The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sabretooth View Post
    You can take ou wha you yet it still doesn't change the fact that its easier to recruit high level kids to Memphis than Wichita. We had to face a similar reality when Kentucky came calling on Calipari. Cal had turned down South Carolina. He had turned down Arkansas. He had turned down NC State. We had actually began to believe he loved the community so much, he'd turn down Kentucky, too. We were wrong. Again, I have no idea if Memphis is going to put together the kind of package to go after a guy like Marshall, but it sounds like on the surface, they are aligning the right people to do so. If they do, he'll have a tough decision to make.
    Kentucky is to Memphis what Memphis is to Wichita State

lol

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Sounds like Sabretooth is a true blue, so to speak, Memphis booster. Good luck to him and their new coach.
      I've done what I can for the past 30 years or so. Memphis is a unique situation... kind of like Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
        If you take out Memphis' vacated NCAA Tournament results
        I don't live in that fantasy land...Memphis' 1985 and 2008 runs happened...so did the michigan fab five...Cal/Camby's run at UMass...vacating is a silly punishment, but i'm glad they do it, it's like a slap on the wrist.

Comment

You can take ou wha you yet it still doesn't change the fact that its easier to recruit high level kids to Memphis than Wichita. We had to face a similar reality when Kentucky came calling on Calipari. Cal had turned down South Carolina. He had turned down Arkansas. He had turned down NC State. We had actually began to believe he loved the community so much, he'd turn down Kentucky, too. We were wrong. Again, I have no idea if Memphis is going to put together the kind of package to go after a guy like Marshall, but it sounds like on the surface, they are aligning the right people to do so. If they do, he'll have a tough decision to make.
          Sit down for this because you might have a Sixth Sense moment here: The variations between UM and WSU bear no resemblance whatsoever to the gaping chasm that exists between UK and UM (and WSU for that matter).

The Wall Street Journal just came out with men's CBB program values a couple of weeks ago. Memphis and WSU are literally tied for the same hypothetical market value.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
            I don't live in that fantasy land...Memphis' 1985 and 2008 runs happened...so did the michigan fab five...Cal/Camby's run at UMass...vacating is a silly punishment, but i'm glad they do it, it's like a slap on the wrist.
            They officially did not happen. You cheat ... Doesn't count.

Comment

• Go look at Memphis recruiting and try to justify Memphis not being a good job. Pastner was able to get 4 and 5 star guys fairly easily. Imagine what Marshall could do there... IMO Memphis is WSU in a better conference. Where they are now is the position WSU is striving to be in. Gregg Marshall could win a Championship at Memphis.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
                Seriously?

Cheating is cheating, regardless at what point the punishment is laid out. If WSU wouldn't have been "slapped on the wrist" in the early 1980's then we might have a prettier "history" too, and could say the same thing you're trying to convey here.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                  Kentucky is to Memphis what Memphis is to Wichita State

lol
                  Its just called reality when a better situation comes along. Memphis is a top 20 job. The fans at UCONN might argue, but its really the best gig in its conference in terms of fan base, facilities and access to talent; and with the right coach, its a program that can consistently be a nationally relevant program. Your coach knows this and its why he let a certain journalist at CBS Sportsline know he'd be interested if the interest were truly reciprocal. Now, it could be just another ploy to help keep himself in the spotlight... and coaches consistently use that tactic... but we'll know in the next week if there is anything to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                    Go look at Memphis recruiting and try to justify Memphis not being a good job. Pastner was able to get 4 and 5 star guys fairly easily. Imagine what Marshall could do there... IMO Memphis is WSU in a better conference. Where they are now is the position WSU is striving to be in. Gregg Marshall could win a Championship at Memphis.
                    Absolutely no way you can draw a correlation between Pastner's recruiting, and Marshall's. That's basically all JP is, a fantastic recruiter, but terrible developer and in-game coach. Marshall is essentially the mirror opposite of that. Not saying Marshall is a bad recruiter, but it is not a secret that he recruits for his system, and not off of stars and HS accolades.

