The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    What does Andy Enfield have to do with this? USC hired him. UCLA hired Steve Alford.

And rumor had it that when the team was out in LA for the Sweet 16/Elite 8, Lynn was not impressed with the traffic and was ADAMANT that they weren't ever moving there.
    Contrary to any rumors about Lynn (I actually heard she loved LA especially eating at the Ivy), this was the one job I was really concerned about. But as several have pointed out, Gregg's agent told UCLA he would talk once the tournament was over. They decided not to wait and quickly moved to Steve Alford. Full disclosure here. As a kid, I grew up as a bit of a UCLA fan (loved Walton & their uniforms) and thought they made a huge mistake not waiting for Gregg Marshall. Thought he could be the guy to bring them back as a perennial power. Plus I never thought Alford was a very dynamic coach. Certainly as an adult fan, happy for Wichita State. And for the record--for whatever that's worth--I now believe Marshall will stay here for the remainder of his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      What does Andy Enfield have to do with this? USC hired him. UCLA hired Steve Alford.

And rumor had it that when the team was out in LA for the Sweet 16/Elite 8, Lynn was not impressed with the traffic and was ADAMANT that they weren't ever moving there.
      Correct, thanks. My point may or may not still stand. I think GM>Steve Alford but I suppose one could make an argument to the contrary.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
        Word is that he wasn't offered.
        Not that I'm mad, but that AD was fired for multiple instances of douchebaggery.

He seemed to hire coaches who would kiss the ring.

You know that was never going to happen...
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

• Only ELITE need apply.

Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
            Not that I'm mad, but that AD was fired for multiple instances of douchebaggery.

He seemed to hire coaches who would kiss the ring.

You know that was never going to happen...
            Correct, but again, he wasn't offered.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Cal happy at Kentucky.

Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• "Profile of a Possible Savior REDUX: Gregg Marshall" - SB*Nation

Spring 2011, after years in the wilderness, NC State parted ways with Sidney Lowe and were in the business of finding someone to save us. The media portrayed us as being rejected numerous times, so...

Article takes look at Mark Gottfried's tenure at NC State and how things might have been, had North Carolina State ended up with Coach Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  "Profile of a Possible Savior REDUX: Gregg Marshall" - SB*Nation

Spring 2011, after years in the wilderness, NC State parted ways with Sidney Lowe and were in the business of finding someone to save us. The media portrayed us as being rejected numerous times, so...

Article takes look at Mark Gottfried's tenure at NC State and how things might have been, had North Carolina State ended up with Coach Marshall.
                  I was going to post a link to the story but Reaper beat me to it. The comment about "zero high major experience" angers me, because presently, WSU is absolutely high major (2010-11 NIT Champions (29-8), followed by 2nd Round (27-6), FINAL 4 (30-9), 3rd Round (35-1), Sweet 16 (30-5), & 2nd Round (26-9) compared to NCSTATE over the same period (2010-11 No NCAA Appearance (15-16), Sweet 16 (24-13), Round of 32 (24-11), Round of 32 (22-14), Sweet 16 (22-14), No Appearance (16-17). More Middle to Bottom of the BCS-BS mentality.

Our first analysis in this series took a look at Chris Mooney and led to the clear cut conclusion that Gottfried was a much better hire. This analysis goes in the opposite direction. While these are obviously subjective, Gregg Marshall would've absolutely been a home run hire for NC State. We can discuss the rumors about his personality, we can argue that his recruiting would have to be much better in the current ACC, we can bring up the legit questions that go with zero high-major experience but, flat out, the man has been one of the best in the country over the past 5 years.
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                    I was going to post a link to the story but Reaper beat me to it. The comment about "zero high major experience" angers me, because presently, WSU is absolutely high major (2010-11 NIT Champions (29-8), followed by 2nd Round (27-6), FINAL 4 (30-9), 3rd Round (35-1), Sweet 16 (30-5), & 2nd Round (26-9) compared to NCSTATE over the same period (2010-11 No NCAA Appearance (15-16), Sweet 16 (24-13), Round of 32 (24-11), Round of 32 (22-14), Sweet 16 (22-14), No Appearance (16-17). More Middle to Bottom of the BCS-BS mentality.
                    I start to get angry, but at this point, I just remind myself that I'm thankful so many idiots feel this way. If they weren't so dumb, we might not still have this awesome coach.

Comment

The "zero high major experience" refers to Marshall's coaching experience prior to Wichita State.

Comment

• This isn't an attempt to be snarky, if it was prior to Wichita State the passage wouldn't read "zero".

Comment

This isn't an attempt to be snarky, if it was prior to Wichita State the passage wouldn't read "zero".
                          The relevant text follows

"for years Gregg Marshall was a coach on our radar. During his 9 years at Winthrop Marshall had just enough success to merit consideration for our position...twice. There were those who advocated Gregg Marshall to State before the hiring of Sid Lowe and the calls were much more defining during our last coaching search. Whether or not Marshall was interviewed or ever really considered the job, there were plenty of those in our community who wanted him and for good reason. POAPS figured he'd be better than Herb or Sid because of his solid defensive numbers, the proof that he could build a successful program and connections to the area. Marshall's lack of recruiting history, zero high major experience and (at the time) not much fortune in the NCAAs were his most prominent negatives. Ultimately, POAPS felt that Marshall would unquestionably take the job and that the fanbase would grow to accept him as the new head coach."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                            The relevant text follows

"for years Gregg Marshall was a coach on our radar. During his 9 years at Winthrop Marshall had just enough success to merit consideration for our position...twice. There were those who advocated Gregg Marshall to State before the hiring of Sid Lowe and the calls were much more defining during our last coaching search. Whether or not Marshall was interviewed or ever really considered the job, there were plenty of those in our community who wanted him and for good reason. POAPS figured he'd be better than Herb or Sid because of his solid defensive numbers, the proof that he could build a successful program and connections to the area. Marshall's lack of recruiting history, zero high major experience and (at the time) not much fortune in the NCAAs were his most prominent negatives. Ultimately, POAPS felt that Marshall would unquestionably take the job and that the fanbase would grow to accept him as the new head coach."
                            Please refer to my original post, where in the conclusion of the article they state that HCGM's experience is still a discussion issue. I will again quote the relevant passage, bold for emphasis:

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                            "Profile of a Possible Savior REDUX: Gregg Marshall" - SB*Nation

Our first analysis in this series took a look at Chris Mooney and led to the clear cut conclusion that Gottfried was a much better hire. This analysis goes in the opposite direction. While these are obviously subjective, Gregg Marshall would've absolutely been a home run hire for NC State. We can discuss the rumors about his personality, we can argue that his recruiting would have to be much better in the current ACC, we can bring up the legit questions that go with zero high-major experience but, flat out, the man has been one of the best in the country over the past 5 years.

Comment

• Just goes to show you; assessing coaching talent is as subjective as assessing HS players talents. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. But, we got the Home Run, not NC State!

Comment

• I wonder if anyone in this fine forum has maybe heard in an interview or question asked to Coach Marshall???

"Coach...what do you think has been the biggest difference in your NCAA Tourney success between Winthrop and Wichita St. In other words...why do you think you've had greater NCAA Tourney success at Wichita St.?"

If the answer is "better athletes"...then how would any writer not be able to understand how Marshall taking the NC State job wouldn't translate to better athletes in the ACC? I bet NC State wishes they could go back in time. Lol Their complete loss and obviously our complete WIN!!!
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X