Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kentucky hasn't... Duke hasn't... Only 9 teams have, and WSU is one of them...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky hasn't... Duke hasn't... Only 9 teams have, and WSU is one of them...

WSU is currently one of only 9 teams in Division 1 to have won an NCAA Tournament game in each of the last 3 seasons (this year included).

Kansas - 9
    Gonzaga - 7
    North Carolina - 5
    Michigan St - 4
    Louisville - 4
    WSU - 3
    Arizona - 3
    San Diego St - 3
    Oregon - 3

That is some impressive company right there. Would've been 4 years running if WSU could've hit the broad side of a barn vs VCU in 2012.
    Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; March 21, 2015, 07:56 PM.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday, thanks for posting. What's the longest current streak? I saw Gonzaga was at 7.

Comment

Well. We couldn't the broad side in against Pitt either. Seems to be a recurring issue.

2nd round games are usually better. :)
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I just added the current streak next to each team in the original post.

Comment

Here's an update on a fun thread. I eliminated the teams that missed this year's tourney. Last night pushed WSU's streak to 4. Each of the other teams have a chance to add 1 to their total in the next 48 hours. The list is down to 7 teams, and WSU can make it 6 with a win tomorrow night over Arizona. Gonzaga is the only other team that has any realistic chance of falling off this list.

Consecutive years making the NCAA Tournament AND winning at least one game:

Kansas - 9
          Gonzaga - 7
          North Carolina - 5
          Michigan St - 4
          WSU - 4
          Arizona - 3
          Oregon - 3

Comment

Mark Turgeon was the first Jayhawk to play in four NCAAs. I believe Tekele was the Shockers' first. But that makes Baker and FVV the first to have won at least one NCAA tournament match in four consecutive years!

Boom!
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I dropped that knowledge bomb on reddit earlier today so I just want to say great minds think alike and all of that jazz.

Comment

Wonder how many guys get to GO to 5 NCAA tourneys as part of the team. Ron and Evan have both been a part of 5 NCAA teams. Although they both red-shirted in one of their 5 trips, that's still a pretty cool thing that I doubt a whole lot of guys can say they've done.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Beating Arizona is also essential to settling a couple more scores for WSU.

1. With a win over Arizona and assuming Buffalo doesn't get in the way, the Shocks get another shot at Jim Larranaga in tournament play -- another chance for Marshall's team to fix a faux pas by his predecessor, just as they did last night for the original Jamar last night against Vandy.

2. Looking way ahead to the regional final (lots of business to do before that point, obviously, as well as some help on the other side of the bracket)... Which would you prefer:
                  a. A shot at Connecticut in honor of all the guys who picked up cheap fouls against Kemba Walker, or
                  b. One more chance for Marshall to remind us all why we're glad he's here, as the Shocks take on Maryland for a trip to Houston?

Meanwhile, the players need to take it one at a time, but I'm not concerned about that -- it's the goofball fans who get to speculate about stuff like this.

Comment

The good news is now we can simply say "consecutive years reaching the round of 32" and don't have to deal with any claims that a play-in game isn't a "real win".

* = Plays round of 64 game today

Consecutive years reaching the round of 32:

Kansas - 10
                    Gonzaga - 8
                    North Carolina - 6
                    Michigan St - 4*
                    WSU - 4
                    Oregon - 3*
                    Virginia - 3
                    Kentucky - 3
                    Wisconsin - 2*
                    Villanova - 2*
                    Dayton - 2*

It is amazing that only these 11 teams have active streaks of 2 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                      The good news is now we can simply say "consecutive years reaching the round of 32" and don't have to deal with any claims that a play-in game isn't a "real win".

* = Plays round of 64 game today

Kansas - 10
                      Gonzaga - 8
                      North Carolina - 6
                      Michigan St - 4*
                      WSU - 4
                      Oregon - 3*
                      Virginia - 3
                      Kentucky - 3
                      Wisconsin - 2*
                      Villanova - 2*
                      Dayton - 2*

It is amazing that only these 11 teams have active streaks of 2 or more.
                      Thanks JH4P, great example of what makes March Madness so interesting for sports fans!

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

2. Looking way ahead to the regional final (lots of business to do before that point, obviously, as well as some help on the other side of the bracket)... Which would you prefer:
                        a. A shot at Connecticut in honor of all the guys who picked up cheap fouls against Kemba Walker, or
                        b. One more chance for Marshall to remind us all why we're glad he's here, as the Shocks take on Maryland for a trip to Houston?

Meanwhile, the players need to take it one at a time, but I'm not concerned about that -- it's the goofball fans who get to speculate about stuff like this.
                        I want Turds Terps. FVV deserves a chance to show the world that he's better than the "point guard" that was "chosen" to be on the Pan Am team instead of him. That was a slap in the face, and I hope he gets retribution.
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Down goes Michigan State!

...and Dayton

* = Still yet to play round of 64 game today

Kansas - 10
                          Gonzaga - 8
                          North Carolina - 6
                          WSU - 4
                          Oregon - 3*
                          Virginia - 3
                          Kentucky - 3
                          Villanova - 3
                          Wisconsin - 2*

Comment

Kansas - 11
                            Gonzaga - 9
                            North Carolina - 7
                            WSU - 5
                            Oregon - 5
                            Virginia - 4
                            Kentucky - 4
                            Villanova - 4
                            Wisconsin - 4

All 9 teams with streaks of 3 or more entering this year's tourney won a game this year.

Comment

And where do we rank in total number of NCAA tournament victories in the last five years?

Comment

Working...
                              X