Comment

• Memphis Athletic Department revenues (less football) - $28,043,632

Wichita State Athletic Department revenues (no football) - $25,322,855

Yet fans from one of those schools is trying to big time the other. Go figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Sit down for this because you might have a Sixth Sense moment here: The variations between UM and WSU bear no resemblance whatsoever to the gaping chasm that exists between UK and UM (and WSU for that matter).

The Wall Street Journal just came out with men's CBB program values a couple of weeks ago. Memphis and WSU are literally tied for the same hypothetical market value.
                        I don't know how the Wall St Journal determined its methodology, but Memphis has always hid its football losses with basketball money. The Tiger Scholarship Fund, which is the primary pool of funds that pays the athletic departments bills, are raised through sale of basketball seat licenses. Memphis basketball generates far more money than Ole Miss' or Auburn's so I'd really question how the data was supplied and applied. I'd expect WSU generates a heck of a lot more money than Ole Miss does, too.

Comment

Marshall may very well elect to stay put; however, there is no denying the fact that Memphis offers him a better chance to consistently recruit the level of player who would enable him to contend for national titles. Now, that may not be important to Coach Marshall... and there is much to be said for being happy...but do not fool yourself into believing the Memphis job does not offer the right coach the chance to consistently compete at an elite level.

Personally, I believe Memphis is just the kind of program to appeal to a guy like Marshall. I think he likes being outside the Power 5 and is motivated by taking on the establishment. Too, Memphis is a program, much like Wichita, where the city/ region is invested and the basketball program is the #1 story in the market. Everything he has at Wichita, he would have more of at Memphis; yet he'd also live in a city that handed Josh Pastner 4 HS All-Americans (Eliot Williams, Joe Jackson, Adonis Thomas, Austin Nichols) and helped him land 3 more in Will Barton, Jalen Kendrick and Shaq Goodwin. 7 HS All Americans in 7 seasons at Memphis. How many has Wichita helped Marshall land? I know VanVleet was an 150 guy out of HS but its tough to consistently win on an elite level w/o consistent access to elite talent.

I respect the Wichita program and appreciate the support of the fanbase. I also respect the heck out of your coach because he has elected to remain loyal to y
                          Those recruits got him 2 missed NCAA tourneys in a row, a beat down by the Shockers, and a new job.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            Those recruits got him 2 missed NCAA tourneys in a row, a beat down by the Shockers, and a new job.
                            Josh was not a good coach.

Comment

Marshall may very well elect to stay put; however, there is no denying the fact that Memphis offers him a better chance to consistently recruit the level of player who would enable him to contend for national titles. Now, that may not be important to Coach Marshall... and there is much to be said for being happy...but do not fool yourself into believing the Memphis job does not offer the right coach the chance to consistently compete at an elite level.

Personally, I believe Memphis is just the kind of program to appeal to a guy like Marshall. I think he likes being outside the Power 5 and is motivated by taking on the establishment. Too, Memphis is a program, much like Wichita, where the city/ region is invested and the basketball program is the #1 story in the market. Everything he has at Wichita, he would have more of at Memphis; yet he'd also live in a city that handed Josh Pastner 4 HS All-Americans (Eliot Williams, Joe Jackson, Adonis Thomas, Austin Nichols) and helped him land 3 more in Will Barton, Jalen Kendrick and Shaq Goodwin. 7 HS All Americans in 7 seasons at Memphis. How many has Wichita helped Marshall land? I know VanVleet was an 150 guy out of HS but its tough to consistently win on an elite level w/o consistent access to elite talent.

I respect the Wichita program and appreciate the support of the fanbase. I also respect the heck out of your coach because he has elected to remain loyal to y
                              I don't doubt that talent is essential.

But, how did all of those McDonald's All Americans work out for you?
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

It Memphis is a top 20 job. The fans at UCONN might argue, but its really the best gig in its conference in terms of fan base, facilities and access to talent; and with the right coach, its a program that can consistently be a nationally relevant program.
                                Sounds EXACTLY like WSU. BTW, with the right coach WSU can consistently be a nationally relevant program. Wait... IT IS. In fact, it is MORE relevant than Memphis, right now. So I can't see a move happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X