Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which One of Our Newbies Will Break-Out in NCAA Tourney???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which One of Our Newbies Will Break-Out in NCAA Tourney???

So...we FINALLY get out of MVC play. Nobody "knows" us better than our MVC foes having played all of them twice this season.
    With the MVC shackles now released...light bulb's coming on (hopefully)...and quite possibly a fresh perspective out on the court from a Shocker newbie...

Which One of Our Newbies Will Break-Out in Tourney???
    Rashard Kelly
    6.86%
    Shaquille Morris
    34.31%
    Tevin Glass
    0.98%
    Corey Henderson Jr.
    1.96%
    Bush Wamukota
    7.84%
    Zach Brown
    46.08%
    Rauno Nurger
    0.98%
    Ria'n Holland
    0.98%
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Shaq.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

The fact that no first year guy stepped up this year has been a disappointment. Read where someone described Shaquille to an IU fan as athletic big who could leap, maybe he can jump but he is not a quick leaper. A big needs to step up for WSU to make a deep run....maybe Kelly can ramp it up a click

Comment

Originally posted by WillieJeffJeffries View Post
        The fact that no first year guy stepped up this year has been a disappointment. Read where someone described Shaquille to an IU fan as athletic big who could leap, maybe he can jump but he is not a quick leaper. A big needs to step up for WSU to make a deep run....maybe Kelly can ramp it up a click
        You must have a different definition of quick leaper than me. Also I disagree that no first year guy stepped up this year. Shaq was a big part of the equation during Valley Play and I seem to remember Rashard Kelly with a game winning put back preceded by several big shots that kept us in the game. Zack Brown also had his moments in Hawaii. Maybe the consistency wasn't there but to say nobody stepped up is just wrong IMO.

Comment

There have been moments, but not consistent 15-18 min production game in game out. Outside of the big 3, who do you feel comfortable with putting up quality minutes in the tourney? It will take more than CCB & V to make a deep run. It will be interesting to c how it plays out for the first year guys

Comment

Outside of the big 3, who do you feel comfortable with putting up quality minutes in the tourney?
            Depends on the opponent. I would imagine Wessel will get a lot of playing time against IU. I trust Shaq to get quality minutes against bigger opponents.

Our strategy is going to need to be very different against IU than it would be against (should we be so fortunate to make it to the elite 8) UK. Bush would probably get a surprising number of minutes against UK.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              Depends on the opponent. I would imagine Wessel will get a lot of playing time against IU. I trust Shaq to get quality minutes against bigger opponents.

Our strategy is going to need to be very different against IU than it would be against (should we be so fortunate to make it to the elite 8) UK. Bush would probably get a surprising number of minutes against UK.

Lol, it just so happens I'm the one vote for Bush, cuz I agree, we need a big to step up. Size in the post has given IU problems and any kind of size will b needed against UKkU...

Comment

Zach Brown has the size and athleticism to do some nice things should he be allowed to. Not sure whether its him trying to 'fit in' or coach's request, but it seems to me like he is hesitant to do what comes natural. Seeing him attack the rim against ISUr has me encouraged that he is on the verge of taking a big step forward.
                -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Wow, I am not a bigga fan of Shaq as some, but he is a quick leaper for sure.

Comment

Yea, there are definitely some alley-oop clips suggesting he gets up just fine in a hurry.

Comment

What freshmen in recent memory (not named Fred or Ron) have stepped up and become consistent performers? The truth is we don't typically have freshmen that deliver major contributions; instead that happens in their sophomore or junior years.

With that said, I look for Shaq to contribute most during the tournament, but I also think Zach will turn some heads. Rashard has had moments of brilliance, but he seems to be more of a late bloomer.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        What freshmen in recent memory (not named Fred or Ron) have stepped up and become consistent performers? The truth is we don't typically have freshmen that deliver major contributions; instead that happens in their sophomore or junior years.
                        I'm speaking with slight exaggeration when I say this, but still, this example could be used for the exact opposite point: "Since last year we didn't have any freshmen, the last time we did have freshmen they stepped up huge for us in the tournament. In fact, our last run in the tournament was dependent on two freshmen stepping up."

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                          I'm speaking with slight exaggeration when I say this, but still, this example could be used for the exact opposite point: "Since last year we didn't have any freshmen, the last time we did have freshmen they stepped up huge for us in the tournament. In fact, our last run in the tournament was dependent on two freshmen stepping up."
                          True. One of our freshman was "touched by an angel" and another was "just a humble kid" who scorched some nets. I don't know about you guys, but those two set a pretty high standard for freshman achievement. BTW, I know Shaq can jump, but compared to the 3 headed monster we had last year...well, there is no comparison. I miss Fred being able to drive the lane and toss the ball up within a few feet of the basket for the dunk (I also miss the post d), but I digress.
                          “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                          -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
                            Zach Brown has the size and athleticism to do some nice things should he be allowed to. Not sure whether its him trying to 'fit in' or coach's request, but it seems to me like he is hesitant to do what comes natural. Seeing him attack the rim against ISUr has me encouraged that he is on the verge of taking a big step forward.
                            Zach Brown just doesn't have the confidence on offense yet. He hasn't been willing to take risks in games yet to go for the rim. He has basically shot open 3's and played fine defense. When he begins to take the ball to the rim, he'll begin to shine more. I'd bet that he is already doing it in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                              BTW, I know Shaq can jump, but compared to the 3 headed monster we had last year...well, there is no comparison. I miss Fred being able to drive the lane and toss the ball up within a few feet of the basket for the dunk (I also miss the post d), but I digress.
                              Huh? You are basically describing Shaq in this post.

Comment

Working...
                              X