No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I spend too much time as it is reading Shockernet. I cannot imagine a world where I have to spend even more time trolling message boards from other teams to see what is being said about the Shockers. That's just me though.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      This. I've told this to many people. Gregg makes $3mil, and that number jumps to $3.5mil at some point soon. The conversation doesn't begin with him under $4mil, and the YES number probably goes higher than that. Not many schools will pay that for a basketball coach. The ones that do might not want a coach from "mid-major" Wichita State (their logic, not mine).
      And the $3.0M (2015, 2016, 2017) and $3.5M (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021) figures are simply base. His contract is loaded to the gills with perks and incentives.

This year wasn't necessarily spectacular (in the context most had hoped and anticipated), and he will get another $241K in various incentives on top of the $3.0M base. If he wouldn't have been screwed out of the MVC COY honors, and if we would have been seeded fairly in the tournament and (for example) reached the S16, you could've added another $85K onto that.

All this is in addition to non-cash benefits like use of private jet for recruiting and family trips, multiple country club memberships, two free cars, and an entertainment expense account in the five figures.

There are stark few other coaches in this country that are compensated better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        This thread is for laughs. No one seriously believes that Marshall is going to Vandy. On top of that, there is ZERO evidence they have even contacted him. The Vandy board took a flightaware plan (which was for maintenance) and turned it into that they are bringing dump trucks of cash to Marshall and there is no way he would turn them down (sound familiar). That's the funny part.
        Yes, this is the exact extent of it. Someone in their camp noticed one of their booster's planes was headed for Wichita, probably didn't realize what goes on in Wichita in that context, and a certain segment of their fan base ran with it like wildfire. There is quite literally nothing more to it.

If that Citation hadn't moseyed it's way towards Wichita on Monday morning, there would be no discussion happening on either end of the interwebs. Just like there's (unsurprisingly) no discussion on either end when it comes to the GT opening right now (which is an almost identical opportunity analog to the Vandy job).

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
          Vandy should hire Muller...seriously....please???
          Maybe as an assistant?

Comment

• Originally posted by tcstephenson View Post

As to some of the stuff posted in here, though -- Will Wade was never offered a contract by Vanderbilt and quite likely signed an extension with VCU because he was farther down Vanderbilt's candidate list than he thought he might be, and Jeff Capel was a name that from best anyone can tell was floated by his own agent because nobody connected to the search has even mentioned him as a candidate for the job.
            Feel free to come by vcuramnation as well. im guessing you believe the above, since you wrote Will Wade would be the most likely to accept the job if offered - and since he didn't, he wasn't offered? Other schools keep stating that mantra about Gregg Marshall and used to about Shaka Smart. It's the whole "well we didn't officially offer" or "he wasn't our #1".

Will Wade was approached by representatives from both Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt within the past week. Even though he has childhood ties to Vandy, he couldn't leave VCU after a year. Had this happened 2-3 years from nowhe may have taken the job.

Sorry shocker fans, don't mean to hijack your thread - just tired of middle pack P5 fans/bloggers assuming they know how things work. VCU had to go through this with NC State, Maryland, Illinois, UCLA and Marquette fans over the past few years (and Texas - but some knew he was bound to take that job). I'm sure you guys are tired of everyone assuming HCGM will jump at any opportunity for a P5 job too.

Comment

Maybe as an assistant?
              Yes, Muller as an assistant with Marshall as the head guy. That'd work out splendidly.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Yes, Muller as an assistant with Marshall as the head guy. That'd work out splendidly.
                I've previously said I think Marshall is a smokescreen on Vandy's end.

Comment

Ha could you imagine. We be hearing stories like "Report:Assistant coach Muller Attempts karate Kick on Head Coach Marshall at first practice"
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Muller sent the scouting report on us to Stallings. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      Muller sent the scouting report on us to Stallings. LOL
                      If that's the best scout he can provide, 3G don't want him. (among other reasons)
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Seriously guys, I heard through a very good source Vandy offered Marshall, but 3G said Maggie couldnt take a job like that until she graduates high school.
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

World War III

Comment

• Originally posted by Gopher+RamFan View Post
                            Feel free to come by vcuramnation as well. im guessing you believe the above, since you wrote Will Wade would be the most likely to accept the job if offered - and since he didn't, he wasn't offered? Other schools keep stating that mantra about Gregg Marshall and used to about Shaka Smart. It's the whole "well we didn't officially offer" or "he wasn't our #1".

Will Wade was approached by representatives from both Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt within the past week. Even though he has childhood ties to Vandy, he couldn't leave VCU after a year. Had this happened 2-3 years from nowhe may have taken the job.

Sorry shocker fans, don't mean to hijack your thread - just tired of middle pack P5 fans/bloggers assuming they know how things work. VCU had to go through this with NC State, Maryland, Illinois, UCLA and Marquette fans over the past few years (and Texas - but some knew he was bound to take that job). I'm sure you guys are tired of everyone assuming HCGM will jump at any opportunity for a P5 job too.
                            sure -- you and I can both spin this how we want, but it's a fact that Wade was not offered the job. Was he not offered the job because he told Vanderbilt that it was too soon for him to leave VCU? I'd believe that. But the names that have come out since then (no, Jeff Capel is not a candidate according to anyone other than his agent) make pretty clear that Wade was not the first choice. You don't go into the car lot to buy a Toyota and then change your mind and go for a Porsche.

Sorry to burst your bubble -- not every middle pack P5 fan (which, I'm honestly thrilled that you're apparently mentioning us alongside UCLA and NC State) believes that good mid-major coaches will automatically leave for the first P5 job that calls them and the only reason I thought Wade would jump was because of his personal ties; minus that, I probably would have viewed him as unlikely as I do Marshall.

Comment

sure -- you and I can both spin this how we want, but it's a fact that Wade was not offered the job. Was he not offered the job because he told Vanderbilt that it was too soon for him to leave VCU? I'd believe that. But the names that have come out since then (no, Jeff Capel is not a candidate according to anyone other than his agent) make pretty clear that Wade was not the first choice. You don't go into the car lot to buy a Toyota and then change your mind and go for a Porsche.

Sorry to burst your bubble -- not every middle pack P5 fan (which, I'm honestly thrilled that you're apparently mentioning us alongside UCLA and NC State) believes that good mid-major coaches will automatically leave for the first P5 job that calls them and the only reason I thought Wade would jump was because of his personal ties; minus that, I probably would have viewed him as unlikely as I do Marshall.
                              Not that it really matters too much, but who do you view as the more likely candidates for the Vandy job?
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                                Not that it really matters too much, but who do you view as the more likely candidates for the Vandy job?
                                There's one name bigger than Marshall who's been floated and I don't really buy it. More than likely they'll end up with somebody like Keatts from UNCW, who is not a bad hire at all but the fan base will claim they settled.

Comment

Working...
                                X