Mid-Major diss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Major diss

As a old Shocker really getting tired of the Mid-Major level diss. How could we drop to a 7 when a Indiana comes up
    a 10??? How does UNI go to a 5? UCLA getting in at all is a joke. If there is anything that will get GM to leave, it is this,
    kind of no respect for what the entire season means. Does RPI mean nothing?

I am really good with us playing a NAME team like Indiana instead of a Wofford, and would like nothing better than a
    Bill Self hiding KU team after, but come on this is just not right. I really hope UNI can advance as they are really
    good and if we can play some of our kind of play with Shaq and Zach helping we have a chance to go a ways.

Beating Kentucky, don't like that chance again, but hey why not!!!

They have stacked it now to where it doesn't matter how much you lose. It used to. If a team like Texas was this cold going into the tourney they never would have gotten in. But now because thy picked up a few good wins in conference at home, they get in at least.

It is crap.

Comment

You don't think playing in Omaha, a 5 hour trip from Wichita, as a 7 seed is better than playing in Portland or Jacksonville as a 5 seed?

Heck, we got a team that barely should be in the tournament as our 10 seed and a KU team that's been up and down all year with a hurt Perry Ellis as a 2 seed.

I'd say our 7 seed is more of a blessing than a hindrance.

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
        You don't think playing in Omaha, a 5 hour trip from Wichita, as a 7 seed is better than playing in Portland or Jacksonville as a 5 seed?

Heck, we got a team that barely should be in the tournament as our 10 seed and a KU team that's been up and down all year with a hurt Perry Ellis as a 2 seed.

Agreed. The 7 is somewhat of a slight but I'd rather have a decent matchup scenario.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

While I agree in this premise, it's still a slap to the face that they rated us 26 on the curve. That's bullshit and disrespectful if those rankings were truthful.

The committee would get a lot less guff if they just admitted that they bracket the field based on storylines and potential intriguing matchups, instead of putting on the ruse that Georgetown is the 16th best team in the field or that UCLA or Texas deserved to be in safely. It's hogwash.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

👍👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              While I agree in this premise, it's still a slap to the face that they rated us 26 on the curve. That's bullshit and disrespectful if those rankings were truthful.

The committee would get a lot less guff if they just admitted that they bracket the field based on storylines and potential intriguing matchups, instead of putting on the ruse that Georgetown is the 16th best team in the field or that UCLA or Texas deserved to be in safely. It's hogwash.
              The truth will come out next weekend when the B12 crashes and burns and Georgetown loses to a double digit seed for the 6th straight year. The 5 seeds are 4-8 over the last 3 years also. The examples of crappy seeding are embarrassingly abundant..
              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                The truth will come out next weekend when the B12 crashes and burns and Georgetown loses to a double digit seed for the 6th straight year. The 5 seeds are 4-8 over the last 3 years also. The examples of crappy seeding are embarrassingly abundant..
                Even if that happens it will be no consolidation to teams like Colorado State, Richmond, Boise State, and others. In fact, it happens every year and nothing changes.
                “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

gotta schedule tough teams then beat them. We had a chance at Utah and came up short. Gotta prove it on the court when you only get a few chances a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    gotta schedule tough teams then beat them. We had a chance at Utah and came up short. Gotta prove it on the court when you only get a few chances a year.
                    That isn't true. The "then beat them" doesn't apply to P5 teams. They just have to have them on their schedule. They generally get half of them at home. And then some of them are rewarded when they win 15% of those games.

People need to start referencing %s along with the raw Top50 wins if they are going to use that as a criteria. Your criteria says that some teams only get limited chances, usually on the road, so they have to go undefeated in those games to be remotely worthy. That's insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      That isn't true. The "then beat them" doesn't apply to P5 teams. They just have to have them on their schedule. They generally get half of them at home. And then some of them are rewarded when they win 15% of those games.

People need to start referencing %s along with the raw Top50 wins if they are going to use that as a criteria. Your criteria says that some teams only get limited chances, usually on the road, so they have to go undefeated in those games to be remotely worthy. That's insane.
                      I must say, if you are a bubble team who has a great record full if consistent winning and you have to watch Texas, Okay State, UCLA etc get in over you, it's pretty lame. They really did get in just for having good wins and it pays no attention to consistency.

