No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Norris calls Gregg Marshall "Coach".
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Swinging for the fences: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12545409
      LL&P _\\//

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
        Isn't Grant good friends with Marshall?

Maybe he would tell him not to go there; based off his experience.
        Coaches talk http://www.waltermagazine.com/hoop-d...-championship/

Comment

• I think this video perfectly states why schools like Texas and Alabama may not have much success courting HCGM.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
          "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

• Originally posted by boomshockalocka View Post
            From the article:

The Racers went 58-24 during Gottfried’s three years and twice went to March Madness. That success led to a job offer from Gottfried’s alma mater, where he took a team that was an after-thought – football being far and away the dominant sport in Tuscaloosa – and turned it into a national power, with one Elite Eight run in the national tournament, and a No. 1 ranking. Yet that second-class status rankled a bit.

“We were ranked No. 1 in the country, and you’re on the sixth page of the local paper the day after a game,” says Gottfried. “You go to the Elite Eight, and spring football is the topic of conversation. That can get frustrating, but it’s also part of the turf. You just need to learn that’s the way of life.”

This was with one of their guys too.

If a former player-turned-coach w/ the #1 in the country can't get people to care about basketball, no one will.
            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by boomshockalocka View Post
              Right that was the reason the fans rooted for Grant's to fail this year and encouraged people not to attend games. Look away, look away, look away Dixieland.
              The attendance was pretty good his first 4 years and the fans became disenchanted with his boring style of basketball. For those of you that think we treated Grant wrong by firing him, check this out and tell me if WSU fans would be ok with it.

In 6 years AG was 19-44 in road games and 1-20 against ranked teams. He is not a good coach.

I can't come up with a number but, I would guess that 15-20 of those losses were similar to the way we lost against the Shockers this year. Grant was notorious for freezing up when the games got tight at the end.

Comment

• Top NCAA Basketball coaching salaries: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...abase/7214659/

Obviously from a year ago. Marshall is not going to leave next year especially after his salary is reevaluated this year, but if Marshall is to stay at Wichita State 2-3 years down the line, I think a the number needs to be above Josh Pastner at Memphis. The Wichita State Athletic Dept. may not be able to compensate monetarily like other programs but if our program continues to be successful getting to the tourney and advancing, I see no reason why they couldnt pay him 3 million+ in the coming years.

Four years of consistent national exposure will make recruiting that much easier and will make that one more reason why Marshall will be difficult to pull away from Wichita State.

I'm not blind that Marshall could be gone in a blink of an eye. But I'm also not worried and am thoroughly enjoying our run in the tournament so far. Bring on the Irish!!!
                LL&P _\\//

Comment

• Originally posted by Alabamafan View Post
                  The attendance was pretty good his first 4 years and the fans became disenchanted with his boring style of basketball. For those of you that think we treated Grant wrong by firing him, check this out and tell me if WSU fans would be ok with it.

In 6 years AG was 19-44 in road games and 1-20 against ranked teams. He is not a good coach.

I can't come up with a number but, I would guess that 15-20 of those losses were similar to the way we lost against the Shockers this year. Grant was notorious for freezing up when the games got tight at the end.
                  You're looking at results and not looking at insights. That's why your basketball program will never be as successful as you hope.

Look at Mark Gottfried. He was your coach, you ran him off, he's now @ N. C. State and in the Sweet 16. Why couldn't he do that @ 'Bama?

If you figure that one out, you'll start solving your school's problem.

Simply put, gottfried's failure and Grant's failure are not totally fbased on their ability. No, I think there's a bigger reason.

Until you fix that one, all the money in the world won't help you, and pity the poor coach dumb enough to think he can turn your coaching graveyard into some sort of Nirvana.

Comment

• This season, Rick Barnes and Texas had the best opportunity in six years to have a season that positioned us to contend for a run at the Final Four. Instead we battled with other teams to avoid playing among the First Four. The team too often looked tight -- like a team that was thinking too much instead of playing. We saw players handicapped by a tinge of hesitation, which is all it takes to have a devastating impact on performance. We saw a team that struggled with shot selection and was utterly crippled by turnovers. We saw a group of players who struggled to get in sync with each other, and struggled to close out tight games. We saw a coach struggle to combat these problems, and it's not the first time.
                    That, in the end, is what cost Barnes the support of the fan base, and may well cost him his job as the head coach at Texas.
                    It's been a damn good run, but if there's no way to make a run at the top, it's time we parted ways.

Patterson has been an executive in the NBA and the NFL but always on the business side of operations. If Patterson knows anything about basketball, Barnes isn’t in any jeopardy. Barnes has won more games than any coach at Texas, where basketball does not move the needle. Home games rarely sell out. When they do — for the Kansas game — it is because 4,000 Kansas fans show up.
                    Last edited by jocoshock; March 24, 2015, 07:01 AM.
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• and then the Johnson County mentality, which somehow finds its way to other parts of the state. These are the entitled, arrogant, pricks who pretend that the University of Kansas is the only redeeming cultural, educational, or social experience in the entire state. Some actually have money, most say they have money, but few have ever been taken out of their 50 mile radius comfort zone to understand WTF the rest of us really do or enjoy.

Their world is shrinking around them. Greater KC is starting to get it, and actually has been for a long time. Sunday's game shattered the narrative that has existed these many years. They are done with the "one and done" concept, and hope their coach figures it out. The see the Shox playing like KU used to play.. It is very hard for them. They are confused....
                      Last edited by jocoshock; March 24, 2015, 10:18 AM.
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Good posts about the problems with P5 football first schools. The apathy and out of balance expectations of the fan bases is our greatest retention tool.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• The real problem with the KU one and donee is that they leave for the NBA without demonstrating their dominance. So-so freshman season? Doesn't matter. Still going league.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                            Isn't Grant good friends with Marshall?

Maybe he would tell him not to go there; based off his experience.
                            I'd say that road runs both ways. Who in their right mind would ever accept a job at a coaching graveyard in Tuscaloosa?

Comment

• -Oklahoma State had about 20 fans there. Is there really that much apathy in Stoolwater that Coastal Carolina nearly outdraws you in support?

From what I've seen of the Oklahoma State fan, they keep up with sports, but not anything like the rabid followings the Kansas schools have. Football is what Oklahoma State fans seem to follow the closest and they don't even travel well for that.. They have a mild interest in basketball and if you want a truly good laugh, sit down and watch a baseball game with an Oklahoma State fan. They recognize baseball as a sport,but that is about as far the interest goes.
                              Last edited by bleed yellow; March 24, 2015, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• I'd just like to say that it gets really old every year that during what should be the best time of year for the Shockers we have to deal with talking about this crap. I wish we could all just enjoy the ride. If he leaves, he leaves. Gregg has given us more than we could ever ask for, and if he wants to leave he can and should, he's earned it. It isn't something we should worry about right now, we should enjoy beating KU and Indiana and looking forward to the Sweet 16 against Notre Dame.
                                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X