; 2.28 mil

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              Gottfreid had 3 years of base salary left on his deal; 2.28 mil
              That will certainly limit what they can offer their new coach. I obviously don't know the whole story, but it sure seems stupid to can a guy that you owe that much money to and who has made the tourney consistently.
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• I think that was 2.28 REMAINING not per year for Gott but maybe not. Gregg's got it good here and he knows it. Really good next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker3435 View Post
                  I think that was 2.28 REMAINING not per year for Gott but maybe not. Gregg's got it good here and he knows it. Really good next year.
                  No Gottfried was making about 2.25 million a year.

Comment

No Gottfried was making about 2.25 million a year.
                    Yeah, I read it wrong.

Comment

• So they only need to come up with a little over $1 mil a year more than they are currently paying for 5 years or about $5.5 million just to make 3G an equal offer. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        Yeah, I read it wrong.
                        It was written wrong

Comment

• I think it is not only important to consider what the outgoing coach made, but also what the current football coach makes. Most, maybe nearly all, P5 schools are not going to pay their basketball coach more, or significanlty more, than their football coach.
                          Football drives the bus at the P5 schools.

According to USAToday, Gregg is the 9th highest paid coach, heck, he is one spot of Kevin Ollie, who has a national championship to his name.

I cannot pretend to know any of the factors that would drive Gregg to another school, but would pay really be in the top 5 reasons?

He is beloved, nearly iconic, if not already there, gets paid very well, gets to recruit and coach the type of players HE wants to coach. (Ask Shaka about that.)

I don't unerstand the angst of some posters.

Ultimately, when he leaves, are we not in a great position to hire an outstanding replacement?

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                            I think it is not only important to consider what the outgoing coach made, but also what the current football coach makes. Most, maybe nearly all, P5 schools are not going to pay their basketball coach more, or significanlty more, than their football coach.
                            Football drives the bus at the P5 schools.

According to USAToday, Gregg is the 9th highest paid coach, heck, he is one spot of Kevin Ollie, who has a national championship to his name.

I cannot pretend to know any of the factors that would drive Gregg to another school, but would pay really be in the top 5 reasons?

He is beloved, nearly iconic, if not already there, gets paid very well, gets to recruit and coach the type of players HE wants to coach. (Ask Shaka about that.)

I don't unerstand the angst of some posters.

Ultimately, when he leaves, are we not in a great position to hire an outstanding replacement?
                            I don't think any of us are antsy about 3G leaving at this point. For me its amusing to see his name tossed out there with every P5 job that comes open and the discussion is a good way to pass the time between games.

As far as a replacement for when Gregg retires or leaves, I think we'll be in a good but not great position. A lot will depend on what conference we are playing in at the time. If we are still in the Valley we would likely not be able to bring in an experienced HC with a strong resume, we would probably need to gamble on a young head coach or assistant and it would be boom or bust. Plus replacing a legend (I firmly believe Gregg will be thought of as such around here by the time he is done) is a difficult thing to do without suffering a dropoff.
                            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• The only thing that has worried me since around 2014 or so is conference affiliation. I think Gregg is willing to suffer through the conference affiliation as long as he feels it doesn't make winning a national championship impossible. Getting stuck in the play-in game last year probably made that thought creep into his mind. Getting stuck in the play-in game or left out altogether would probably make that concern extremely obvious to him and he would have to do something to fix that concern.

Comment

a comment on that article.

In what world has Gregg's "stock" slipped. If anything, he's just no longer mentioned because people realize he has a better gig that 99% of the jobs that open up.
                                In the world of butt-hurt Texas fans...

Comment

Working...
                                X