Comment

We have to in those games becuase we don't have enough opportunities to prove ourselves. Texas won some of those game but also lost a bunch of them. Difference is they have more opportunities than we do. I'm not saying it's right, but if we beat Utah, we're a 5 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          We have to in those games becuase we don't have enough opportunities to prove ourselves. Texas won some of those game but also lost a bunch of them. Difference is they have more opportunities than we do. I'm not saying it's right, but if we beat Utah, we're a 5 seed.
                          If we beat Utah, and were a 5 seed, our ranking would be shockingly close to our seed. It would be even more of a joke than the WSU that lost to Utah being a 7 seed. There is no possible way any sane person can make a reasonable argument for WSU as a 7 seed this year. There just isn't. Every single number, metric, and eye test mocks them.

End of the day though, we are in the tournament. I hope the boys are just as angry as me, but much less vocal. I hope they saw that 7 pop up and immediately went to the gym.

However, I'm extremely tired of the "it doesn't matter" crowd. That's bullcrap. There are a lot of reasons it matters. We should be playing a lower seeded team. We should be playing a lower seeded team in the next round, should we advance. And, perhaps most importantly, we should be given what was earned. Things like 28-4 WSU getting a 7 seed and 30-3 UNI getting a 5 seed (don't get me started, that's even more of a joke than WSU at a 7), are exactly the sort of thing that scare me about Marshall leaving. I think he has the money, the support and the amenities he wants to win, right here. But if the cards are going to intentionally be stacked against him every March....

Comment

If we beat Utah, and were a 5 seed, our ranking would be shockingly close to our seed. It would be even more of a joke than the WSU that lost to Utah being a 7 seed. There is no possible way any sane person can make a reasonable argument for WSU as a 7 seed this year. There just isn't. Every single number, metric, and eye test mocks them.

End of the day though, we are in the tournament. I hope the boys are just as angry as me, but much less vocal. I hope they saw that 7 pop up and immediately went to the gym.

However, I'm extremely tired of the "it doesn't matter" crowd. That's bullcrap. There are a lot of reasons it matters. We should be playing a lower seeded team. We should be playing a lower seeded team in the next round, should we advance. And, perhaps most importantly, we should be given what was earned. Things like 28-4 WSU getting a 7 seed and 30-3 UNI getting a 5 seed (don't get me started, that's even more of a joke than WSU at a 7), are exactly the sort of thing that scare me about Marshall leaving. I think he has the money, the support and the amenities he wants to win, right here. But if the cards are going to intentionally be stacked against him every March....
                            Right. Even if it "doesn't matter" this year because we are playing a weak 10 seed and a weak 2 seed, doesn't mean that's the case other years.

One of two things are true in my mind:
                            1. We were disrespected and given a 7 seed. In this situation, it is a coincidence that we got matched up with the teams we got matched up with. It seems impossible, to me, to argue that a 7 seed is fitting.
                            2. The committee fully looks at match-ups, contrary to what we've heard publicly a lot lately. They gave us a 7 seed to see the match-up with KU. Feeling the 7 seed was a little lower than we deserved, they bumped Indiana up a few lines.

It's really hard for me to wrap my head around a different scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                              Right. Even if it "doesn't matter" this year because we are playing a weak 10 seed and a weak 2 seed, doesn't mean that's the case other years.

One of two things are true in my mind:
                              1. We were disrespected and given a 7 seed. In this situation, it is a coincidence that we got matched up with the teams we got matched up with. It seems impossible, to me, to argue that a 7 seed is fitting.
                              2. The committee fully looks at match-ups, contrary to what we've heard publicly a lot lately. They gave us a 7 seed to see the match-up with KU. Feeling the 7 seed was a little lower than we deserved, they bumped Indiana up a few lines.

It's really hard for me to wrap my head around a different scenario.
                              I know we all like to play the disrespect card, but I don't think it's anything more than the committee wanted to place us in Omaha.

There was lots of talk over the last few months that the committee is more interested in keeping teams close to home, than they are worried about seeds +/- a few places.
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                              X